What antenna is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRBComm

Help requested... I moved into a house with an antenna already installed and best I can tell from some preliminary research I think it may be a Cushcraft R-9. Can anyone verify based on the attached picture to confirm which model it is? I can provide additional pictures if needed.

Thank you

antenna.jpg

DRBComm

That would be an R9 but the radials look a bit long or the picture is wide angle right at the base.
It's probably the perspective of the picture but I just measured them and they are 72 inches long. Is that right for an R-9? The manual I found shows them to be 49 inches for an R-9.

K4EET

Chaplain
Sure does look like a Cushcraft R9 antenna. Best thing to do is to sweep it with a good antenna analyzer to see where the SWR dips are to confirm that it is a 9-Band vertical antenna tuned for the amateur bands.

Question for @DRBComm: Is the QTH located at a prime location for a ham? That home "accessory" is a nice addition to the property. How about where the coax run terminated inside the house? Is that a room specially built for a ham station?

73, Dave K4EET

DRBComm

Sure does look like a Cushcraft R9 antenna. Best thing to do is to sweep it with a good antenna analyzer to see where the SWR dips are to confirm that it is a 9-Band vertical antenna tuned for the amateur bands.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I received a response from DXEngineering this morning as well and they think it is a R-9 or R-8. They also sent me links to manuals for each and both of those models have radials that are 49 inches long and mine are 72 inches which leads me to believe it may be a different antenna. Your thoughts...?

Question for @DRBComm: Is the QTH located at a prime location for a ham? That home "accessory" is a nice addition to the property. How about where the coax run terminated inside the house? Is that a room specially built for a ham station?

73, Dave K4EET

The coax and antenna are located right outside the master bedroom so I think that was the prior shack. I am building out an office/ham shack in the back of my garage and will be relocating that antenna closer to that location since my wife does not like the antenna disrupting the view from the MBR and it will provide a shorter feed line run; win/win.

prcguy

I think you nailed it as an AV-680 series as the Cushcraft has two cylindrical traps near the top and the OPs picture does not. Otherwise it looks like one company copied the other.

Looks to me more like the Hy-Gain AV-680 (or from that family). The matching box on the bottom and the drooping radials point me in that direction.

Hy-Gain AV-680 Hy-Gain AV-680 Patriot-Plus HF Vertical Antennas | DX Engineering

Cushcraft R9 Cushcraft R9 Nine-Band Vertical Antennas | DX Engineering

DRBComm

Looks to me more like the Hy-Gain AV-680 (or from that family). The matching box on the bottom and the drooping radials point me in that direction.

Hy-Gain AV-680 Hy-Gain AV-680 Patriot-Plus HF Vertical Antennas | DX Engineering

Cushcraft R9 Cushcraft R9 Nine-Band Vertical Antennas | DX Engineering
I think you nailed it as an AV-680 series as the Cushcraft has two cylindrical traps near the top and the OPs picture does not. Otherwise it looks like one company copied the other.

Well guys, I think you nailed it as a Hy-Gain AV 680. I sent an email to MFJ Support and that's what they came back with as well. The 680 has 72 inch radials so I think we have a match.

Thank you for your input!

DRBComm

UPDATE: a few of the guys came over to help me relocate this antenna and a few questions were raised which led to more research on my part. Now I am feeling it is an AV-640 8-band antenna rather than the AV-680. The puzzling part is that when I reached out to MFJ support before, they confirmed an AV-680 but I reached out to DX Engineering this time and they are confirming an AV-640.

I've attached new pictures to wee what you all think.

PXL_20211029_001510008.jpg PXL_20211029_001526377.jpg PXL_20211029_005443114.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.