Frequencies used by militias in lower Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't expect to get an answer as I'm pretty certain they are private but has anyone confimed any frequencies in use my militia groups in the lower peninsula?

RayAir

I don't expect to get an answer as I'm pretty certain they are private but has anyone confimed any frequencies in use my militia groups in the lower peninsula?

Wouldn't be surprised if they used FBI frequencies given the amount of undercover and informants.

Looking at numerous photos from protests in Lansing, those that appeared to be militia were carrying Baofeng UV5R.
Out of the box frequencies and MURS was in use.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't be surprised if they used FBI frequencies given the amount of undercover and informants.

Looking at numerous photos from protests in Lansing, those that appeared to be militia were carrying Baofeng UV5R.
Out of the box frequencies and MURS was in use.

Interesting I would think by now they would have advanced to digital if not encrypted.

RayAir

Interesting I would think by now they would have advanced to digital if not encrypted.

MURS 3 seems to be popular (analog).

On a side note, I saw a protester carrying and XPR3500, but it was a far left not militia.

If I was within radio range of a protest with far left and far right there I would absolutely love to run radio surveillance.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
At protests last couple years in NH we found various frequencies in use including FRS, GMRS, the Baofeng pre-programmed stuff and MURS. The militia groups you Don't see at protests may be a little more tech savvy and use chirp or whatever and find places to hide. Close Call and maybe some general searches might yield some if able to be close enough.

Hit_Factor

From what I've seen, they generally are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Current radio tech probably too hard for them.

I think they take up camp with Bigfoot and Nellie from lock ness.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
From what I've seen, they generally are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Current radio tech probably too hard for them.

I think they take up camp with Bigfoot and Nellie from lock ness.
From one who used to handle intelligence on these and similar types of groups, don't underestimate them. You'll come up with some surprises.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Maybe KK4UG is right, but from what I've seen, these guys are shallow end of the gene pool/family tree with no branches.
Some may be using higher technology, but most of them are not bright enough to do that. They are usually utilizing cheat sheets that are posted on line. They love the #3 thing (goes back to the 3%'er BS), so CB channel 3, MURS channel 3, FRS channel 3, VHF marine channel 3, you get the idea.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There sometimes seems to be at least one guy lurking in the shadows who's some sort of brainiac. Over the years, I've seen guys with degrees in EE, law and computer science in Skinhead-, Leftist- and anarchy-type groups. Admittedly, it's certainly the exception and not the rule.

RayAir

Yeah, education usually is frowned upon in these groups. Educated people are usually smart enough to see through the B.S.

Maybe they should go nxdn and slap 15-bit scrambling on their radios and call em secure, right?

dmchalmers

Well goes to show you the Kidnap Queen Whitmer rocket scienists used social media to com!!!!!

danesgs

As a ham stated, either way its unimportant. HAMs are suppose to know what frequency range they can and cannot transmit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.