"Command Strips" are your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I recently got an RTL-SDR, and due to my listening habits required an antenna switch. However the thing kept sliding around when pressing the buttons. Now I gotta tell ya, those "Command Strips" are useful for more than hanging pictures on the wall. So, if you don't want to drill holes and ruin your desktop or leave any residue behind if you ever have the need to reposition stuff, consider these.

Command Strip Switch.jpg

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I recently got an RTL-SDR, and due to my listening habits required an antenna switch. However the thing kept sliding around when pressing the buttons. Now I gotta tell ya, those "Command Strips" are useful for more than hanging pictures on the wall. So, if you don't want to drill holes and ruin your desktop or leave any residue behind if you ever have the need to reposition stuff, consider these.

View attachment 109552
PSX_20210915_131810.jpg Yeppers. Can't tell you how valuable 3M double-sided foam tape has been for decades in the radio Hobby. I wish I had a nickel for every roll of this I've used used LOL. Command strips are a good variation. :)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I used that stuff for decades as well, but only on a very limited basis because it takes a nuclear bomb to remove the residue if you try to remove it. Also having the Velcro part lets me take it off to clean and then put it back.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I used that stuff for decades as well, but only on a very limited basis because it takes a nuclear bomb to remove the residue if you try to remove it. Also having the Velcro part lets me take it off to clean and then put it back.
Absolutely oh, I learned that the hard way... When stacking radios or lining up speakers I use a piece about the size of my thumb nail on all four corners. The problem is in the car where you tend to use more to stuff and squeeze radios in The limited space that you have. Goo be gone does the trick to destroy your car... learn that lesson in the early 80s LOL.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I buy those rolls of "Industrial Strength Velcro" at the home improvement store. I put the furry side on the radio, multicoupler, hub etc. and that acts like a felt strip to prevent scratching of the desktop.

When I want to keep it from sliding I place a bit of the hook side of the Velcro where it is to be kept. If I just want it to stop sliding around I use a thin bit (1/8 inch or so wide), if I want it to stay in place during a hurricane I place a larger piece.

The heavy duty Velcro adhesive is very strong and if removed might damage a thin laminate if a full strip is used but should come off cleanly if a very thin piece is used. GooGone usually works well removing adhesive but be sure to test it first on an unseen section to be sure it doesn't create its own issues.

Command Strips work well but in my environment they tend to dry out in a year or so and fall off vertical surfaces when used for heavier loads like washcloths and pictures. I would not trust my expensive electronics to them but they work fine for my headphone hook etc.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
If you stack radios on top of each other inside and don't want them to slide, try using shelf lining. The stuff you put in your kitchen cabinets to keep your glasses, plates, bowls, and such from sliding around and chipping. I use it for my radios and even my TV which sets above my field of vision on a dresser and the back is tilted by a piece of wood wrapped by a piece of shelf liner. It comes in light & dark colors, and designs and the one I found is even mesh like which allows cooling.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

Just a warning that I use some "Command Strips" to hang a clock on a wall. I fell down a year later with them taking the paint off the wall where they were attached.

a417

Just a warning that I use some "Command Strips" to hang a clock on a wall. I fell down a year later with them taking the paint off the wall where they were attached.
I've used them to hold small wreaths on exterior windows around winter time, southerly facing ones die a sunlight faded yellowy death in about a year. Ones that don't get direct sunlight tend to last a bit longer. I don't trust them for much more than decorations.

kb4mdz

3M has some really good tapes in their VHB (Very High Bond) and SuperStrength lines, and similar. Automotive stores carry something the SuperStrength under the name 'Molding Tape' for body moldings. Great adhesive that doesn't let go, these gray foams doesn't degrade like the lightweight white stuff does. I use some of it on the back of a hard-drive magnet on my dash for my microphone. If you really need to remove the item, slow and patient wins the race, then you can kinda roll the residue off & clean with rubbing alcohol.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
That sounds like the paint failed, not the hook.

I have had a Command Strip hook in my locker at work, that I hang uniform items from, for years.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
That sounds like the paint failed, not the hook.

Does not matter. If I had not used the Command Strip and used a nail, I would not have a bad spot on the wall. (Note it happened in two places on the wall and less than the weight limit was being hung. Also note the paint job is the original wall paint not later coatings.) Also, I have had removing them not work as designed, the pull tab broke off leaving the rest still on the wall.

upstatesc

Premium Subscriber
I've had mixed luck with the regular command strips but I've used the large picture hanging Command Strips the OP mentions with success as well. One tip I've found to remove these is dental floss. Get it behind the command strip and just floss it off.. Has never failed me.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The heavy duty Velcro adhesive is very strong and if removed might damage a thin laminate if a full strip is used but should come off cleanly if a very thin piece is used. GooGone usually works well removing adhesive but be sure to test it first on an unseen section to be sure it doesn't create its own issues.

I use the wife's hair dryer and warm up the Velcro and it just peals off easily and clean.

kj4jaq

Gulf of Mexico Galavanter
Premium Subscriber
3M dual lock (3M SJ3560) is my velcro of choice. I have literally pulled a window out of a large ship while trying to remove a GPS tracker that someone had mounted to it using the 3M dual lock velcro. If the surfaces are properly cleaned/prepped the outdoor version is fairly permanent and can hold an insane amount of weight.

3M Dual Lock, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners in Stock - ULINE

N9JIG

Sheriff
3M dual lock (3M SJ3560) is my velcro of choice. I have literally pulled a window out of a large ship while trying to remove a GPS tracker that someone had mounted to it using the 3M dual lock velcro. If the surfaces are properly cleaned/prepped the outdoor version is fairly permanent and can hold an insane amount of weight.

3M Dual Lock, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners in Stock - ULINE
Radio Shack used to sell 3-inch strips of that and you could use it to mount entire radios in vehicles with it. It is silly strong for sure!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.