U.S. Marshals Service P25 TRS (BEE00-4F0)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It goes without saying that no assumptions should be made as to the status of the FCI Danbury 3600 system, so if anyone happens to visit the area to verify that this 406.6125 P25 control channel is actually there, please make sure to also verify the status of the existing FCI Danbury system.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Sites 117 Trumbull and 102 Nassau are both listing 406.6125 as a neighbor. I do not believe site 102 is actually in Nassau County NY. @w2lie have you had any luck tracking down site 102? I am actually receiving it today but most likely due to great skip.

GROL

At those frequencies it is a phenomenon called tropospheric ducting. Not the same skip propagation as with lower frequencies usually below 60 Mhz (grey area) where it reflects off an upper layer of the atmosphere and back down to the ground. A layer of air in the troposphere will be at a higher temperature than the layer below it. The inversion creates a duct for signals to travel along. I don't recall the exact scenario, but there was a record in which an amateur radio operator on the west coast made a contact in Hawaii (3000 miles) on VHF (2 Meters). Google for records of tropospheric ducting. Wiki article Tropospheric propagation - Wikipedia Tropospheric ducting forecasts. https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
At those frequencies it is a phenomenon called tropospheric ducting. Not the same skip propagation as with lower frequencies usually below 60 Mhz (grey area) where it reflects off an upper layer of the atmosphere and back down. A layer of air in the troposphere will be at a higher temperature than the layer below it. The inversion creates a duct for signals to travel along. I don't recall the exact scenario, but there was a record in which an amateur radio operator on the west coast made a contact in Hawaii (3000 miles) on VHF (2 Meters). Google records for tropospheric ducting. Wiki article Tropospheric propagation - Wikipedia Tropospheric ducting forecasts. https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

However it's very hard to be tropo when someone is sitting under the suspected site with a portable, antenna off, still receiving an S5 or better signal at an RSSI of -55 or better which is the situation we're dealing with here for Site 102.

Sites 117 Trumbull and 102 Nassau are both listing 406.6125 as a neighbor. I do not believe site 102 is actually in Nassau County NY. @w2lie have you had any luck tracking down site 102? I am actually receiving it today but most likely due to great skip.

I still believe it's somewhere on Long Island. Site 102 was DF'ed by my brother as such. It was not heard from NJ, NYC, or Connecticut without pointing a yagi at LI.

GROL

Someone referred to SKIP, not siting under a tower. I was attempting to inform that the propagation was a different phenomenon which is really neat! It is seldom known about. Tropospheric ducting can be very short or very long distances. But carries higher frequencies that are line-of-sight signals beyond the horizon. This is interesting. E-Skip and Tropospheric Ducting

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I will have to take my stuff to Nassau next time I am able. I have a pretty far reach when there is no ducting, even further when there is. When there is none, I can still receive signals from NJ and NYC. Maybe site 102 is low power because only time I receive it is when there is ducting.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Central Queens, about 6/10, on par with the signal I receive for MCC and MDC

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Nope, nothing on site 102, but my location has a very high noise floor on VHF bands so I wouldn't use it as a reliable indicator.

west-pac

I thought I almost had one of these sites last night. I saw a 4D5 NAC scroll by on DSD+ main window on 171.2625, but when I was finally able to decode it, it was a MOSWIN site, I believe. 🤦‍♂️👎

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Been watching site 122 for a week and nothing going on at all. No affiliations, denials or grants on this site.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Activity on the Randolph site has picked up somewhat this week. Still an extremely boring system, not just because of the almost total lack of activity despite the presence of a bunch of talkgroups (only one of them has more than a dozen hits), but obviously the full encryption in use. I'm not sure why I'm wasting a dongle and multicoupler port on this system. 🤷🏼‍♂️

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Activity on the Randolph site has picked up somewhat this week. Still an extremely boring system, not just because of the almost total lack of activity despite the presence of a bunch of talkgroups (only one of them has more than a dozen hits), but obviously the full encryption in use. I'm not sure why I'm wasting a dongle and multicoupler port on this system. 🤷🏼‍♂️
The sheer technical joy of getting information?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
If someone has the time and will, I was given information that leads me to believe it may be worth checking around the Nassau District Courthouse in the Town of Hempstead for Site 102. Might be a dead-end, but might be worth it.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Are there any sites in Ocean County?
None that have been identified, otherwise they would've been discussed here or listed in the database. If you live in Ocean County, I would suggest searching through the federal VHF and UHF bands to see if you discover any control channels for 4F0.

bs369

I don't know why either.