P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

ralexander5

Premium Subscriber
Sample of TDMA CC Phase 2 audio (mp3) from Win10 9-18 01:56 version attached. It does sound better. It is from a system about 30 miles out so do have some signal fade. Do you need .wav file report also?

For monitored system the guys in the field were complaining about robotic sounding voice and techs were makings firmware changes.

Attachments

• TG-6202_2021-09-18.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: btt

freqseeker

Here is Washington State Patrol, they talk really fast and brief. I think it sounds good. Windows 10, wav file using version 09-18 01:56.
I will try mp3 next.

Attachments

• TG-59208_2021-09-18.zip
    527 KB · Views: 13

kb8q

Premium Subscriber
Just installed the latest test version (**19_1708) and within a few minutes I had a group of TalkGroup/RID records in the new affiliation log. Even though it seems like the transmissions on the Detroit simulcast system here are non-stop, it's still getting some affiliation info from the control channel. Great new feature. (y)(y)

btt

Banned
Banned
There is also a new log file created for "emergency response messages" from the control channel (TSBK with opcode=0x27).

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd,
Any updates on the next production run?
The prototype units were modified and sent back out. Testing has resumed in 2 locations. As of this morning, one location is working excellent in a P1/P2 simulcast area and I'm waiting to hear back from the other location with the latest changes. (there were some P2 firmware related issues when I first sent them back). I recently received the partially-assembled production boards. They look good. I have one of them built and have started some hardware testing. I'm working through that now. Based on my measurements, the new filters easily meet and exceed the ACPR requirements for P25 subscriber units at offset frequencies > 200 kHz (88 dB @ 5 MHz, 90 dB @ 10 MHz). I plan on posting some specs and comparisons when I have them ready.

Mike_G_D

Todd,

Will the new hardware version completely replace the original or will you be offering both units for sale (in other words, still have the original P25RX for sale as well as the P25RXII)?

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd,

Will the new hardware version completely replace the original or will you be offering both units for sale (in other words, still have the original P25RX for sale as well as the P25RXII)?
I don't plan on discontinuing the P25RX. It has been well received by the vast majority of users and it is a good design. The primary driver for a new design has been the parts shortage. With the new design, I'm not going to hold back as much on user-programmable parameters and advanced options. I will expand on the differences when I post the specs/comparisons.

Mike_G_D

I don't plan on discontinuing the P25RX. It has been well received by the vast majority of users and it is a good design. The primary driver for a new design has been the parts shortage. With the new design, I'm not going to hold back as much on user-programmable parameters and advanced options. I will expand on the differences when I post the specs/comparisons.
Thank you, Todd, I await with bated breath!

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Todd: any chance of having an adjustable no-audio gap between recorded audio snippets? It would sound a lot more natural if I could introduce a delay between events that are minutes apart.

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd: any chance of having an adjustable no-audio gap between recorded audio snippets? It would sound a lot more natural if I could introduce a delay between events that are minutes apart.
This option was easier to add with all the recent changes to the audio code. Please give 09-23_0735 a try and let me know if you find issues. It only add the silence when the call ends. You can see when this happens in the console. The string "link-control end call received" indicates this. We might need an option to add programmable silence during the TDU periods of the calls as well.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
This option was easier to add with all the recent changes to the audio code. Please give 09-23_0735 a try and let me know if you find issues. It only add the silence when the call ends. You can see when this happens in the console. The string "link-control end call received" indicates this. We might need an option to add programmable silence during the TDU periods of the calls as well.

Just tested this by adding a 1000 ms (1 second) delay in the software. Looks like it works for WAV files, but does not add the delay in the MP3 file. I use .WAV files primarily anyway because it's a lossless file format, but wanted to let you know it does not work for .MP3.

btt

Banned
Banned
I believe the issue with adding the silence to end-of-call for mp3 files is fixed. I've also changed the way the audio buffer is filled. I've only tested this on Linux so far, but I haven't heard a single audio glitch yet. Hopefully, this method will also work on WIndows and Mac. The audio playback in BTConfig is sounding 100% glitch free from what I hear. version 2021-09-23_1328

kb8q

Premium Subscriber
Here is an example of the silence set to 500ms with wav file output being recorded on Linux.
Just listening to that .WAV file example. It sounds good with those spaces in between transmissions. The audio is really good and it's also easier to follow with the spaces. Great addition to the mix.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Todd, this is a fantastic addition. It will really enhance my enjoyment of the recordings. Thank you for being so responsive!

btt

Banned
Banned
All, you may have noticed that I moved the testing version to stable. I did test on WIndows 10, Mac, and Linux before doing this. The audio sounds better than ever here. Let me know if you have issues with the latest. It would be no problem to roll-back stable to a previous version and continue with 'testing' if there are issues.