rtl sdr after serial number change, device no longer works in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhca

Ive got this behaviour which would seem incorrect to me where if i change any of my various 'v3 blog' dongle's serial to anything other than their default 00000001 they stop working in windows. They still work in linux and if i revert them back with linux rtl_eeprom they work again in windows... In windows SDR# it will show the dovice in config but when pressing play "Cannot access RTL device", device manager shows it as installed with no errors. I can live with this as linux is the only time i need more than 1 plugged in, more just posting this as an account of my problem. tried serial numbers 00000101, 00000002, 102, no difference, also tried setting in windows with rtl_eeprom.exe but that then make the device say it has no eeprom and have to use linux to revert it back.

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
I used a different program to change my serial numbers. It was like RTL Tool or something. I can try to find it later tonight.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
rltool works - all my rtl devices have unique serials, and I used rtltool to change them from their default value. All work with sdr programs on multiple Windows 10 Pro machines.

morfis

I have re-serialed dozens of rtl devices (most nooelec models, rtl-sdr.com models, old DVB-T dongles) using rtl_eeprom.exe

Never had any issues, never needed to re-install drivers.

As a417 says above...don't mess with switches you don't fully understand.

Create a batch file with the command, switch and serial number in the rrtltools directory. Remember you'll need to change the number in the batch file manually (unless you do a posh batch file with variables like good old DOS days) before running for each device. Add a pause so you actually see the command output.

rtl_eeprom -s 21000012
pause

If you would rather use a GUI then download jdow's rtltool package

People have used letters and fewer numbers but I have always found numbers give sufficient flexability to uniquely identify the device, it's chipset and manufacturer

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I changed the serial from "00000001" to "12340002" on my NooElec with rtl_eeprom on Win10. Just to be safe, I also dumped the EEPROM to a file (with -r) before re-serializing, just so I could restore from it if necessary. I dumped it after re-serializing and compared hex dumps of the two files. The change was the serial number, stored in little-endian 16-byte Unicode chars starting at position 0x37, and 0x12 at position 0x08 changed to 0x02.

hhca

Hey I got it to work !! Did just have to reinstall Zdiag Winusb driver "options->tick show all devices & untick ignore hubs... funny that it works without different serial number off default driver but not after. Also had to zdiag install both my devices even though identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.