BCD325P2 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Marin county systems, both Motorola Phase II systems
Marin County MERA is not a Motorola Phase II system. It is a Motorola Type II system. Phase II systems are P25. The system type should be Mot Type II/P25. Site types should be Mot UHF Band. You need to enter the custom band plan shown in the database for each site.

Uniden Bandplan:

Lower Base: Upper Base: Offset: Step:
482.0000----484.3625----380---12.5
488.0000----490.1000----570---12.5
490.7250----490.9750----739---12.5

Last edited:
Marin County MERA is not a Motorola Phase II system. It is a Motorola Type II system. Phase II systems are P25. The system type should be Mot Type II/P25. Site types should be Mot UHF Band. You need to enter the custom band plan shown in the database for each site.

Uniden Bandplan:

Lower Base: Upper Base: Offset: Step:
482.0000 484.3625 380 12.5
488.0000 490.1000 570 12.5
490.7250 490.9750 739 12.5
My bad, I meant to say Type II. I'll get that BandPlan into the site now.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The scanner must detect a control channel to scan a trunked system. For now use just the East and West Marin County sites. When you hold on a talkgroup, you scan just the site presently in use. It does not scan sites while holding. You may be scanning a site out of range. If you attach your FreeSCAN Marin County MERA programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.

The scanner must detect a control channel to scan a trunked system. For now use just the East and West Marin County sites. When you hold on a talkgroup, you scan just the site presently in use. It does not scan sites while holding. You may be scanning a site out of range. If you attach your FreeSCAN Marin County MERA programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.
I’ll send it later when I’m at my desktop.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yes! The MERA system has five sites. You set up a single system with 5 sites. You can assign each site a different system quick key so that you can easily select which site or sites you are scanning. Refer to the PDF file I attached earlier for any questions about using quick keys.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yes! The system quick keys control only which sites you scan. The group quick keys control which talkgroups you monitor on a trunked system.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Again, I am not familiar with the FreeScan software, but with all of the frequencies for Marin entered as trunking site frequencies the scanner should lock onto the active control channel and then you should receive transmissions on the talkgroups you have entered. Although I am not familiar with the Marin System, I have been monitoring many similar systems over many years using the 396xt and the 325P2 which program the same way and use the same Butel software. (If you have a few more dollars to spend I would suggest purchasing the Butel ARCXT or ARCXT PRO solftware)

RR indicates Sites 3, 4, and 5 are IntelliRepeaters. This means they fill in dead zones and only repeat transmissions when a radio is affiliated with one of them. I would take those frequencies out of the program to avoid your scanner locking onto one of sites rather than the East or West Zone.

I would suggest programing 2 separate sites, one East Zone and one West Zone. If you happen to be in an area or travelling where both zones are received it is easy to lock out the weaker of the 2 zones. If you have control channels from both sites active the scanner may jump between the two zones. I usually assign a quick key to each site but you could use one quick key and the lockout feature instead.

Also, the fact that Marin has an "East Zone" simulcast and "West Zone" simulcast suggests the possibility that some talkgroups may only be carried on one of the two zones. Years ago Eagle County Colorado had a similar system with East and West Zones, and the West Zone carried only talkgroups used in the Western half of the county. However, if a unit leaves the east zone and affiliates with the west zone the west zone site will carry the talkgroup as long as that eastern unit is in that area.It may take some time to figure out whether the 2 zones are indeed split.

The more you use the scanner the more you will learn. Direct importing from Radio Reference makes programming trunked systems very easy. ARCXT software lets you select what sites and talk groups to download, select quickeys and other options and in a couple of minutes you are all set. Comes in really handy for travelling. Also reduces the chance of making an error entering one of the many frequencies common in large systems.

Oh, in terms the simulcast problems mentioned earlier, I have found that with Motorola P25 type 2 systems the 325p2 does ok in most cases. Where it often fails miserably is with Motorola P25 PHASE 2 simulcast systems.

Good luck!

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have found that with Motorola P25 type 2 systems the 325p2 does ok in most cases.
There is no such thing as a Motorola P25 Type 2 system. Motorola Type 2 systems and P25 systems are entirely different animals. I use Butel ARC-XT Basic for programming my BCD325P2. By using system quick keys on the sites, you can easily find out which talkgroups affiliate with each site.

Last edited:

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
here is no such thing as a Motorola P25 Type 2 system. Motorola Type 2 systems and P25 systems are entirely different animals.
To clarify, The Marin system is a Motorola Type II system (referring to the difference between the original Motorola Type I trunking that we saw in the 1980's.) Marin uses P25 APCO digital format, otherwise know as "P25" . I was just advising my 325p2 has done ok with these systems here back east.

Here you go!

Attachments

• meranew.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 4

garys

Premium Subscriber
LAPD is conventional UHF with P25 audio. If you set it up as a Motorola Type 2 system, you are not going to hear anything.

It looks like they have multiple Zones in the radios, probably due to who needs to talk to who. If you look at the RRDB for Los Angeles County, you'll find all of the dispatch channels.

If you are in Los Angeles, you are not going to hear anything from Marin County. I'm assuming you travel between the two, but if you are only in LA, than there is no reason to program Marin. As others have pointed out, Marin is Motorola Type 2 Trunking with digital audio, not Phase 2.

LAPD is it's own system, as well as Marin. I don't know what SQK is, sorry. I'll send a screenshot of what I have it laid out as. I don't know if it's supposed to have a site, or what's needed to make it work. It also won't allow me to set a system quick key, it says that it doesn't have a site attached. Really all I want to do, mainly for Marin, is access each individual group like it allows you to with conventional. It's on a Motorola Type II / P25 system type.
View attachment 109740

garys

Premium Subscriber
Motorola Type 2 systems can use the "Common Air Interface" which is P25 audio.

There is no such thing as a Motorola P25 Type 2 system. Motorola Type 2 systems and P25 systems are entirely different animals. I use Butel ARC-XT Basic for programming my BCD325P2. By using system quick keys on the sites, you can easily find out which talkgroups affiliate with each site.

LAPD is conventional UHF with P25 audio. If you set it up as a Motorola Type 2 system, you are not going to hear anything.

It looks like they have multiple Zones in the radios, probably due to who needs to talk to who. If you look at the RRDB for Los Angeles County, you'll find all of the dispatch channels.

If you are in Los Angeles, you are not going to hear anything from Marin County. I'm assuming you travel between the two, but if you are only in LA, than there is no reason to program Marin. As others have pointed out, Marin is Motorola Type 2 Trunking with digital audio, not Phase 2.
LAPD and LAFD/LAcoFD are figured out. I know that I won't be able to hear anything, I just don't have a windows computer up in marin so I need to program it here. Trying to get it all ready to go for when I'm up there.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It looks like the Marin County system is set up correctly. If you click on the Marin County system, ID Mode is set to ID Search. You will receive every talkgroup on the system. If you set ID Mode to ID Scan, you will receive only the talkgroups you programmed. Is the Marin County trunked system working now?

It looks like the Marin County system is set up correctly. If you click on the Marin County system, ID Mode is set to ID Search. You will receive every talkgroup on the system. If you set ID Mode to ID Scan, you will receive only the talkgroups you programmed. Is the Marin County trunked system working now?
I'm not in marin currently but the sites show up as well as the channels. I just have to wait until I'm in Marin to see if I get signal, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.