BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Screen color not working!!

mykle315

Premium Subscriber
All of a sudden my color on my display changed to a light dirty yellow color. When I go to settings to change the color it stays a yellow color no matter what color I choose except for blue. But the blue is so dark you can’t see what’s displaying. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the color stays yellow, that sounds like a loss of blue. Yellow is a combination of green and red. White is a combination of red, green, and blue. If you are not able to see red and green separately, that sounds like a control problem. You could try resetting the scanner. Be advised resetting the scanner will erase programming. Turn the scanner off. While pressing 2, 9, and HOLD simultaneously, turn the scanner on. If that doesn't work, you can try reloading the firmware. If scanner still does not function correctly, you can remove the case and try reseating the plug going to the display. Is the scanner still under warranty? You can also send a message to Joe Bearcat, the Uniden rep, asking him for suggestions.

Last edited:

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
You have a problem with the Blue led's. Might be something as simple as a cable has come loose or something more serious on the board.
This problem has been addressed before in the forums. Is this unit mounted in a car or used as a desktop scanner?

mykle315

Premium Subscriber
I use it as a desktop unit. I change the color thru the menu on the the scanner and through freescan. I thought it might be led’s but was hoping I accidentally hit something in the menu settings. Thank you all!!

mykle315

Premium Subscriber
If the color stays yellow, that sounds like a loss of blue. Yellow is a combination of green and red. White is a combination of red, green, and blue. If you are not able to see red and green separately, that sounds like a control problem. You could try resetting the scanner. Be advised resetting the scanner will erase programming. Turn the scanner off. While pressing 2, 9, and HOLD simultaneously, turn the scanner on. If that doesn't work, you can try reloading the firmware. If scanner still does not function correctly, you can remove the case and try reseating the plug going to the display. Is the scanner still under warranty? You can also send a message to Joe Bearcat, the Uniden rep, asking him for suggestions.
Unfortunately it’s not under warranty anymore. I will try resetting it and then checking the wires. Thank you.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I want to thank everybody for replying to my question. It was the ribbon cable going to my display. I took it off and put it back on. And it started to work again. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Reseating the ribbon cables can fix a variety of issues with scanners... display problems, lighting isuues, keypad failures are among the most common.

MStep

Reseating the ribbon cables can fix a variety of issues with scanners... display problems, lighting isuues, keypad failures are among the most common.

And likely more problematic on radios which are moved around quite a bit, like from base to mobile and back and forth. And perhaps those that are used quite a bit in the car, being subjected to all those bumps in the road and jolts from normal driving.

mykle315

Premium Subscriber
And likely more problematic on radios which are moved around quite a bit, like from base to mobile and back and forth. And perhaps those that are used quite a bit in the car, being subjected to all those bumps in the road and jolts from normal driving.
I really wanted to replace it. But all of the places I checked were either sold out of it or very over priced.

Ubbe

The ribbon cable where probably seated properly but there's some sort of oxidation going on and the contact surfaces needs to be "exercised". I have had the same problem with bad connection to the front panel with several scanners that where always stationary on a desk. Most of them had the ribbon glued that needed to be removed. I have one BCT15 that only works for a week or two after a reseat of the ribbon cable and then looses its display backlight again.

/Ubbe

mykle315

Premium Subscriber
The ribbon cable where probably seated properly but there's some sort of oxidation going on and the contact surfaces needs to be "exercised". I have had the same problem with bad connection to the front panel with several scanners that where always stationary on a desk. Most of them had the ribbon glued that needed to be removed. I have one BCT15 that only works for a week or two after a reseat of the ribbon cable and then looses its display backlight again.

/Ubbe
That is exactly what’s happening to mine now. Wanted to get a new one but it was sold out on scanner master. Going to try some contact cleaner.

Ubbe

Going to try some contact cleaner.
The material on the ribbon surface are coal and are probably not a good idea to spray. Just spray the connector on the circuit board and and stick some stiff paper or cardboard in the connector to try and clean the surface. Blow at the connector to dry it before inserting the ribbon.

/Ubbe

salado

Premium Subscriber
BCD9962 display cable replacement 2.jpgBCD9962 display cable replacement.jpg
My BCD9962 Display was Intermittently going out, tried to re-seat the old cable and it would work for a day or so then go out.
finally just replaced the FFC ribbon cable and it now works great. its a 30 pin FFC for anyone who might need one. The replacement is much longer than the original but no big deal and not exactly the same part numbers than the original had but it works.
got the cable cheap on amazon, so it beats sending it in for expensive repairs.

salado

Premium Subscriber
I only find 15pcs at $10. Are there a single ribbon cable to buy at $1?

/Ubbe
mine was a 5 pack for like $7
FFC=Flexible Flat Cable, 30pins; Dielectric Strength: 60V; Heat Resistance: 80℃. Length: 150mm;A type (Pin on the Same Side)

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have the same problem with my 996P2 green is green Magenta looks Red, Red is Red, Blue is dark, White is Peach, Yellow is Orange, Cyan looks Green. I took the ribbon cable out and reseated it but no good. I think the blue is out of mine I use to leave it on Cyan 24/7 what do you think?