SDS100/SDS200: Is it possible to transfer trx-1 files to an sds100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squawk

Just curious if a file transfer from one to another is possible. I’d like to run a comparison between my trx-1 and my new sds running the same identical files and scan lists without having to spend the time creating copies manually?

Ubbe

It's still a lot of manual work using EZ-Scan's import function and do the exports from ProScan. If you do not have ProScan you can use it for 30 days. Doing export from EZ-Scan and import to ProScan doesn't seem to be as easy.

When exporting a file then read it in Notepad or Excel or OpenOffice and edit away headers and extra info to only leave the basic data. EZ-Scan doesn't like the Hz text in CTCSS tone values and then ignore that value. The find&replace function often works well in editors. Each trunked system needs to be handled one by one when importing.

If you are only going to compare and don't need the scanners to be setup exactly as you want, I suggest you use the database for both scanners and use a new Favorite list and a new V-scanner folder as it is too much manual labour just to compare performance.

/Ubbe

Squawk

It's still a lot of manual work using EZ-Scan's import function and do the exports from ProScan. If you do not have ProScan you can use it for 30 days. Doing export from EZ-Scan and import to ProScan doesn't seem to be as easy.

When exporting a file then read it in Notepad or Excel or OpenOffice and edit away headers and extra info to only leave the basic data. EZ-Scan doesn't like the Hz text in CTCSS tone values and then ignore that value. The find&replace function often works well in editors. Each trunked system needs to be handled one by one when importing.

If you are only going to compare and don't need the scanners to be setup exactly as you want, I suggest you use the database for both scanners and use a new Favorite list and a new V-scanner folder as it is too much manual labour just to compare performance.

/Ubbe
Thank you for the info, I actually do need the scanner set up as I had my trx-1 set up I paid for a service to send me some pre programmed hpe files for my city but the amount of freq added to each list I was sent is over loaded for the small area I mostly need to scan.

I purchased a gps unit hoping using that would zone out all other freq’s when dialing in the distance I set but I dont see much of a difference than not using a gps I’m still receiving freq’s 15 miles away from me, I think the puck I was sent may be damaged.

I attempted running the software the gps unit came with to test the device but I got no where my pc does not recognize the device when plugging it in 🤷‍♂️

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not so sure this would work - the memory structure of the TRX1 is not the same as the SDS series. How would you account for the differences? There are no quick keys, departments, etc. in the Whistler world....Mike

Ubbe

I purchased a gps unit
You only have to check the GPS position in your mobile phone and enter those values if you scan from home.

You can never decrease the values for range to scan a more local area, you can only add to what are already set in the database. The theoretical range set in the database for each site could be way too far away and not what you want to scan. But then on the other hand I see a 122MHz frequency for arrival/departure in Kansas that are set to 0,5 mile. Then you have to resort to favorite list scanning, exporting from database when the range are set to max and then delete or avoid systems or sites that seem to be not local, requiring a bit of knowledge of your own.

To sell or supply a ready made list you will have to use something like ProScan and check the range of each site and department to see if it looks realistic and there are some errors in the database that needs a person to scrutinize that data for a site and TG's and compare to a geographical map. A lot of work that I do not expect those custom list producers to actually be doing. They asume that the database are 100% correct for all kinds of use, scan from home or mobile.

The best way to copy from one brand of scanner to another would probably be to just copy & paste between the programs for frequencies, text tags and TG's, that you can do in big chunks at a time, and then edit all other parameters.

/Ubbe

Squawk

exporting from database when the range are set to max and then delete or avoid systems or sites that seem to be not local, requiring a bit of knowledge of your own.

needs a person to scrutinize that data for a site and TG's and compare to a geographical map. A lot of work that I do not expect those custom list producers to actually be doing.

The best way to copy from one brand of scanner to another would probably be to just copy & paste between the programs for frequencies, text tags and TG's, that you can do in big chunks at a time, and then edit all other parameters.

/Ubbe

Thank you guys for your insight, I appreciate the knowledge 🙏 I’ve began to do the leg work myself I figured this is the only way to get my radio personalized to my needs.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys for your insight, I appreciate the knowledge 🙏 I’ve began to do the leg work myself I figured this is the only way to get my radio personalized to my needs.
For the TRX-1, the software restricts your use of an Export function. It will only allow the export of programming that you have manually created, Anything added to your configuration(s) via Library Import cannot be exported. From the Help File:
1632279174210.png
(Export is highlighted in the screenshot because I used it as a the keyword for a Search.)

If you created your TRX-1 file mostly by Library Imports, you could duplicate much of the same via an Append from the main database in Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.