Antenna Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickduff

Hey All
I have had the TRX 2 for about 3 years. It is used in the home setting with a outdoor antenna. There seems to be an issue with the antenna connection on the unit itself.
Sometimes if the scanner is moved at all, say for dusting the scanner looses the antenna connection. The cable stays connected but I have to fiddle around with the cable to find just the right place for the connection to work again. I have cut the cable back 1-2 feet, doesn't make a difference which makes me think its something with the connection on the scanner itself.
Anyone else notice this or have this problem?
Thank you

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify.. When you say 'fiddle with the cable', do you mean that you hold the cable near the connector and push it left right/up down for a bit until reception returns?

You say you cut the cable back a few feet, so I'm assuming you re-installed the BNC connector.. If so, that pretty well eliminates the BNC plug from being the cause.

I've never seen the insides of a TRX 2, but in many cases manufacturers will solder one or both of the antenna jack connections directly to the circuit board. It's possible that one of these connections could have been soldered improperly, or the joint sustained a stress crack over time. This can cause reception problems.

If that's the case, then the radio will have to be opened up and the internal antenna plug connections 'touched up' with a soldering iron.

rickduff

Yes, the cable is connected to the bnc then the scanner. While connected you seem to have to move the cable in 1/4" increments one way or another to find the "sweet spot" so the scanner will receive again.
Thanks for your reply

tvengr

Well Known Member
While the scanner is stationary and you move the BNC connector without touching the cable, does it cut in and out? Take a look at the center pin on the BNC connector on the cable and see if it has broken off.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Also check if the center pin is recessed from the rest of the connector. It may make contact only if you push in on the cable. Many of the connectors I have worked with have the center pin snap into place when you push the cable into the connector if the cable is stripped to the proper dimensions.

rickduff

I have a bnc to PL259 90 degree swivel adapter on the scanner. When i move the cable a little it swivels the adapter. Thats when i have to find the "sweet spot". Same thing happens with a regular adapter.
Thanks again

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is possible that the cable connection to the PL259 connector or the adapter is bad. I would put a BNC connector on the cable. The weight of the PL259 connector and right angle puts a lot of stress on the scanner connector. What cable do you have going to the scanner? A short RG58 jumper puts less stress on the connector than RG8, LMR400, or similar heavy cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.