• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Handheld CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmover

Guys, I have a good antenna on it. The Randy is a poor receiver, the Icom R30 proves it. I have thousands of road miles on the Randy - almost nothing. When I switch to the R30 I receive lots of CB traffic. I live less than a half mile from I-94, the lack of signals to receive is not the problem.

You’re the only one? Where are confirming reports of your experience?

I’ve put a Randy into my big truck antenna system and gotten what I might expect from a UNIDEN 880.

The antenna or antenna system is the limiting factor as it is with every radio. The hardware of the unit seems fine.

This handheld is a very nice piece of gear. I’ve bought one and will likely buy more.

Last edited:

slowmover

You’re the only one? Other reports don’t match yours.

I’ve put a Randy into my big truck antenna system and gotten what I might expect from a UNIDEN 880.

The antenna or antenna system is the limiting factor as it is with every radio.

This handheld is a very nice piece of gear.

Hit_Factor

You’re the only one? Where are confirming reports of your experience?

The antenna or antenna system is the limiting factor as it is with every radio. The hardware of the unit seems fine.

This handheld is a very nice piece of gear. I’ve bought one and will likely buy more.

For $100 you can have mine. Price includes shipping to lower 48. PayPal only.

slowmover

Think I will add the Randy FCC to my collection.

I think it goes well with the Johnny III as to features. Someone not radio-savvy can operate either equally well.

While I’m in favor of SSB-only CB radios, the compact size & short-range virtues of both these radios make the pairing a natural thing.

Kitchen or office radio + handhelds used in the vicinity on horseback, ATV, or on foot; like a walkie talkie. Move up in range from there with suitable power & antenna systems.

Hang a dipole at the entrance gate to a property. Plug-in when present. Etc.

tibadoex

The Randy arrived and surprised the trip. Topped off the battery and did a quick run through. Impressed with the quality and simplicity of operation. Even with the small rubber duck antenna, reception was better than expected. Will play around with it more this weekend.

KD8DVR

This is the latest and greatest....
I have one, sent it back to manufacturer because it rarely receives any traffic. Manufacturer says its in spec.

It's got a really poor receiver, probably gets overloaded with the antenna I have it on. My Icom r30 receiver works great on the same antenna.
Hmm, my Randy seems to work fine on receive, even with an aftermarket antenna. But then mine is a "Randy FCC" Not a Randy 3, as used in Europe.

spikestabber

I have two randy's now and love the things, you just can't really use them while charging as they pick up everything from the mains or whatever it is you plug the charge port into, at least both of mine go deaf to distant signals when charging, probably more to do with the switching wall wart, I will try a linear at some point. Otherwise on battery mode they're everything about what is attached to the antenna, a perfect modern CB handheld for grab & go use, perfect for quick comms with my mobile NMO install even with the stock duckies.

The only way they could make a better handheld is SSB but thats more enthusiast when it comes to CB's as there are little users as it is, best keep it simple as possible to entice anyone new that could be interested in the hobby or returning to it.

arudlang

I'm pretty late to the party (new member) but just saw this thread up top since spikestabber added his comment and revived it;

To the OP (back in September), I also do not know specifically what radio was in that movie but for what its worth I just got my second ebay TRC-217 in the mail today and I just love this vintage radios, and they work great. It is a big, beefy handheld and nice and heavy once you stuff it full of AA batteries, about a 51 inch antenna on these suckers, but they are effective.

I made a (very staticky) 4.5 mile contact standing on the roof of my parents house the other day to my brother's truck out on a highway. I had to plug it into a 12v power pack because temps were below freezing and the AA batteries were falling off, but it still worked.

I got my first 217 many years ago when I was a kid, given to me by my Grandpa shortly before he passed away. I did not understand what it was or how to properly use it at the time, now its buried somewhere in storage (I know I didn't throw it away, but can't find it as of late). While waiting for my original one from my childhood to show up out of my many boxes of stuff, I bought one off ebay for about $10 and like it so much I just got a second one in the mail today (paid $15 for this one, but its a little cleaner and better shape).

It's becoming an "if you give a mouse a cookie" type of problem around the house here... I have a couple other GE ones in the mail from ebay as well coming in the next week or so... $5-$9 each, stuff to tinker with. But hey, around here if I'm to get any of my friends and family involved I've got to have some budget loaners to borrow out so I have more people to talk to :LOL:

For any star wars fans out there familiar with "Episode I - The Phantom Menace" I snapped a quick picture and whipped up this meme to send to my brother, but I might as well share it here too since I took the time to make it: (see attachment)

Attachments

• Bought a second radio getting out of hand meme.png
    Bought a second radio getting out of hand meme.png
    776.9 KB · Views: 14

bharvey2

I took road trip up the west coast (California to Washington) a few weeks ago and for kicks I brought along an old 40ch handheld CB that I had. Despite the number of miles traveled, I only heard activity once and that was while stopped at a TA truck stop. Other than that, it was quiet. A Randy would have been the perfect new model to work with but I just never seem to find any CB activity in my travels.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I took road trip up the west coast (California to Washington) a few weeks ago and for kicks I brought along an old 40ch handheld CB that I had. Despite the number of miles traveled, I only heard activity once and that was while stopped at a TA truck stop. Other than that, it was quiet. A Randy would have been the perfect new model to work with but I just never seem to find any CB activity in my travels.

I spend a lot of time driving through Northern California and the Pacific Northwest, and discovered the same thing. Not much CB traffic, even on Interstate 5. I finally stopped installing CB's in my personal truck, just wasn't worth it for my own personal application.

I occasionally get the itch to put one in, but don't currently have a CB, and no desire to buy one until the FM models hit the market.

bharvey2

I occasionally get the itch to put one in, but don't currently have a CB, and no desire to buy one until the FM models hit the market.

I'm kind of sitting on that same fence. This was probably the first time in 30 years that I had a CB in a vehicle although I do break one out every once in a while and set it up in my garage. The inclusion of FM in new radios might be tempting. I suspect though that once they come out, they'll draw a little interest and then fade away into obscurity. Probably a questionable ROI in the long run would be my guess.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty late to the party (new member) but just saw this thread up top since spikestabber added his comment and revived it;

To the OP (back in September), I also do not know specifically what radio was in that movie but for what its worth I just got my second ebay TRC-217 in the mail today and I just love this vintage radios, and they work great. It is a big, beefy handheld and nice and heavy once you stuff it full of AA batteries, about a 51 inch antenna on these suckers, but they are effective.

I made a (very staticky) 4.5 mile contact standing on the roof of my parents house the other day to my brother's truck out on a highway. I had to plug it into a 12v power pack because temps were below freezing and the AA batteries were falling off, but it still worked.

I got my first 217 many years ago when I was a kid, given to me by my Grandpa shortly before he passed away. I did not understand what it was or how to properly use it at the time, now its buried somewhere in storage (I know I didn't throw it away, but can't find it as of late). While waiting for my original one from my childhood to show up out of my many boxes of stuff, I bought one off ebay for about $10 and like it so much I just got a second one in the mail today (paid $15 for this one, but its a little cleaner and better shape).

It's becoming an "if you give a mouse a cookie" type of problem around the house here... I have a couple other GE ones in the mail from ebay as well coming in the next week or so... $5-$9 each, stuff to tinker with. But hey, around here if I'm to get any of my friends and family involved I've got to have some budget loaners to borrow out so I have more people to talk to :LOL:

For any star wars fans out there familiar with "Episode I - The Phantom Menace" I snapped a quick picture and whipped up this meme to send to my brother, but I might as well share it here too since I took the time to make it: (see
Good reply and I can relate to what you're saying. As a newbie, just joining on Monday, you are one of the few that actually reacts and acknowledges replies. Good for you. You have gotten the attention of some of the most notable members. I look forward to your future posts. Welcome to radio reference... Bob.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Not worth installing a cb in a vehicle these days. Best to put a hand held in the vehicle for backup coms. Sucks the president Randy didn't come with SSB. IDIOTS should have known to include SSB. Will see what there next radio becomes with the FCC approving FM. Won't spend a dime unless it has both.

spikestabber

The problem with handhelds in the vehicle is the vehicle itself messes with the counterpoise which is supposed to be you holding it in an open space, I can barely get hits from Randy in the vehicle unless I yank the NMO larsen's PL259 off the fixed installation and connect it to the Randy via the adapter.

For a road trip you really need a magnet mount to be certain you aren't getting anything, I don't even bother turning CB handhelds on in the vehicle other than when testing them.

Not my first dabble with CB though, first time was late 80's and early 90's as a teenager, had an Antron 99 & TRC-492 (what a terrible radio that was, had a midland 77-106 which was way better but ended up burning it up with an overcharged 12V battery, couldn't afford SSB like the kool kids)

slowmover

I have two randy's now and love the things, you just can't really use them while charging as they pick up everything from the mains or whatever it is you plug the charge port into, at least both of mine go deaf to distant signals when charging, probably more to do with the switching wall wart, I will try a linear at some point. Otherwise on battery mode they're everything about what is attached to the antenna, a perfect modern CB handheld for grab & go use, perfect for quick comms with my mobile NMO install even with the stock duckies.

The only way they could make a better handheld is SSB but thats more enthusiast when it comes to CB's as there are little users as it is, best keep it simple as possible to entice anyone new that could be interested in the hobby or returning to it.

Leaving the Randy plugged in to 12V in my Kenworth it picked up some noise. But not enough to countet

Wrap the power cord with an M31 or M61 ferrite of a good size (or several small ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.