• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wyoming “307 Channel” for Emergency

KK6HRW

The State of Wyoming Office of Homeland Security is promoting use of FRS/GMRS Channel 3, PL Tone 07 (462.6125, “Privacy Code” 85.4) for those in distress, hence what they are calling the “307 Channel”. This ‘channel’ will only be monitored by Search and Rescue when an active search is underway.
Why they chose a frequency limited to five (5) watts, instead of one allowing up to 50 watts, perplexes me. Here is a link to their announcement: Homeland Security - 307

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Probably also due to licensing. If they chose a true GMRS channel (50 watts) then every SAR responder would need a GMRS license. a FRS channel actually makes sense as so many carry them. I just not sure many know how to change tones or channels to be honest. Good idea I guess.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Probably also due to licensing. If they chose a true GMRS channel (50 watts) then every SAR responder would need a GMRS license. a FRS channel actually makes sense as so many carry them. I just not sure many know how to change tones or channels to be honest. Good idea I guess.

That is incorrect. FRS and GMRS share all frequencies except the GMRS repeater inputs. Nothing prevents a 50W GMRS base or mobile station from communicating with a 0.5-2W FRS portable on, say 462.550.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
That is incorrect. FRS and GMRS share all frequencies except the GMRS repeater inputs. Nothing prevents a 50W GMRS base or mobile station from communicating with a 0.5-2W FRS portable on, say 462.550.

I didn't say it did if you have a license. 50 watts requires a GMRS license. FRS 3 anyone can use with no license.

KK6HRW

Requiring a pl tone isn't a good idea. Many older radios don't transmitt one.
Point taken. I will say that a radio that old probably cannot transmit more than 1/2 watt anyway, but still could still be used to receive calls from Search and Rescue Personnel.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Seems odd that they would choose to use a privacy tone for the emergency channel.... I would think it would be easier for the average user to tune to Channel 3 without having to ensure they were on the correct tone, KISS principle. I was quite surprised to find out there is no "standard" for the FRS tones. I was part of a group activity a few years ago and we all were to turn our radios to a predetermined channel and use a privacy tone, we had several different brands of radios in the mix (Motorola, Uniden, Cobra, and so on) with the tone enabled we couldn't hear each other when we switched to using no tone we could communicate. I looked further into this after I got home and found out that each manufacturer can choose what tones they assign to each tone number in the radio. I had found a cheat sheet that someone had created with multiple FRS radio manufacturers listed as to what tone frequency they use for each tone.

KK6HRW

Seems odd that they would choose to use a privacy tone for the emergency channel.... I would think it would be easier for the average user to tune to Channel 3 without having to ensure they were on the correct tone, KISS principle. I was quite surprised to find out there is no "standard" for the FRS tones. I was part of a group activity a few years ago and we all were to turn our radios to a predetermined channel and use a privacy tone, we had several different brands of radios in the mix (Motorola, Uniden, Cobra, and so on) with the tone enabled we couldn't hear each other when we switched to using no tone we could communicate. I looked further into this after I got home and found out that each manufacturer can choose what tones they assign to each tone number in the radio. I had found a cheat sheet that someone had created with multiple FRS radio manufacturers listed as to what tone frequency they use for each tone.
I think the reason that Wyoming chose to use CTCSS is that the “307 Channel” will only be used by Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel AFTER they have been activated for an emergency. Use of a ‘tone’ would then help SAR to more reliably be able to talk to and hear from ONLY the party in distress. Of note: The “307 Channel“ will NOT be routinely monitored.

Last edited:

KK6HRW

As already stated, the MEOC teams can scan the channels and tone if it is known someone might try to contact them using FRS.
In the case of the Wyoming “307 Channel”, there would be only the one channel (3) and tone (07) to be monitored and used by Search and Rescue (once they are activated). Scanning would neither be required nor desired.

Could you please define “MEOC”?

Last edited:

rescuecomm

Mobile Emergency Operations Center. I worked a lot of SAR operations in the 1980's in one. The advent of the cell phone reduced hunting for lost hikers by over 90 percent. Most "lost persons" are now handled by park rangers and game wardens.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I think the reason that Wyoming chose to use CTCSS is that the “307 Channel” will only be used by Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel AFTER they have been activated for an emergency. Use of a ‘tone’ would then help SAR to more reliably be able to talk to and hear from ONLY the party in distress. Of note: The “307 Channel“ will NOT be routinely monitored.

I hope they are all using the same type radio, as from my experience if you have members in your group with a variety of FRS radios then your privacy tones can be different. Here is a site that explains things a little better than I probably have FRS/GMRS Privacy Codes Demystified (k0tfu.org)