Yaesu: FT-65R Changing bands vs. changing banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
More questions but not software related, the RT Systems software and cable are working as they should be. I have programmed both local VHF & UHF frequencies, when trying to switch bands the manual says to press the #Band key (lower right on the radio), but when I do this it brings up the Banks not the Bands. Not really sure how to change bands yet either, trying to solve one dilemma at a time. I assume I am doing something wrong with trying to switch bands but I don't know what, and the manual is of little use.

K6GBW

The way Yaesu did this is kind of confusing. When you are in memory mode and you push and hold the band button it will go into what other radio makers would call banks or zones. These are groups of programmed channels. This is likely what you are doing.

To do what you want to do just switch the radio to VFO mode first and then push the band button momentarily. It will switch between the various bands.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
The way Yaesu did this is kind of confusing. When you are in memory mode and you push and hold the band button it will go into what other radio makers would call banks or zones. These are groups of programmed channels. This is likely what you are doing.

To do what you want to do just switch the radio to VFO mode first and then push the band button momentarily. It will switch between the various bands.

Confusing is an understatement..... I like the radio and it seems like it will be a great to use, just a matter of learning how to properly operate it. Sad to say but the $20 Baofeng that I have is easier to navigate, Definity a learning adventure and the manual is rather useless.

K6GBW

I have two of the Ft-65R's. They are good little radios but yes, they can be slightly confusing. The FT-65R and X4 models are based very much on the Baofeng designs, but with better quality control. I personally hate how these newer radios virtually require software to operate them. Yes, you can program them by hand if you have sufficient time and aspirin, but not something I'd want to do. I miss the radios from the early 90's that let you easily do everything from the front panel. My first ham HT was an Alinco DJ-580T and I could program that thing in seconds!

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I have two of the Ft-65R's. They are good little radios but yes, they can be slightly confusing. The FT-65R and X4 models are based very much on the Baofeng designs, but with better quality control. I personally hate how these newer radios virtually require software to operate them. Yes, you can program them by hand if you have sufficient time and aspirin, but not something I'd want to do. I miss the radios from the early 90's that let you easily do everything from the front panel. My first ham HT was an Alinco DJ-580T and I could program that thing in seconds!

I have programmed many of handheld and base scanners via the keypad in years past, now I wouldn't even think of it as I need glasses to read and the fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be.

W5GX

The bank operation is described in the advanced manual, available on their website. Note the verbiage; there is a difference between "press" (meaning momentary), and "press and hold" (long press). The FT-60 is done in the same way; you will find this is common among all button driven radios where control panel space is at a premium - HTs, mobiles, etc.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.