Two way radio jobs in Central Ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8GUA

I'm trying to see if there's a way to get into the two way radio business in Central Ohio. I would like to do something with the installation, programming, or maintenance of two way radio systems, but I have no clue where to begin. I know MARCS is headquartered in Columbus, but the last job opening I saw required advanced college degrees, which I have none of. I've applied multiple times to the large Motorola dealer in Columbus, but they have never even given me the time of day in response.

If anyone has any ideas of where to begin, I'd be all ears to learn more. I'm currently working in IT at a help desk call center, and it's not exactly my idea of a career path. It's better than my previous job except in terms of pay.

Thanks for the help.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I believe most of what MARCS does in terms of the underlying infrastructure is contracted out to a company that starts with the letter A that I can't think of. The role of that job is likely going to be a mix of IT networking, microwave links, etc. You may want to figure out who helps all of the different agencies throughout the state and see if you can find a way in a door. I know up in NE Ohio B&C communications does a lot of their programming, but Cuyahoga Valley Dispatch started hiring radio techs a few months ago to bring that in-house.

That may be an option. Find one of the dispatch co-op's that want to bring radio programming in-house and see if you can get your foot in the door there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know about Ohio specifically, no experience there...

Not sure what your age is, and what your education background it, but what I can tell you from doing this stuff for 30 years:

-You need some solid data networking skills. So much of these systems are digital with IP backhaul. Companies will want your resume to show some knowledge/experience on that. Being able to set up a network link is important. You may already have those skills in your current job, just make sure you are presenting them correctly on the resume. 20 years ago you would get by without it and OJT would cover the rest. Not anymore.

-A lot of companies use the possession of a GROL ticket as a 'proof of knowledge'. Many will not even consider your resume if you don't have a GROL in hand. While GROL's are not usually required for doing this sort of work, it does show you have some basic knowledge. There are companies that will do a 2-3 day GROL course with testing for a few grand. You'll walk out with your GROL and a lighter wallet, but it'll get you noticed.

-Ham radio license won't do much for you in the industry. Might get you noticed by another ham, but the industry doesn't recognize a ham ticket as any proof of knowledge. Don't rely on that as your qualification. Hams will sometimes argue this, but (and no offense intended), passing a 35 question multiple choice test isn't proof of knowledge, and most radio shops won't care if you can work Albania on 20 meters, or know how to access the local 2 meter repeater.

-Some community college courses in basic IT might be a good start if you don't have those already. Basic electronics would be good.

-And then there's "all the other stuff". I can tell you that if 30 years ago someone had told me how much non-radio stuff I'd be doing, I probably wouldn't have believed them. I get pulled into all kinds of things where weird knowledge is required;
-HVAC - Cooling is important. You don't need to know how to fix the things, but I spend a lot of time dealing with HVAC issues.​
-DC power systems. The radio system is only as good as it's power. Knowledge on DC plants is important.​
-AC power systems. It's more than UPS's. Generators, AC power issues, etc.​
-Knowledge on grounding/lightning protection.​
-Basic automotive skills. If you are going to be doing mobile installs, being part mechanic is part of the job. You will be pulling stuff apart. In fact, a few of the guys at our county shop came direct from auto dealer shops.​
-General repairs. I fix a lot of stuff at radio sites. I fix a lot of other people's work. I've cleared a lot of brush from around sites. I've dug my own trenches for conduit. I've driven my own ground rods. Anchoring equipment racks. I've fixed locks. I've fixed fences. High School shop class probably taught me a lot of that stuff.​
-Being able to pass a background check. If you are trying to get into public safety related work, expect to be put through some level of back ground check. The level required will depend on what you have access to. Might be a simple wants/warrants check, might be fingerprinting, or might be a full background check, financial check, etc.​
If I was starting in the industry right now, I'd take local college courses in networking, get my GROL and maybe some other certifications, like tower climber, etc. There can be some competition for these jobs, and the other guys may have all those things.

Also, as a newcomer to the industry, you'll get stuck with the dirty/tedious/boring work. Enjoy it, it builds you up. You may spend a lot of time wiring vehicles. Climbing up and getting to the point where you are trusted to program radios takes time. There's a lot of trust that needs to be built up there when officers lives are on the line.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Other thing I'd add:
I've hired a lot of people over the years. I'd post a job and get hit with a ton of applications. About 95% of them off the top were garbage and we'd not even talk to them. That top 5% were the ones I'd look at and want to talk to. You need to find a way to get your resume up to that higher level. Finding ways to adapt what you've done in previous jobs to this industry will help. Sounds like you have some skills in that area. Don't be afraid to ask someone for help writing a resume. In fact, there's many of us here that would be happy to assist you.

A lot of this stuff can be taught in the field if the aptitude is there. Figuring out if you have the aptitude is hard to determine from a resume. Temporary jobs open a lot of doors. Don't turn away entry level jobs sweeping the floors of the shop. That's how you get your foot in the door.

Communications skills are very important. If you are working at an IT help desk, you probably have some good skills there that will benefit you. "Managing customer expectations" is a huge one. Being able to deal with the cranky/angry customer is high on the list, too. Some of the best people I have on my team are those that can communicate highly complex technical issues to an average Joe user without making them feel stupid or overwhelmed. I can find a ton of people that can rattle off techno-jargon-babble all day long, but if I cannot trust them to talk to the end users, they don't get hired.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A good place to start getting some knowledge in the industry is via the trade magazines. You can subscribe to Mission Critical Communications for free right here:

That'll get you some up to date industry info, and probably on a few mailing lists.

N8WCP

Premium Subscriber
With the exception of your amateur license, what other radio related skills do you have to offer a prospective employer? In previous positions I've hired techs and looked for people who attended an accredited tech or military school with focus on wireless communications. When I started in this business 41 years ago (yeah I'm old) the focus was on RF knowledge and ability to troubleshoot to the component level. Today it's about Windows, Linux, switches, routers, networking, RF, and the ability to navigate the software used. Repairs are handled by the manufacture's depot and alignments use automated service monitors. I would look into available technical training in your area. Also check with the larger cities in your area, many have radio shops. MARCS does very little technical work, most is contracted out to the local Motorola shops.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for a government job in Ohio with two way radios, check: careers.ohio.gov

The State Highway Patrol still maintains their own communications techs, mainly for mobile radio installation and service and dispatch console maintenance at the individual posts. MARCS is the backbone of the radio system now. I'm guessing larger agencies like ODNR and ODOT have their own people, too. As someone else mentioned, good IT knowledge is as important as radio knowledge. Be prepared to go through a thorough background investigation and drug test. These are good state jobs with above average wages and benefits, and you may be working in secure facilities or possibly overhear confidential information.

Smaller agencies usually contract with a local radio vendor. Check around for Motorola service facilities and contact them about submitting a job application. Be prepared to start with doing mobile radio installations and being a gopher on outside jobs. It's all good because the hands-on training and working with more experienced techs is worth its weight in gold. Good luck.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've applied multiple times to the large Motorola dealer in Columbus, but they have never even given me the time of day in response.

There are other radio brands/shops. Don't get hung up on brand names this early.

Kenwood/EF Johnson, Icom, Harris, Bendix King, etc. Some shops don't do Motorola, but will sell other brands. They still need techs.

k8md

I got started with zero experience a few years ago. It was a bit of dumb luck. I had been involved with ARES and ended up helping the local EMA with an IT issue (VOIP). This instigated a relationship with the EMA director. I developed that relationship into a good relationship. The county had a contract with a two way shop, and the EMA director was the point of contact for the two way shop. The two way shop had a person quit, and the EMA director knew I was looking for a job at that time. He made that connection for me with the two way shop. Nothing opens doors like a referral from a customer!

The two way shop was reluctant to hire a ham. While I was involved with ARES, I'm not a full on whacker, so that helped. No blinky lights or stickers on my car, I don't walk around with three HT's on my belt. As hams go, I have a high degree of technical knowledge. I didn't memorize the test, I learned the material. I could tune a duplexer, align a radio, and set up an IP network before being hired. They (reluctantly) hired me, and it ended up working out great for both parties.

There are two way techs that are hams. Find some of them and try to make friends. In addition to what you know, who you know can help a great deal. Distance yourself from any whackers.

If I were hiring a tech today, it's most important that you can learn quickly. Demonstrate an eagerness to learn and an aptitude for learning quickly. That's more important then knowledge brought to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.