ATCS coverage map

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a link to where I can find an online map of where Advanced Train Control System is deployed in the U.S.? I am trying to find out if it is being used in my area before I buy the RTL-SDR. I have searched and scanned the 800 MHz and 900 MHz frequencies used by ATCS as well as the VHF-hi AAR frequencies and I have not found any transmissions other than plain ol' analog voice on the AAR channels and nothing at all on the 800 and 900 frequencies. I even drove down a road that runs along the local yard and got nothing on the ATCS frequencies. The only digital transmissions I hear are FRED and Mary in the 450s.
So, with all that said, is there a map anyone can point me to so that I can find out if it is even being used in my area
or
Are there other frequencies I should be checking.

I did listen to some sound clips of what ATCS data bursts sound like in analog mode so I can recognize them if I hear them while searching or scanning.
Ever hear of Google? (sarcasm) If you Google ATCS map, the second entry (the first is your post, the second is this site:

Tim-B

Ever hear of Google? (sarcasm) If you Google ATCS map, the second entry (the first is your post, the second is this site:

The map you linked to is for Adaptive Traffic Control System and while it has the same acronym it has nothing to do with trains. It is a system that controls traffic lights on roads and it times the lights according to traffic volume on the intersecting roads. Yes I did google Advanced Train Control System map.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The map you linked to is for Adaptive Traffic Control System and while it has the same acronym it has nothing to do with trains. It is a system that controls traffic lights on roads and it times the lights according to traffic volume on the intersecting roads. Yes I did google Advanced Train Control System map.

Sorry I missed that - read too quickly going out the door to a 6 a.m. ham breakfast and I missed the word "train" on the first line of your post.

jmrossi82

Feed Provider
No. ATCS is data. It's not likely that you will find it on the AAR voice channels (160-161 MHz).

As stated in Mike Sullivan's post, ATCS is moving to new 800-900 MHz frequencies. It's also possible that the CTC functions that were monitorable over ATCS are moving onto the PTC network which is not monitorable at this time. Or, the CTC functions have already moved to the company's IP network (satellite, fiber optic, etc.).

All indications are that ATCS is going to become a dead-end.

There are some areas on VHF (160-161 MHz). Example, UP in Arizona - Gila Sub. :)

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.