Schenectady county n.y. 800 system

k2hz

Database Admin
They use the Tone Squelch tone 123.0 to avoid interference from adjacent co-channel stations if your radio supports it. If you scanner supports priority, I scan with the Zone channel set to priority and the 2 nearby Maintenance channels with 1 second "look back" for priority channel activity.
I will contact you with a private "conversation" with further details since it is OT for this thread.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
In the very beginning I was receiving the Sheriff’s Office before everything went encrypted on the law enforcement side. I’ll re-check all my settings on the G5 tomorrow. So far today, still not a peep!

thesavo

Feed Provider
I picked up a Pro-96 in hopes that the Phase II talk groups are in Albany as it cannot hear them. Are the discovered Schenectady Talk groups all operating in Phase 2? I don't see any TDMA talk groups on the RR page yet.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I picked up a Pro-96 in hopes that the Phase II talk groups are in Albany as it cannot hear them. Are the discovered Schenectady Talk groups all operating in Phase 2? I don't see any TDMA talk groups on the RR page yet.
Albany is FDMA, Schenectady is TDMA.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Bummer, it looks like I am in the market for a P2 scanner. At least I will be able to check out the Phase one parts.
Before spending your hard earned cash on a $600+ scanner, make sure you read through the posts in this thread, as there has been quite a lot of talk about encryption. One poster noted that Law will be secure while Fire/EMS will be in the clear, but perhaps it's worth waiting to see how things actually shake out. There is cheap/free software out there that will decode P25 TDMA using a $25 RTL dongle, so maybe start there first.

thesavo

Feed Provider
You an decode p25 phase II with an SDR dongle? I know this isn't the thread for that discussion, but will have to check that out.
Thanks.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
DSD+ Fast Lane, SDRTrunk, OP25 (Linux) are all Phase II capable. Plenty of resources in the Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software forum.

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
Before spending your hard earned cash on a $600+ scanner, make sure you read through the posts in this thread, as there has been quite a lot of talk about encryption. One poster noted that Law will be secure while Fire/EMS will be in the clear, but perhaps it's worth waiting to see how things actually shake out. There is cheap/free software out there that will decode P25 TDMA using a $25 RTL dongle, so maybe start there first.

I Agree get an SDR I have 2 running on separate machines but I have no issues receiving the voice traffic. Prices range from $25-150+ depending on what you are looking to do

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Okay so I would like the input of other as well as RR staff - I am fully setup to run the new system over the Calls platform. Right now, there is minimal actual traffic going over the schenectady towers that are in the clear, but I know Schenectady Fire is transitioning shortly and then the rest of fire/ems will be slowly onboarding.

I can put in the application now for the calls platform and get it up and running now, however it would be with the note that TGs will be changing as more are discovered and with the note that there is very minimal traffic in the clear currently. Should I go forward with this now, or should I wait a bit longer? I run the current County Fire feed, so I already plan to make the transition to the new system and have everything ready to roll, just need to flip the switch. Thoughts?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's no harm in getting the Calls node approved and setup now. Whatever traffic, as little as there might be, will be available, and the rest will follow in due time. Currently there is nowhere to add any notes to a Calls node like there is with a traditional feed, but "it is what it is", not a problem.

Do you plan on also switching your traditional feed over to the trunked system at some point? Depending on which software you plan on using, you might be able to do both. SDRTrunk, for example, will allow you to send talkgroups to Calls and simultaneously host one or more traditional feeds. You can do all of this on a per-talkgroup basis, so it's extremely flexible.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
I am running SDR Trunk. I will put the application in now then. I do plan to transition the audio feed over, but I do know that the rollout is going to take some time on the Fire/EMS side, so there will be some time where there will be active traffic on the analog channels as well as the digital channels.

My thoughts on the audio feed are to run a brand new feed for the P25 audio feed and keep the analog up until it is decommissioned (or traffic ceases entirely) and then turn that feed off. Once I have my radio in hand I will know more, but I do know that fire and EMS will be remaining in the clear, as these radios were not purchased with the flashcode feature of AES.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine that 460.575 (paging/dispatch) will remain analog for the pagers. Maybe just one way broadcast of the tone out and voice page (like Colonie’s VHF), or maybe a patch between a TG and the analog UHF (even if just one direction). But it probably won’t go away entirely unless they are dumping UHF paging in the county.