Antenna Suggestions / Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWB14701

I just received a President Lincoln 2+ which I think will be a pretty good unit, I intend to use it for listening only at present since I am still studying for my Tech license. But in the mean time I could really use some help figuring out what is the best 10-12 meter base antenna to utilize with the radio. There seems to be loads of info on mobile but it gets confusing (at least to me) as to recommendations for base antennas. Any and all suggestions and information would be welcome, Thanks!
Barry

Golay

Myself, I use an Antron 99 vertical for 10 meters. They say it will play well from 10-12. But I have no experience other than 10 with it.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Probably the easiest (and most affordable) antenna to get on the air with is a simple dipole.. Here's an article on how to construct one: --> 10 Meter Technician Class Dipole - Build a Technician Class Dipole for 10 Meters!

As a tech you will only be able to transmit on the 10 meter band, so you don't have to worry about 12 meters right now. However, with a 10 meter dipole, you will be able to listen to 12 meters with no problems.

But.. Note that the President Lincoln is meant to be a CB radio that covers the neighboring ham bands, (or anywhere else in between). They call it a ham radio since it's legal to be used by amateurs on the ham bands, but it's not legal for use on the CB bands.

I don't believe this radio can tune in 1 KHz steps. One problem you'll find is that most amateur radios have continuous tuning. That can cause problems working another station that has finer tuning than the President.

BWB14701

Myself, I use an Antron 99 vertical for 10 meters. They say it will play well from 10-12. But I have no experience other than 10 with it.
Thanks! I've been looking at the 99 seems to have good all-around reviews and was one of the recommendations from Wallcot Electronics.

BWB14701

(jwt873) yeah 10-4 on the tech, as for the Lincoln I was just looking for a starter unit and the Lincoln had some great reviews for the 10 and 12 meter bands, I already am set up on 11 meter ( I know Kiddie band) but its about dead in my area. I'm running a President McKinley with a tuner as the 11 meter unit with a Workman antenna on a mast. Been looking at the Antron 99 for 10 and 12 meter and will probably add that to the mast. my research indicates its a fairly good beginner antenna for those bands, I have a Diamond X-50A hanging around for 2 meter /70cm for down the road. But, I am extremely new to this so my choices are not always the greatest, but hey that's how I learn. Thanks for your reply its good advice.
Barry

Golay

Thanks! I've been looking at the 99 seems to have good all-around reviews and was one of the recommendations from Wallcot Electronics.
Glad to help. Like I said, I've only used it on 10. It's hooked up to a Shack 10 meter rig for local rag chewing. They tell me (and others may chime in) if you want to use it on 12, put both tuning rings together as low as they can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.