• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR6550 Frequency Range Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2nov

I have an XPR6550 that is for the 403-470 Mhz range. Is there a way to hex edit a file or something to expand the range to 512 Mhz or so like the older models of radios? Thanks.

K2NEC

If it's a 403-470 radio, it will go up to 480 without causing any problems. Anything more and you will have to re align it.

N4KVE

If it's a 403-470 radio, it will go up to 480 without causing any problems. Anything more and you will have to re align it.
Not worth the bother. The hi split 6550’s always sell for less than the low split version because most hams don’t want them. I did pick up a hi split 6550 recently, & it was $50. It came from the Depot only 6 months before I got it, so it was literally brand new. Like K2NEC wrote, 10 megs into the other band split.

PACNWDude

I wish I could find 450-512MHz XPR6550's for $50 each, I use them often for work. However, for opening up U1/2 range like the newer XPR7550/e radios, you will want to search for how to Hex edit a XPR6550 for amateur use online. Hex editing works, but I eventually found it tiresome to do so and ended up buying an Anytone 878 for my amateur use instead.

Golay

Not worth the bother. The hi split 6550’s always sell for less than the low split version because most hams don’t want them. I did pick up a hi split 6550 recently, & it was $50. It came from the Depot only 6 months before I got it, so it was literally brand new. Like K2NEC wrote, 10 megs into the other band split.
I was going to say something along the same lines, for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.