SDR# Is there a way to simulate a trunking system with an SDR or PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmason04

I support our police.
Howdy,
I was reading and read about a piece of hardware that can simulate a trunking system but was curious if there is a sort of software or SDR program that can simulate a trunked system.

Thanks,
David

Reconrider

Are you asking if you can "fake/broadcast" a trunk system by using an SDR?

Short answer, no
Long answer, no

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
@Reconrider: Why no? With SDR transciever(s), I imagine you could write something to simulate a trunking system (as a test instrument, for example). Obviously you need to know what you're doing, but it seems possible.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I don't see why not. In the end, its just a repetitive string of data being broadcast over a radio frequency. That may be a bit of an oversimplification, but if you remove the TX aspect of it and just focus on the pure data or symbols, it would probably become pretty trivial to simulate a trunking protocol.

I've done a lot of work on this project on and off over the last year or so, and I was just pondering the other day that I might could do something similar to what your asking. I have a pretty solid grasp on how EDACS systems work now, and if I had time I could possibly make a crude or rudimentary simulation of a control channel using C or Python, and something like GNURADIO to make a sound signal with the output data stream. It certainly wouldn't be full featured, but given time and desire, I could probably make it pump out basic things like a system id, simulated calls with AFS or group and sender info, and peers and patches.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,
I was reading and read about a piece of hardware that can simulate a trunking system but was curious if there is a sort of software or SDR program that can simulate a trunked system.

Thanks,
David

The problem her is you do not define "simulate". Do you mean control channel data? Do you mean control channel radio signal? Do you mean control channel radio signal along with traffic channel radio signal? Knowing what you want to do might answer this.

slicerwizard

Howdy,
The software might exist or maybe not, but certainly could be created. As noted, you haven't clarified what constitutes a simulation.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
There’s a project over at communications.support which is attempting to do this.

dmason04

I support our police.
S
The problem her is you do not define "simulate". Do you mean control channel data? Do you mean control channel radio signal? Do you mean control channel radio signal along with traffic channel radio signal? Knowing what you want to do might answer this.
Sorry for not clarifying, I want to simulate a control channel with an SDR is possible or possibly with some sort of software.

boatbod

Simulate as in send a datastream of P25? I'm pretty sure Max's version of op25 can do that but I've never tried it personally.

dmason04

I support our police.
Simulate as in send a datastream of P25? I'm pretty sure Max's version of op25 can do that but I've never tried it personally.

I've been looking for OP25 but can't seem to find a place to download it. Do you know where I might find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.