• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris Unity XG-100P system scan not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used Unity XG-100P and have been using it for a few weeks. It’s been working well and how I wanted it to. I recently stopped being able to scan a system (NAS) that I had no problem scanning before. I had added more talkgroups into the group set (161 total) and it will no longer scan any of the talkgroups unless I create a custom scan list. I don’t want to do that because it slows the radio WAY down. I have several other NAS systems that work just fine still, all without custom scan lists, and I haven’t changed anything in the system in question other than adding talkgroups to the group set. Is there a limit here? I have another radio that affiliates as a subscriber and has received audio on talkgroups, so I know the Harris is missing audio.

Any ideas? Thanks all!

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
It's undocumented but Harris radios typically won't scan more than 128 groups at a time. I've never gotten it to work anyways, all the way back to the 7100 series, once you went past 127 it would no longer scan, only receiving on the group selected.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
It's undocumented but Harris radios typically won't scan more than 128 groups at a time. I've never gotten it to work anyways, all the way back to the 7100 series, once you went past 127 it would no longer scan, only receiving on the group selected.
It is documented, it's the SYSGRP limit of the radio itself. I just upgraded my XG-25M to 1024+ Max SYSGRP and it works fine (the default for that radio is 512). You have to look at the features of the radio, some radios come default with 128, you just have to upgrade the feature string.

I would have thought the XG100P came default with Max SYSGRP but apparently not.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The System/Groups limit is NOT the same as the "maximum number of groups you can scan in one set", don't confuse the two.

You can have up to 1024 groups in a single set, but you can only tick the scan box on 127 of them if you want scan to work. This is unrelated to the SYSGRP number controlled by features.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The System/Groups limit is NOT the same as the "maximum number of groups you can scan in one set", don't confuse the two.

You can have up to 1024 groups in a single set, but you can only tick the scan box on 127 of them if you want scan to work. This is unrelated to the SYSGRP number controlled by features.
On my XG-25M I'm pretty sure I checked way more than that, I guess I better double check that.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Ughhhhh I just programmed my radio with more than 128 TGs checked on scan in the group set list and it's not working. That really sucks. I then modified it so only 127 was checked and it works fine.

Is this for all versions of RPM? Was this bug fixed in RPM2?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
It's been around forever as far as I can tell. I haven't tried it on the XL platform yet, it's a complete code re-write so maybe that bug isn't there. But it's been on all the 7100/7200/7300/XG series that I've come across.

TDR-94

It's been around forever as far as I can tell. I haven't tried it on the XL platform yet, it's a complete code re-write so maybe that bug isn't there. But it's been on all the 7100/7200/7300/XG series that I've come across.

Is this limit specific to P25T TG's? I have 131 EDACS TG's in one groupset and my P7100 and P7200's have been scanning them. I'll have to double check ,but I believe every TG is selected.

Funny how this limitation doesn't apply to P25C or Conventional channels. I had over 400 channels in a P25C groupset in the XG-100P and it scanned them all, slow as molasses!

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Is this limit specific to P25T TG's? I have 131 EDACS TG's in one groupset and my P7100 and P7200's have been scanning them. I'll have to double check ,but I believe every TG is selected.

Funny how this limitation doesn't apply to P25C or Conventional channels. I had over 400 channels in a P25C groupset in the XG-100P and it scanned them all, slow as molasses!
Remember when u combine trunking and conventional or different trunking systems you’re making the radio have to re-scan control channels

TDR-94

Remember when u combine trunking and conventional or different trunking systems you’re making the radio have to re-scan control channels

I should have said the 400 P25C channels were just a single conventional frequency set. They were not assigned as a Conventional Priority System, so there was no trunked system combined in the scanning.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
I should have said the 400 P25C channels were just a single conventional frequency set. They were not assigned as a Conventional Priority System, so there was no trunked system combined in the scanning.
Do you think it’s possible to fit the entire state of NY… all major systems and freqs into a single mission plan? Haha

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Better then Motorola… won’t let u add more then 30 members to a scan list
For XTS/XTL it's 15 with the special mod to Astro25 CPS; APX CPS is approximately 52 scan list members for 1 system (I'll have to check when I get home, it in the 50s).

So yeah 127 is a lot more than Moto. Also it's really nice to be able to park on a channel and switch scan on/off, see what site your monitoring and the RSSI level etc from the FCC menu.

TDR-94

Do you think it’s possible to fit the entire state of NY… all major systems and freqs into a single mission plan? Haha

A single mission plan is basically limited to a total combination of 1250 TG's and conventional channels with RPM14. If you use the same TG or channel names, multiple times, you can technically get more.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
A single mission plan is basically limited to a total combination of 1250 TG's and conventional channels with RPM14. If you use the same TG or channel names, multiple times, you can technically get more.
ahh was wondering that also.. about to ask it in a new thread..... if talk groups are spread across multiple sites.. do you just re-enter them again in the next site

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
ahh was wondering that also.. about to ask it in a new thread..... if talk groups are spread across multiple sites.. do you just re-enter them again in the next site
Yes, you can share group sets across systems without impacting your alpha tag (group names) count, until you hit a hard limit in RPM of approx. 13,824 TG's, assuming your personality size isn't maxed out with other things by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.