Is Lafayette Dist 14 ISP using Phase II now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Since last week I can still get their TGs on my SDS200 but I can no longer get them on my GRE type scanners (and they just show "VC" when they land on a Dist 14 TG, b/c they don't know what kind of voice channel it is anymore) There is also no audio when this happens, but the audio plays fine on my SDS200 though.

west-pac

Since last week I can still get their TGs on my SDS200 but I can no longer get them on my GRE type scanners (and they just show "VC" when they land on a Dist 14 TG, b/c they don't know what kind of voice channel it is anymore) There is also no audio when this happens, but the audio plays fine on my SDS200 though.

No. Check your settings on your GREs, and CC/ACC freqs.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
No. Check your settings on your GREs, and CC/ACC freqs.
I didn't change anything & they worked great up until a week ago, on the Dist 14 TGs. Also like I said my native phase II scanner (my SDS200) still receives Dist 14 perfectly. .... Also 6 GRE type scanners wouldn't all wig out at the same time.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Bump, Bump I'm the OP of this thread & just wanted to update it a l'il. ... I figured out that the reason I thought Dist 14 had gone phase II was because, from where I live I can only get them on the Fowler site, which is 40 miles away & sometimes doesn't come in to well. The only other time I can get Dist 14 is if they are up around the 192 on I-65 and then they are on the Monon site, which I can receive well. .... Also, I was talking to Midwest Electronics in Michigan City & they said that someone at ISP Dist 13 told them that ISP doesn't have any plans to go to phase II.

GTO_04

AFAIK, there are zero SAFE-T users Phase II right now. It is my understanding that while it is planned for SAFE-T migrate to Phase II, the process has not even started yet.

GTO_04

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
the process has not even started yet.
You do know that in 2020 that IN started up grading the SAFE-T sites to phase II capable. I have one of my GRE type scanners dedicated to running Pro96com and sometimes when I start up pro96com it shows the Monon site as alternated between phase 1 or II and I don't know how that is determined by the site. Also, if you look at the site data a lot of it will be lines about 6.25 KHz.

Last edited:

usswood

You do know that in 2020 that IN started up grading the SAFE-T sites to phase II capable. I have one of my GRE type scanners dedicated to running Pro96com and sometimes when I start up pro96com it shows the Monon site as alternated between phase 1 or II and I don't know how that is determined by the site. Also, if you look at the site data a lot of it will be lines about 6.25 KHz.
All that means is the equipment is already in place...Phase II is on just not in use!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
IPSC will take SAFE-T to Phase II in the not to distant future. But firstly, they want EVERYONE to have upgraded their radios to units that can do TDMA. That is going to take a couple of years. Yes, the ENTIRE SAFE-T has been updated to the newest Motorola ASTRO-25 Firmware ( v. 7.18) and is fully capable of TDMA, and passes TDMA data. But there are STILL some users that have FDMA only capable radios. IPSC has already put out the word that there will be NO NEW FDMA ONLY radios put on the system, and has started letting folks know that everyone needs to be upgrading to TDMA capable radios. They are also working with users to get all of the discontinued older radios like the Motorola XTS's gone, and replaced with TDMA capable ones like the APX's. Again, this will take a couple more years. As has been stated, the last year was all about upgrading the firmware, and fully linking FirstNET into SAFE-T. Even with the COVID-19 and staffing delays, that was fully done. This year has been about making sure all users know that things are about to move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The
@milf Can a GRE type scanner read TDMA data channels? If they can I might keep a few of them around to run Pro96com on.
The GRE PSR-800 can do TDMA. The Whistler TRX's can do TDMA. The Whistler WS-1080 and above can do TDMA. All you need is ANY tapped scanner to feed even the PRO-96 will do. They can read the P25 CC stream. Pro96Com, Universal Trunker etc will do the decoding and show the packets of data. As long as they do not upgrade to the true TDMA CC's that are popping up on the newest systems its all good.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Any radio that can feed P25 data into a software is usable for decoding. Thus usable for analysis. But you will need a TDMA capable scanner or such once TDMA voice is used. But if they did upgrade to the TDMA CC, then you could only use software to hear the voice if a firmware upgrade is made. No current scanner, and as far as I know even the Unications do not have capability for true P25 TDMA CC yet. Only actual system radios can do that currently. But as far as I know, there are no Public Safety systems going this route currently. Only A few very large utilities.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Any radio that can feed P25 data into a software is usable for decoding
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I'm clear on that I'll need phase II capable scanners for listening. That's why I asked if my phase 1 GREs could read out phase II site data, b/c I have about a half dozen of them and I want to keep a few around for running pro96com on & sell the rest on eBay. Luckly, it seems that (for a data purpose for older scanners), just like they said on the Scanner Guys that, most phase II data channels are 12.5 KHz wide. ....What I wonder is if the SDS200 will be software upgradable for true TDMA CCs. If true TDMA CC becomes the standard, talk about a real scanner extinction then, possibly only the SDSs would survive. ... I have a SDS200 & a PC SDR setup for when SAFE-T goes regular phase II though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.