BCD325P2/BCD996P2: MN ARMER Digital: BCD996XT to BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhcomm1

Premium Subscriber
I have two 996XT's that receive the MN ARMER digital trunking system just fine, purchased a new 996P2, transferred the programming via FreeSCAN, the 996P2 is completely quite. My first thought was that I had a bad scanner, returned it but same problem with the second new one. Prigramming issues? Thaqnks

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
My first thought was that I had a bad scanner, returned it but same problem with the second new one.
Hi & welcome to the RR forums: Before you come to the conclusion that you have a faulty unit, other RX tests can be done, like listening to your local NOAA weather frequency if you have one within listening range

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Just try a new program for the 996P2 with the best site in that trunk system. It's not hard to put in the control channels and a couple of TG's. Make sure the #1 bank is on.
FreeScan probably ; MOT P25/P25 Standard.
Make sure the 996P2 Firmware is updated also.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Freescan support for the 996P2 is "experimental" as indicated on their website & there hasn't been an update in over 6 years. I'd consider Proscan instead. Updates are typically released several times a month and its developer is an active & extremely responsive member here on the forums. Being you're already a premium subscriber you can upload data straight from the RR database directly to Proscan

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Could it be something in the Profile that isn't loading or perhaps has a Quick Key off?

I know the Minnesota system is very complex with so many little settings that can create issues.

mhcomm1

Premium Subscriber
I reprogrammed to a very basic ARMER system. Only three sites and ID search. Scanner does receive random communications now but only about 10% of what my XT’s do. Scanner is ok receiving Wx and vhf/uhf conventional. Wondering about P25 adjustments.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I use FreeScan for both my 996xt and 996p2 with no problems... maybe there are some system settings not transferred to the p2?
Try downloading the file directly from the xt model, make sure you have all the checkboxes ticked including the "erase all systems and settings" on the download transfer dialog window.... then reload it the same way to the p2 model making sure you have clicked the "erase all systems and settings".

mhcomm1

Premium Subscriber
Just try a new program for the 996P2 with the best site in that trunk system. It's not hard to put in the control channels and a couple of TG's. Make sure the #1 bank is on.
FreeScan probably ; MOT P25/P25 Standard.
Make sure the 996P2 Firmware is updated also.
Programmed three sites using P25 system, ID search, auto threshold. Barely received anything. Changed threshold to 8 (manual mode) and one site did receive fairly well. Other two sites, nothing. So frustrating.
(Did the same using a Motorola type 2 system and nothing. )

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I reprogrammed to a very basic ARMER system. Only three sites and ID search. Scanner does receive random communications now but only about 10% of what my XT’s do. Scanner is ok receiving Wx and vhf/uhf conventional. Wondering about P25 adjustments.

You may try scanning one site for now, and see if that doesn't improve results. Also is it a simulcast towers? Sometimes the audio decode is rough on simulcast. One scanner is okay and the next one isn't.

You can try messing with the P25 stuff, like manual versus auto and threshold values to see if that combo works. Also, try turning on the site attenuator, just for the heck of it.

lu81fitter

Sometimes I listen to different systems on my 996P2 and I adjust the squelch differently for each. I usually have the squelch on the max setting when monitoring analog stuff and about 4 when listening to digital stuff. If I forget to turn it back down, I hear almost nothing on digital. Have you checked the squelch setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.