Business Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8HDU

This is probably a noob question. Does the database on RR, in conjunction with the PSREdit500 Program, have the ability to search and upload to my Whistler WS1065, business frequencies?

I went looking for my license, (itinerant user), and the only thing that displays is one of 17 schools in the area.

I'm trying to avoid pawing through various personal scanner lists, and use only information in the FCC database. And of course, keeping from having to hand enter everything.

A nudge in the right direction would help.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I apologize, I can't answer your question exactly, as I use Uniden scanners, however, a couple tips:

A lot of business frequencies are going to be a mix of conventional with CTCSS tone or DPL, or digital DMR or NXDN, the latter two are becoming more popular. I am not familiar with the WS1065, but does it have the ability to receive DMR? I would probably recommend the Whistler TRX 1 or 2 for business frequencies which includes DMR and NXDN.

So what I do, I use an Excel spreadsheets. I copy and paste from FCC data to Excel, edit where necessary, and then copy into my programming software (in your case, the PSREdit500)

wtp

I went looking for my license...so you know the user.
(itinerant user)...so you know the frequency.

i guess you are looking for the LICENSE ?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Does the database on RR, in conjunction with the PSREdit500 Program, have the ability to search and upload to my Whistler WS1065, business frequencies?

I went looking for my license, (itinerant user), and the only thing that displays is one of 17 schools in the area.

The RR database only contains frequencies/systems that have been submitted by someone who has monitored and verified them. There IS an FCC database search available, but that shows what is *licensed*, not what is in use.

So to answer your question directly, if you (or someone else) has submitted your business frequencies to RR, then you can use programming software to download the information into your scanner. If no one has submitted the information, then you won't be able to download it.

Last edited:

W8HDU

What I would like to do is load up a couple of banks in my scanner with Low Band business frequencies and let the scanner run for a couple of weeks. A nice feature of the WS1065 is it's "hits counter" which tells how many times the radio has received on a certain frequency.

The other half of my curiosity is; out of those licensees on low band, how many people area really using the frequency?

Every time I've talked to other hams and radio shop owners, they say nobody is using low band at all. I figure the best way to answer the question is to run the scanner, and channels I get a hit on, monitor them to see if it's a real user or just noise bursts.

WTP
: No, not the license. Just the frequencies a person or business has licensed a low band frequency, such as myself.

SONM10: the WS1065 does not have DMR that I know of. Unless DMR is the same format as P25 for Ohio MARCS. The radio may have it, but I'be not had the need to check.

SALLEN07: What you describe is essentially what I want to do, monitor them and verify if licensed users are using the frequency. One would think at least the itinerant users, (like myself), would be using the frequencies. The other users which may still be active are small tower police and fire departments.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What I would like to do is load up a couple of banks in my scanner with Low Band business frequencies and let the scanner run for a couple of weeks. A nice feature of the WS1065 is it's "hits counter" which tells how many times the radio has received on a certain frequency.

The other half of my curiosity is; out of those licensees on low band, how many people area really using the frequency?

Every time I've talked to other hams and radio shop owners, they say nobody is using low band at all. I figure the best way to answer the question is to run the scanner, and channels I get a hit on, monitor them to see if it's a real user or just noise bursts.

Best thing to do is simply set up limit search banks for the ranges you want to search; if I recall correctly the WS1065 (aka PSR600/Pro-197) can have up to 10 search banks.

I don't recall if the hit counter works on searches or not. I think it does, but I'm just not sure.

I usually use Win500 to do limit searches with my Pro-197 scanners; it logs every hit in the software.

bharvey2

The database does have a list of common / itinerant frequencies that are used. Sort of a generic list as it were. Those database lists don't list any businesses associated with those frequencies. For those, you'd have to go to your specific locale and see if anyone has submitted additional information either for a particular business of for a radio service provider. In the case of the latter, the description usually lists the type of user, e.g. security, taxi, tow service, etc.

W8HDU

Best thing to do is simply set up limit search banks for the ranges you want to search

If I'm reading the documentation correctly, I can set up a search between two frequencies, but there is nothing to suggest that a "hit" would be retained in some way. I'll have to check the docs for the other versions of the scanner and see what they say about retention of frequencies. The one thing I would have to sort out is if I had a hit on a frequency, identifying what service or user it is.

By the way, Tom, I'm using PSREdit500 program.

wtp

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
If I'm reading the documentation correctly, I can set up a search between two frequencies, but there is nothing to suggest that a "hit" would be retained in some way. I'll have to check the docs for the other versions of the scanner and see what they say about retention of frequencies. The one thing I would have to sort out is if I had a hit on a frequency, identifying what service or user it is.

By the way, Tom, I'm using PSREdit500 program.

Bummer. PSRedit500 has no logging capability that I can see.

Also looks suspiciously like Win500....

PaMonitor

Premium Subscriber
If I'm reading the documentation correctly, I can set up a search between two frequencies,

What your "limit search" should look like:

1647543201819.png
Push SRCH until you get to Srch Limit.
Then push F! to modify start/end limits. Better to search in smaller increments. And it will require monitoring.

If you have a list of possible "candidates" you could use a TRX and do something like this:
1647543924794.png
Where you can record audio, retrieve Metadata, and not have to monitor it.

W8HDU

Bummer. PSRedit500 has no logging capability that I can see. Also looks suspiciously like Win500....

Is Win500 still around? I wrote to them about getting a key, (since that's what I had before), and never heard from anyone. I figured it was deadware having not received a reply.

What your "limit search" should look like:

Is this another program I would need to get to get? I don't recall seeing this screen in PSRedit500, and if Win500 is not around, what are the choices?

PaMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Is this another program I would need to get to get? I don't recall seeing this screen in PSRedit500,

That is a PSREdit scanner control screenshot of my Pro-197, which is a forerunner of WS 1065. Both PSREdit and ARC500 have this utility. You don't need software to do a search in this manner.

This is the screen you should get after pressing F1 under Lmts:
1647608270626.png

You don't need software to do any of this. Use the up and down arrows to scroll to FrLo/FrHi. Then enter your search parameters. When done, press F1 under Save. You will then get a screen like my previous screenshot, where it scan through the selected range.

Status
Not open for further replies.