One missing feature that would have been great on the SDS100 for use with ProScan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
A remote startup feature would have been "the bomb" for the SDS100... if it could have been designed that way. Being able to turn the scanner on/off from ProScan would have been nice. When I use the computer to control the radio, (on my main system) I keep the radio some distance from the computer which can make it a little inconvenient to turn on and off. I'm getting by with using the volume, but even if I cannot turn it on, I don't see why there could be not be provision to turn it off.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
hardware switches cant be turned on by software unless they were built that way but then they would be so big that they wouldn't fit in small spaces.

GROL

A remote startup feature would have been "the bomb" for the SDS100... if it could have been designed that way. Being able to turn the scanner on/off from ProScan would have been nice. When I use the computer to control the radio, (on my main system) I keep the radio some distance from the computer which can make it a little inconvenient to turn on and off. I'm getting by with using the volume, but even if I cannot turn it on, I don't see why there could be not be provision to turn it off.
The power switch is what is usually refered to as a soft key. It isn't a physical power contact. Depends on how much is turned off with that soft key. I imagine most of the radio, but having a remote soft key probably could have been done, just not with the current design.

The soft power key on my Yaesu FT-857D will turn the radio on and off when power is applied if you last left the radio on and removed external power. Would be nice if the SDS100 worked that way.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Well, since every other operaton is possible (when it's on) one would think ProScan could be updated to have a POWER OFF button.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well, since every other operaton is possible (when it's on) one would think ProScan could be updated to have a POWER OFF button.
If the power is off then how can ProScan communicate with the scanner to tell it to turn on?

{edit} I think a IP type of AC switch would be your best option or maybe not since the scanner won't power down properly and save the settings to the SD card.

GROL

If the power is off then how can ProScan communicate with the scanner to tell it to turn on?

{edit} I think a IP type of AC switch would be your best option or maybe not since the scanner won't power down properly and save the settings to the SD card.
The power is not truly off. That button is a soft button. Power is still applied to some circuits of the radio, at least enough to recognize pressing the ON button. A more accurate description is that it is asleep or in standby. Almost all modern electronics work this way. TVs, DVRs, DVD/Blueray players. Cell phones! Computers have a not so often used feature known as Wake-On-Lan. When you turn off your computer, it is in reality in a standby mode if power is still applied. If Wake-On-Lan is enabled and used, you can "turn on" a computer by sending a command to it over the network it is connected to.

Radios in standby draw microamps of power, so battery drain is very minimal. Unless it is a Wouxon handheld like one that I bought. In standby it will drain the battery in a few days. A known issue.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The closest you can get now with ProScan is to send the MSM command without a timeout specified. That will put the scanner in Mass Storage mode indefinitely I believe.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The power is not truly off. That button is a soft button. Power is still applied to some circuits of the radio, at least enough to recognize pressing the ON button. A more accurate description is that it is asleep or in standby. Almost all modern electronics work this way. TVs, DVRs, DVD/Blueray players. Cell phones! Computers have a not so often used feature known as Wake-On-Lan. When you turn off your computer, it is in reality in a standby mode if power is still applied. If Wake-On-Lan is enabled and used, you can "turn on" a computer by sending a command to it over the network it is connected to.

Radios in standby draw microamps of power, so battery drain is very minimal. Unless it is a Wouxon handheld like one that I bought. In standby it will drain the battery in a few days. A known issue.
It may not be truly off but the the serial interface does not work .

GROL

It may not be truly off but the the serial interface does not work .
Understand. But the serial interface could have been made to wake up when a signal was sent to it just as is done with Wake-On-Lan. There are apparently some UARTs that will wake up when a signal is sent to them.

Ubbe

The power is not truly off. That button is a soft button. Power is still applied to some circuits of the radio, at least enough to recognize pressing the ON button.
Agree, but only goes to a simple switching circuit. I'm pretty sure that there's no power applied to the CPU circuits in Unidens handheld scanners. When scanner are running, the CPU signals to a power switching transistor or IC to keep the power on. When you signal to the CPU from the on/off button to switch off, the CPU it will do a controlled shutdown with a save to SD card, if it uses one, and then the CPU cut the signal to the switching transistor/IC that then cuts all power.

When you push the On/Off button to power up you route power from the live side of the power switch, the battery power, thru a resistor and the button to a buffer transistor that then signals to the power switch to pass power to the rest of the scanner and the CPU then starts up.

/Ubbe

GROL

Agree, but only goes to a simple switching circuit. I'm pretty sure that there's no power applied to the CPU circuits in Unidens handheld scanners. When scanner are running, the CPU signals to a power switching transistor or IC to keep the power on. When you signal to the CPU from the on/off button to switch off, the CPU it will do a controlled shutdown with a save to SD card, if it uses one, and then the CPU cut the signal to the switching transistor/IC that then cuts all power.

When you push the On/Off button to power up you route power from the live side of the power switch, the battery power, thru a resistor and the button to a buffer transistor that then signals to the power switch to pass power to the rest of the scanner and the CPU then starts up.

/Ubbe
I am at a disadvantage not having a schematic for the SDS 100. I have the schematic for the UBC125XLT and looked for the power on circuit. . It works the same way. Q304 switches the power when the power button is pressed. A UART with a wakeup function could just as well activate the power, but of course all this would require a design change to incorporate the function. It would be a neat feature. Also, it would be possible to add external circuits to do the same thing, but you would have to extend the power button contacts out of the scanner with wiring to a device that detected serial data received at the USB port and processed a command. Sounds like a project for the ARDUINO experimenters.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Have done a shutdown on the wrong computer while remoted in, and had to go for a drive.

Oh yeah. Been there, done that. Fortunately that system was in a data center 30 minutes from me, not in a different time zone or on a different continent!

On a related note, when I was just starting my career in IT, the group I was in supported a number of VAXes. You could use DECnet to log in from one VAX to another and run the shutdown command. Unfortunately, one of the things that "shutdown" did was to turn off DECnet, so you would get disconnected, and the shutdown would stop, in a state where you couldn't log in again unless you were at the system console. Ooops. Time to get in the car.

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The closest you can get now with ProScan is to send the MSM command without a timeout specified. That will put the scanner in Mass Storage mode indefinitely I believe.
This, along with an IP based switch would accomplish what the OP wants. Go into MSM, wait a period of time, then trigger the IP switch. To turn it back on, trigger the IP switch.

These days, you could use a smart outlet and have your favorite smart assistant replace the IP switch.

Ubbe

Sounds like a project for the ARDUINO experimenters.
Arduino are great little things that would easily fit in the scanner and I think they can be programmed by anyone who understands logik, if X-then do this- else do that. I believe it has some sort of power save/sleep mode where it doesn't use much power. Let it sense the RX data pin on the USB connector to wake up from sleep and then activate the on/off circuitry. It could even sense when RX data have been gone for a few minutes and simulate a long push on the on/off to power off the scanner, if needed when communication are lost, or sense a whole data telegram that where sent to be used as power off, perhaps the Att Off command which doesn't matter to the scanner.

/Ubbe

blacktop

Feed Provider
I'm not sure if this might work for you, but it has served me well. I have 6 or 7 remote sites feeding various radio sources (airports, WeatherRadio Canada, FlightAware Flight Feeders, ADSB-exchange & FlightRadar24 Pi feeders, etc). What I do is put a 'smart plug' ahead of every computer, scanner, or pi device. They're pretty cheap, when you factor in either gasoline or convenience if you have to make a trip to physically correct something. I use computers that have in the BIOS an option to reboot upon re-application of main power. So all of my devices have the capacity of being turned off and then turned back on via the iOS or Android app. The particular brand of smart plug I use are Meross, but I'm sure many models would work in this situation. The smart plugs all report back to a central server, so they can be set up anywhere...there just needs to be a source of internet connectivity.

This solution has saved me countless hours of drive time. I'm setting up a new site that is a 4 hour drive from me, and though smart plugs are not a full solution for every situation, that, combined with Proscan and Remote Desktop software pretty well keeps me from having to make those trips...

Status
Not open for further replies.