Highlands-Wings frequencies, is it still the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I was using my scanner for my county E-911 stuff and I was wondering if Highlands still uses the same Wings frequencies and if LIFESTAR frequencies are the same as previously listed. Can anyone confirm or give me the updated frequencies if they have been updated? Thanks, fireairmedlistener.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Definitely TACN users these days. UT as well. You’ll hear highlands on the local frequencies just prior to landing in many instances.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
If you have a scanner capable of P25 Phase II you might hear them. If you’re close to either JCMC or UT you’ll definitely hear one of the two on TACN. I’m not so sure about Highlands but Lifestar is frequently on the radio passing information from the air to their dispatch.

Usually whenever they are close to the LZ they will switch over to the local EMS or fire channels to talk to the first responders about LZ and patient information. So to get the full story you’d need to hear both.

You can also track their flight paths on here.

You’re going to see a lot more transition to TACN in the coming year. All of Hamblen County is switching this year.

There is cheaper alternatives than the SDS 100 and 200. But if simulcast is occurring in your local area you’ll need something that can handle that.

If you have a scanner capable of P25 Phase II you might hear them. If you’re close to either JCMC or UT you’ll definitely hear one of the two on TACN. I’m not so sure about Highlands but Lifestar is frequently on the radio passing information from the air to their dispatch.

Usually whenever they are close to the LZ they will switch over to the local EMS or fire channels to talk to the first responders about LZ and patient information. So to get the full story you’d need to hear both.

You can also track their flight paths on here.

You’re going to see a lot more transition to TACN in the coming year. All of Hamblen County is switching this year.

There is cheaper alternatives than the SDS 100 and 200. But if simulcast is occurring in your local area you’ll need something that can handle that.
Since I am a amateur at this, what is simulcast?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Since I am a amateur at this, what is simulcast?

Some areas like Kingsport, Johnson City, and Knoxville simulcast. I THINK (heavy emphasis on the think) Hamblen Co. will simulcast, but I could be wrong. You might still get away without having a SDS 100 or 200. Some of the other scanners can handle it but not as reliably as the SDS series.

Last edited:

zachgallop

UT Lifestar tones their calls out over their UHF Chilhowee Mtn Repeater if you are within range of that repeater. From my understanding, all their UHF Repeaters are linked to an app called Tango Tango. Other Aeromedical Services also contact UT Lifestar Dispatch/Knox Med Link II on their UHF repeater when they are in the general range of UT Medical Center. However, once Lifestar gets off the ground, most of their comms are done over TACN with Dispatch. They also use their VHF channel regularly. For Highlands, I have heard them utilizing the TACN talk group in the database. Also, the RMCCs that Dispatch the Aeromedical Services in Tennessee communicate with each on TACN talk group 47115 and coordinate their aviation assets and other EMS resources, if you have any interest in listening to that.

UT Lifestar tones their calls out over their UHF Chilhowee Mtn Repeater if you are within range of that repeater. From my understanding, all their UHF Repeaters are linked to an app called Tango Tango. Other Aeromedical Services also contact UT Lifestar Dispatch/Knox Med Link II on their UHF repeater when they are in the general range of UT Medical Center. However, once Lifestar gets off the ground, most of their comms are done over TACN with Dispatch. They also use their VHF channel regularly. For Highlands, I have heard them utilizing the TACN talk group in the database. Also, the RMCCs that Dispatch the Aeromedical Services in Tennessee communicate with each on TACN talk group 47115 and coordinate their aviation assets and other EMS resources, if you have any interest in listening to that.
I have my scanner programmed to the Chilhowee Mtn Repeater and all I get is static because I use a scanner from 1999 but I can hear good for Hamblen County E-911, how far from the Chilhowee Mtn Repeater would you say is in range of it.

zachgallop

I have my scanner programmed to the Chilhowee Mtn Repeater and all I get is static because I use a scanner from 1999 but I can hear good for Hamblen County E-911, how far from the Chilhowee Mtn Repeater would you say is in range of it.
Not sure of the range on it but I believe that repeater is in Blount County.

Status
Not open for further replies.