Any Whistler TRX 2 Users Able To Monitor NJICS System ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Some strange issues with my new TRX-2. Seems to have an aversion to DG, Dg and D2 modes on the NJICS system. Anyone have recently manufactured TRX working properly on that system? TIA.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I had the TRX 1 and 2 and had a tough time monitoring and phase 2 TRS. It was hit or miss depending on the system and my location. But for the most part it worked ok on the NJICS. The TRX suffers big time from simulcast deviation.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Some strange issues with my new TRX-2. Seems to have an aversion to DG, Dg and D2 modes on the NJICS system. Anyone have recently manufactured TRX working properly on that system? TIA.
Just to let you know, my 1095 and my trx1 do not work for me on NJICS... don't think that it matters if you have a recent or an original trx-2... I haven't heard of anything they've done to help with or change performance with simulcast distortion.

I think I have heard people say that the TRX one and two worked for them in the northern part of the state, it depends on location location location. FYI... I live just across the river from Burlington County, just south of Trenton and I use the Bordentown simulcast site. I get five bars with my 100 and 200 but I never had any luck with my trx1 on that system or any p2 system for that matter.

Again, I don't think it makes any difference if it's a original model or later model. Works great on the old New Jersey type ll smart Zone system but I think that's scheduled to disappear later this year.

Being that you're in New York City you might have better luck with North Jersey.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Unless you live in an area only within coverage of one single site on the system (as opposed to a "simulcast" group of sites) don't expect very much out of a Whistler on the NJICS. I owned a TRX-1 briefly and it performed quite poorly here & other area simulcast systems

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm nowhere near NJ, but my GRE-based scanners are horrendous on simulcast. On a non-simulcast site or conventional P25 they outperform Uniden by a mile in my opinion.

MStep

Ok guys. Things are becoming a bit clearer now. And I have to agree Kevin that it does sound great on conventional P25 as well as on some of the DMR stuff I monitor. Very smooth and clean digital decoding. I guess that this was the reason why there was a TRX-100 and TRX-200 in the works, to handle the sumulcast issues.

I also suffered through some of the USB cable issues as well. All I can say is that when the TRX-2 works, it works great. I will continue to experiment; at least I know I was not going crazy.

Thanks again guys.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Not being a wise guy, but I thought it's pretty much evident by now that the only non transmit radio's that pickup simulcast well are the sds100/200 and Unification's.
Yes. Just didn't apply here. There are a few other options also. Original poster is very familiar with the SDS units LOL. I think he's dipping his toes in something new.

You are right on the money though.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I could receive it on my TRX-1 here in Ct., but only because I am so far away and probably only hitting on one simulcast transmitter with my Yagi's. But the conditions have to be pretty good due to the not so great receive sensitivity. On the other hand, my Unication G5 has no problem because the front end receive sensitivity blows away the TRX-1 and my SDS-100. But yes, if you are close to too many towers, the TRX-1 or -2 will have difficulties with the simulcast distortion. You really need the SDS or Unication.

MStep

Not being a wise guy, but I thought it's pretty much evident by now that the only non transmit radio's that pickup simulcast well are the sds100/200 and Unification's.

I would have expected to hear something, be it garbled, out of sync, whatever. But I was surprised to hear nothing. Zero, zilch, zap, nada. Nor did I expect the number of issues with the USB port in terms of errors and corruption of the SD card, even though I had read reports of that occurring in the past. Apparently it is still an issue.

Yes, the "OP" was delving into uncharted waters, that's for sure.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would have expected to hear something, be it garbled, out of sync, whatever. But I was surprised to hear nothing. Zero, zilch, zap, nada.

At home, all my Whistler scanners work great on the county simulcast system, despite the location of two towers that are close. But when I take my TRX-1 scanner to work with me just a few miles from the house there is nothing on it. Point being location location location!

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I would have expected to hear something, be it garbled, out of sync, whatever. But I was surprised to hear nothing. Zero, zilch, zap, nada. Nor did I expect the number of issues with the USB port in terms of errors and corruption of the SD card.
Try just scanning one site, and lock out all control channels except the one in use. Open squelch up all the way. As far as the SD cards, get the MAX Endurance ones. And make sure you turn the radio off before removing the USB connector. If you have recording set and there is a recording being made, it will corrupt the card if you remove the USB in the middle of the recording. But once I started using the Max Endurance SD's, all my problems went away. I have the TRX-1 and WS1088.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I would have expected to hear something, be it garbled, out of sync, whatever. But I was surprised to hear nothing. Zero, zilch, zap, nada. Nor did I expect the number of issues with the USB port in terms of errors and corruption of the SD card.
Yep, same results for me. Every once in awhile I hear a word or two. Very sharp and clear. Doesn't cut it for me.

scannersnstuff

Although not a simulcast issue, my Psr-500 used to get crushed by front end overload. I still do miss it though. I would have never sold it,my bcd396xt,and my bc346xt, If I knew I'd be moving to a phase I area. I like my bcd325p2 and bcd436hp, but the other's had many advantage's over these.

Status
Not open for further replies.