San Francisco Public Safety going Digital June 2021

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
Not bee and A$$. Programming conventional into a scanner is way easier than Trunking I cry for you
heh! agreed! But I'm using a Bluetail P25RX right now, which seems to like to be in either trunked mode or conventional mode (but not both at the same time) but maybe I'm missing something in it's manual. Programming that into a Bearcat, etc would be straight-forward, indeed! Maybe I'll just use the BCT996p2 just for the simplex channels, because it's not always the best at the simulcast ones.

shinkley

Listen More
Premium Subscriber
Police dispatch and dispositions are mostly in the clear.
Just downloaded new SF P25 Phase II system using ARC Pro software on 436HP - but unchecked encrypted channels before loading. The database shows PD dispatch is DE, but this forum mentions dispatch is in the clear. Do I need to delete and start over to include all DE channels?

officer_415

Database Admin
Just downloaded new SF P25 Phase II system using ARC Pro software on 436HP - but unchecked encrypted channels before loading. The database shows PD dispatch is DE, but this forum mentions dispatch is in the clear. Do I need to delete and start over to include all DE channels?

Dispatch is in the clear on the "Te" talkgroups. The "TE" talkgroups are fully encrypted (if you hear any unencrypted traffic on those, let me know).

officer_415

Database Admin
FDMA! I didn't know what to call simplex "TDMA" style digital. That makes sense. Thanks.

FDMA and TDMA are really more trunking terms:

Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA) = P25 Phase 1
Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) = P25 Phase 2

Conventional P25 digital voice is single-slot, so it’s equivalent to FDMA.

Hyd25

I was wondering if there are any tones that can be programmed into a scanner for SFFD greater alarms? When they announce a 2nd or 3rd alarm on a Box if there any and specific tones on the radio used?

officer_415

Database Admin
I was wondering if there are any tones that can be programmed into a scanner for SFFD greater alarms? When they announce a 2nd or 3rd alarm on a Box if there any and specific tones on the radio used?

No, they don’t use tones for station alerting.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
What kind of range do the direct channels usually have? Would they be used for fighting a fire in a high rise, for example? Or be used in addition to the TAC channel for wider comms?

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
For a while, I tried running voice transcriptions on the automated dispatch channel, but the translations were full of errors.
It's too bad that SFFD doesn't have a text feed of the automated dispatch.

KD6JEK

What kind of range do the direct channels usually have? Would they be used for fighting a fire in a high rise, for example? Or be used in addition to the TAC channel for wider comms?
Not far at all… and definitely wouldn’t work in a high rise fire with all the concrete and metal.

Hyd25

The Building Code in San Francisco requires some Hi-Rise Buildings to have a on-site repeater systems for the Public Safety Radio System. In fact, there was a bulletin directed to certain buildings to upgrade their systems to P-25 phase II awhile back

rooivalk

Apparently, the system has been a safety issue and is not working well. A recent incident, downtown, where the Officers where in a footbail with an armed suspect, and the radio transmissions were unintelligible, has gained the interest of the Dept's Command Staff, as this incident is one of many where the system has failed during critical incidents.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
During the testing before rollout of the Phase 2 system there were plenty of airchecks testing the repeaters in high rises.

KG7PBS

Depending on where there at and what antenna they have. About 1 Mile on 7/800

nokoa3116

Apparently, the system has been a safety issue and is not working well. A recent incident, downtown, where the Officers where in a footbail with an armed suspect, and the radio transmissions were unintelligible, has gained the interest of the Dept's Command Staff, as this incident is one of many where the system has failed during critical incidents.
Like in what way, garble because of say reception, or the actual sound quality of the vocoder?

KD6JEK

With Palo Alto rescinding their encryption, I wonder if SFPD would do the same. I highly doubt it tho since they are already broadcasting dispatch in the clear, but it would be nice.