Iowa tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
I have been routinely making the trip from northern Missouri to indianola this weekend I took my psr600 along.

Between Wayne county and Warren county I didn't hear a single transmission on the new Iowa system, it was locking on the control channels.

Would this be normal to not hear any traffic.

(Note: it was programmed wildcard)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have been routinely making the trip from northern Missouri to indianola this weekend I took my psr600 along.

Between Wayne county and Warren county I didn't hear a single transmission on the new Iowa system, it was locking on the control channels.

Would this be normal to not hear any traffic.

(Note: it was programmed wildcard)
If you are referring to the statewide system:

By far the majority of the talkgroups are P25 Phase II, which is beyond the capabilities of your PSR600.

Most of the counties in this area aren't on ISICS. They have their own P25 Phase I or DMR repeaters for law traffic. Some are using full or partial encryption for law transmissions. A lot of the law traffic is over cell phones via voice and texting as well as MACH to keep the public in the dark as to what is going on. Fire and EMS is largely still analog. Some even simplex so very short range. I recommend checking the radio reference frequency database for each county your going through or near as it varies from county to county.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Most of the counties in this area aren't on ISICS. They have their own P25 Phase I or DMR repeaters for law traffic. Some are using full or partial encryption for law transmissions. A lot of the law traffic is over cell phones via voice and texting as well as MACH to keep the public in the dark as to what is going on. Fire and EMS is largely still analog. Some even simplex so very short range. I recommend checking the radio reference frequency database for each county your going through or near as it varies from county to county.

Wait, wut? All 99 counties have access to ISICS, and the regional interoperability talkgroups... and these come through regardless of local operations membership. State department talkgroups still come through as well. Just because local operations aren't utilizing ISICS doesn't mean that nobody in the county uses it ever. There's still DOT crews, there's still DOT enforcement, there's still State Patrol, there's still DNR, etc.

The reason OP can't hear anything is because ISICS is predominately Phase 2 talkgroups which his scanner cannot decode.

Status
Not open for further replies.