Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

CrabbyMilton

When I was about 11-13 or so, I would make calls to random numbers and sometimes repeating the same numbers. Never usually said anything just hanging up or made a cartoon voice. One time I called one of the "regulars" and said nothing. The man at the other end said..."Let me talk to your mother." I hung up and never called that one again. :)

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
This was back in the days when the call takers wrote the info on a card and put it into a slot to send to the dispatcher. Once the dispatcher realized what he said, he asked the medic unit to standby. Sounds like udder nonsense!
neat. How would they send it? Did they have those bank drive thru style vacuumy tubes?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
So...I didn't here this on the air...I observed it, with my own eyes and ears.
Some time in the mid 1990s my VFD was dispatched to a CO detector activation with minor illness.
The gas company was enroute as well.
Shortly after, out first out engine arrived and started taking reading as I waited for manpower on the apron with the rescue truck.
My Truck Lt. at the time jumped in the passenger seat as other firefighters got into the cabin and we radioed in that we were responding.
Just before getting on scene, my Lt grabbed the mic....on a repeated. county-wide command channel and asked the Chief for orders.

The Chief asked for our manpower to bring an addition fan to the rear of the structure to assist in ventilation....and this Lt replied with...on a repeated. county-wide command channel...
" Okie Dokie Chiefie Wiefie"
I was asked to see to it that he didn't use the radio for a while.
I so saw in my mind the "Okay, USA!" scene from a certain old JCVD film LOL!

CrabbyMilton

You can think of any "number" of comebacks on that "one" perhaps "two". Unless someone else called because they heard a "boom boom" in the area.

CrabbyMilton

I still remember on from 40 years ago from our county transit system one morning. This one time well known/long time and liked bus driver would call in just about every morning for a radio check and just to make quick and funny conversation with the dispatchers. I'll change the driver's name. The dispatcher says" Mr. Johnson, you have a good day out there and be careful with that spanken brand new bus. "Oh I'll be careful. I don't want get get plastic all over the freeway." The dispatcher says..."Now Mr. Johnson, they wouldn't do that to you because..." Couldn't remember what but it was funny and nice that a driver was there so long and well known.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Heard in the clear from a FBI air surveillance asset - "Oh you can't miss him, he looks like he's been riding a horse all day... Let's designate him Cowboy...". Of course the ground units were encrypted, so no response was noted.

CrabbyMilton

Very recently at a smaller regional general aviation airport. Pilot: I just wanted to let you know that I just saw a fox right next to this taxiway. ATC: Oh that's a decoy fox. Pilot: Well that explains why he looks so pale. Then you hear laughter from the tower controller.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I was watching youtubes and saw Army sniper training course was using BaoFengs and Talkabout FRS radios hehe

How Army Snipers Train For Combat With Stalk Missions _ Boot Camp 5-49 screenshot.png

How Army Snipers Train For Combat With Stalk Missions _ Boot Camp 5-36 screenshot.jpg

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch after a chase of stolen vehicle:
{owner} is requesting information and how to retrieve the vehicle. I told him to get in touch with you.
Officer: (laughing) Oh you can be the bearer (of bad news) and pretty much let them know its totalled.
D: I figured as much but wanted to confirm with you first.