• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB home base station help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John4563

Hi guys,
I recently decided to get back into CB radios after probably over 30 years (since I was a kid). I don’t remember them being this complicated! I bought a Uniden bearcat 880 CB radio, a Pyramid 12V 5 AMP power supply, and a K40 CB antenna for my home base station. After setting these up, my SWR reading is extremely highly (3.5+). I have my entire setup within one room on the second floor of my house. My antenna is sitting in a metal baking pan (1ft-1ft) on my windowsill and my CB radio and power supply are on the other side of the room. I’m not sure what the issue is due to not knowing much about CB radios. Another issue is that my microphone doesn’t seem to be properly functioning. I’ve tried using the talkback feature on my radio and I’m getting no response from my mic. I’m not sure if microphones can affect SWR or not. If anybody has any tips for getting my SWR lower or how to better ground my setup please let me know. Maybe I need a bigger pan or use tin foil for my antenna?

Thanks,
John

arudlang

The baking pan probably just isn't big enough to make a full ground plane for that antenna. Maybe you could try the antenna on a large flat roof of a car and see if it improves. I'm assuming you have been attempting to tune the antenna per the directions (moving the whip up and down, probably some allen wrench was hopefully provided for that)

Talkback works well on my 980, I have to set it pretty high though and of course the volume has to be up on the unit as well. Maybe it would be worth getting one more inexpensive radio just to be able to test. I've bought some handhelds for around $20-25 off ebay and they end up pretty handy for testing. Otherwise about $50 might get you a brand new handheld from Uniden (basic model). It is suspicious if the talkback won't work...

Definitely try the antenna on a big flat metal car roof if you can or find/make a bigger ground plane and see what that does.

Maybe the radio is detecting the high SWR and refusing to transmit, *could* explain why you don't get any talkback but I don't know if this particular radio has that capability for sure.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Attempting to operate an effective base station using mobile antennas is at best a poor compromise. Many radio hobbyists (Ham's, CB'ers, SWL's) for some odd reason purchase or rent a home in an HOA. I have never, and will NEVER live under someone else's rules where I can put up my antennas. I live in a single-family house and have a Glen Martin Quad Pod on the peak of my roof, with numerous antennas utilizing side-arms and tower structures. I use Times Microwave LMR-400 on all antenna runs which cover many frequencies from HF Ham frequencies, CB channels, six meters, two meters, 222 MHz. and UHF. I have designated antennas for most bands. I know this would be overkill in your situation since you are only interested in running one CB radio with one CB radio antenna.

What you are trying to do is operate a base station under extreme conditions using a mobile-designated antenna. There are many styles, models, and creations that you can utilize and fool the HOA, your neighbors, and even other CB's you talk to on the air. There are still several really decent CB vendors out there who can assist you with choosing something that would work out for you. Here are a few I've had success purchasing quality products:

https://www.walcottradio.com
https://www.rightchannelradios.com

https://www.bellscb.com
https://truckscbsales.com

I would check with the above vendors, then go to Amazon and see if you can get better pricing, free shipping, and if you're an Amazon Prime member, possibly deep discounts.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Base station antenna or bust.

The antennas which try to accommodate “sorta realistic” in the end aren’t cheaper or really easier when one designs what’s needed at the outset.

A SIRIO Boomerang on a push-up pole in a 5-gl bucket isn’t going to be great, it’s just that I can take it up & down. (Use with travel trailer). Then pack away for travel. (Can’t leave out during storm, high winds, etc).

Roof is where it’s at. Reasonable permanency.

Welcome back, and set self to investigation of what will work . . and what it needs.

It’s my belief those so impelled re CB are called.

That’s a nice mobile antenna

Maybe that’s the starting point.

skynet888

Hi guys,
I recently decided to get back into CB radios after probably over 30 years (since I was a kid). I don’t remember them being this complicated! I bought a Uniden bearcat 880 CB radio, a Pyramid 12V 5 AMP power supply, and a K40 CB antenna for my home base station. After setting these up, my SWR reading is extremely highly (3.5+). I have my entire setup within one room on the second floor of my house. My antenna is sitting in a metal baking pan (1ft-1ft) on my windowsill and my CB radio and power supply are on the other side of the room. I’m not sure what the issue is due to not knowing much about CB radios. Another issue is that my microphone doesn’t seem to be properly functioning. I’ve tried using the talkback feature on my radio and I’m getting no response from my mic. I’m not sure if microphones can affect SWR or not. If anybody has any tips for getting my SWR lower or how to better ground my setup please let me know. Maybe I need a bigger pan or use tin foil for my antenna?

Thanks,
John
Hi John, you've probably heard it or thought of it already, but the Antron A99 is a great CB base antenna if you are able to get it up high. I use a tripod with a 20 foot mast works very well.

DeeEx

Build a dipole yourself, it’s probably the easiest radio project possible. Learn and have fun and have a product to be proud of.

That being said, vertical or inverted V work best for the space that the average person has available.

Build a beam you can rotate and tilt if you want to be really hardcore.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Hi John, you've probably heard it or thought of it already, but the Antron A99 is a great CB base antenna if you are able to get it up high. I use a tripod with a 20 foot mast works very well.
I was running a 5 foot firestick an a 4'x4' piece of sheet metal on my second story deck. Got the
Sirio Antenna Sirio GPE 27 5/8.
I put it on a 20 foot pole of the upper deck and a 100 times better.

ind224

Ok so I'll be listening for you on 36-40 LSB. When you have good conditions and low noise. I have local interference on 37 now but 40 is quiet.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
More than likely weekend before I can play, diong 12 to 14 hour days at work right now so get up go to work come home eat shower and go to sleep!

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
What is your handle have all the goodies coming this week.

ind224

indiana 224, sitting by, 36-40 LSB

The other night I was the last check in (#68) for the New Hampshire SSB net. I just happened upon it (36) scanning 36-40. Noise was way down and east coast was like locals for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.