RRDB 2.0 Beta Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm seeing the same thing, rather than listing the control and alts everything is listed as control channels. Is there a reason for this change @blantonl ?

View attachment 121249

Based on questions I've seen in the forums, my guess would be that the alternate designation is being eliminated. Apparently too many people have developed the habit of programming only "the red one" and then complaining that the scanner doesn't receive anything (because "the red one" doesn't happen to be active at that moment). By simply marking all control-capable channels as control, and not making a distinction between primary and alternates, there's less confusion.

Another issue is probably that, when a site happens to roll the control channel from primary to alternate, some people submit that and insist that the former primary be changed to alternate and the former alternate be changed to primary; that's a lot of extra unnecessary work for the administrators.

In the end, noting the difference between primary and alternate isn't necessary; as long as all control-capable channels are noted as such and programmed into radios, all will be well.

redcipher

Based on questions I've seen in the forums, my guess would be that the alternate designation is being eliminated.
Fair enough; though it might be good to communicate the change in any release news.

At least from a SDR standpoint, it's easy enough to identify what is active via the spectrograph, but it was still nice to have an idea of where to start.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would like an option to numerically sort frequency/DEC/HEX options.

For example while programming a trunked system, I set it to filter by service tag for fire channels, it would be nice to be able to then sort the filtered options in numerical order by DEC. Keeping only the fire channels, I otherwise despise having to scroll up and down constantly to delete the 95% of channels I Don't want.

At this point you'll probably be best off downloading the CSV for the county/system and sorting to your preferences.

I'm seeing the same thing, rather than listing the control and alts everything is listed as control channels. Is there a reason for this change @blantonl?

We're moving away from primary / alt control channels and just marking channels as control channel capable.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
We're moving away from primary / alt control channels and just marking channels as control channel capable.
While I understand the move, it would be helpful if you would please retain the primaries that are already marked, since those will remain correct in most cases, IME.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
While I understand the move, it would be helpful if you would please retain the primaries that are already marked, since those will remain correct in most cases, IME.
The decision was made in late 2020 and has already been implemented with RRDB v2.0. Going forward there will be a single designation of "control channel capable", with all previously flagged primary and alternate automatically converted to the new designation.

If you really care that much about the primary/alternate designations, I suggest you hurry up and archive that info before it's gone. I suppose you can make use of the wiki if it's that important to you to document them.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm getting pretty close to releasing to production. I've got a few loose ends to tie up, but so far things are looking extremely positive and good for a release before Sunday.

... If you really care that much about the primary/alternate designations, I suggest you hurry up and archive that info before it's gone. I suppose you can make use of the wiki if it's that important to you to document them.

Any chance it (v1) will remain available in some way for something more than the next few hours?

west-pac

I will never understand why anyone would think this is an improvement (v2), over this (v1). There is CLEARLY more information available to the eye in v1, without clicking and scrolling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220515-084343_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220515-084343_Chrome.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220515-084355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220515-084355_Chrome.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 39

west-pac

On this screen on the original version of RR, I can read all of the information for 80+ sites on a P25 system.

On v2 you can't read all of the information for not even ONE site, because you have to scroll to see the frequencies. You can't have the Site # and the frequencies visible at the same time. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220515-085903_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220515-085903_Chrome.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 30

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
It's absolutely ridiculous.
Not trying to kiss butt here, but the reality is that this kind of comment cannot possibly be helpful; it only alienates the person you're trying to convince. I'm fairly sure that everyone is trying to do a good job here, so how about we give some respect for that and put down the flamethrower?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
And, we're live and in production. I'm putting redirects in place for most of the older RRDB components and everything now lives at /db

This is the first rewrite we've done in probably 10 years? So, it was sorely needed, and a lot of the new features like all the filters and sorts etc should make things really nice. I'm pretty excited.

There are a few things left on our plate.... we'll get things firmed up as the complaints and *****ing and whining flows in.

I'll probably get an announcement posted later today.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. More to follow.

PS: west-pac, I hear you. But I'm confident we're on the right track, and while I realize you'd like to see a huge trunked system fit into one page the size of a thimble, I'm still confident we're on the right track. Remember, you can always become a premium subscriber and download CSVs and format the data to your own liking.

roguexile

like anything new its gonna take getting used to. so far its looking pretty promising. something i've noticed is in Washington, the state wide pages, like WA Mutual Aid for instance, you can't access the "hidden" repeater inputs, its that way for all the "State Entity" groups for at least washington.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
... while I realize you'd like to see a huge trunked system fit into one page the size of a thimble, I'm still confident we're on the right track. Remember, you can always become a premium subscriber and download CSVs and format the data to your own liking.

Wait, you aren't going to make a custom database page view for each and every RR user? :ROFLMAO:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
On this screen on the original version of RR, I can read all of the information for 80+ sites on a P25 system.

On v2 you can't read all of the information for not even ONE site, because you have to scroll to see the frequencies. You can't have the Site # and the frequencies visible at the same time. It's absolutely ridiculous.

It might fit on one phone screen but, no, it isn’t readable by the majority of people without zooming in (Likely not by you either)…then you’re scrolling. Same difference.

west-pac

It might fit on one phone screen but, no, it isn’t readable by the majority of people without zooming in (Likely not by you either)…then you’re scrolling. Same difference.
I -can- read it, I can also search by freq or county and see how many are highlighted. I can also see how many VCs each site has. There is a ton more information visible.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
like anything new its gonna take getting used to. so far its looking pretty promising. something i've noticed is in Washington, the state wide pages, like WA Mutual Aid for instance, you can't access the "hidden" repeater inputs, its that way for all the "State Entity" groups for at least washington.
Yes, agencies currently are missing the ability to show input frequencies. This is an extremely rarely used edge case, but I'll be getting it fixed shortly.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I -can- read it, I can also search by freq or county and see how many are highlighted. I can also see how many VCs each site has. There is a ton more information visible.
well, like 99% of people can't use that in the use case you present to us, so I'd recommend you download the CSVs and build your custom tables. If you want to build a single page with 422 sites visible in 300px width and height, so you can see all the voice channels and highlighted searches and frequencies that start with an 852. you can do it!

Good lord. 🤷‍♂️

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm going to close this beta thread and start a new RRDB v2.0 Announcement and Feedback thread.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the beta. Now we can move on to getting further fine tuned feedback and enhacements requests for the production release of 2.0. Stay tuned for the RRDB v2.0 Q& A and Feedback thread that I'll start shortly.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.