Favorites for Disasters and Forest fires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW55

Forest fire
Since this link was posted in the Michigan section, too far away for me to listen to, but did get me thinking.
I need to have a Disaster Favorites for my area of Michigan.
I am just not too sure what to add into it. Should each agency be in its own list or one big list? I am talking more the federal agencies and other private agencies that would normally join in.
I have an SDS200 and a couple HP1's so not enough channels/memory is not an issue.

ecps92

YMMV for making unique lists, but I always have the NIFOG channels as well as my regional Interops which are used daily in my regular scan lists.
You never know what you will find/hear, this is in addition to a healthy entire VHF/UHF Federal band search of 137-144, 148-150.7, 162-174
and 406-420 (No 380-400) close enough for me at this time

Forest fire
Since this link was posted in the Michigan section, too far away for me to listen to, but did get me thinking.
I am just not too sure what to add into it. Should each agency be in its own list or one big list? I am talking more the federal agencies and other private agencies that would normally join in.
I have an SDS200 and a couple HP1's so not enough channels/memory is not an issue.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
For tornadoes and other severe weather I like listening to the Skywarn frequencies. In southeast Michigan, Sanilac County is considered part of southeast Michigan, each county has a net on the 2 meter ham band during severe weather. If the weather is bad enough or the severe weather lasts long enough then MICON will have a ham station operating in the National Weather Service office in White Lake Township in Oakland County. Each county will have a key station that is a liaison between whichever county there are key station for and MICON. I usually listen to MICON on one of the DMR ham repeaters in Detroit. The MICON station operates on the 440 MHz ham band.

BobW55

For tornadoes and other severe weather I like listening to the Skywarn frequencies. In southeast Michigan, Sanilac County is considered part of southeast Michigan, each county has a net on the 2 meter ham band during severe weather. If the weather is bad enough or the severe weather lasts long enough then MICON will have a ham station operating in the National Weather Service office in White Lake Township in Oakland County. Each county will have a key station that is a liaison between whichever county there are key station for and MICON. I usually listen to MICON on one of the DMR ham repeaters in Detroit. The MICON station operates on the 440 MHz ham band.
Yes I am a Skywarn Member. Need to put my 440 Beam back up so I can hit the Micon repeater in Whitelake.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Forest fire
I have a Skywarn list that can be enabled when we have severe weather in, or approaching, my area. I also have a Wildfires list, with frequencies used for dealing with them.

Regional Interop frequencies ( and/or talkgroups on some of the trunked systems) are also programmed. We have not had (lately) an area wide emergency that would require response and coordination between multiple agencies. But the Interop talkgroups on several systems are periodically very active. TX DPS 101 (the helicopter assigned to Region I, which includes the Dallas/Fort Worth area) is based at Mesquite's airport, and often works with some of the larger suburban departments on pursuits or vehicle/ subject searches. As several of these departments are fully encrypted, they communicate with DPS 101 on interop TGIDs.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Yes I am a Skywarn Member. Need to put my 440 Beam back up so I can hit the Micon repeater in Whitelake.

If you have DMR capabilities there are 2 repeaters closer to you that carry MICON, one in Mayville and one in Burnside.

Status
Not open for further replies.