adding 2nd RTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCJ2

Premium Subscriber
can anyone please help me I have 2 RTL-SDR Blog V3 I had 1 one on 2 computers using SDRTrunk v0.5.0-alpha6 1 computer died was told it would work better using 2 of the dongles was wondering what I would need to do to use the 2 dongles on 1 computer I am a newbie to SDR and enjoying it thanks in advance

BCJ2

Premium Subscriber
Do i need to set the frequiencies when i pluged the other one it they both have the same frequiency?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 38

BCJ2

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if picture above is correct?

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Do i need to set the frequiencies when i pluged the other one it they both have the same frequiency?
That part really honestly doesn't matter, it just allows you to tune the dongle when its not currently locked onto a CC or a VC. I think its just used so you can view a part of the spectrum. Your playlist will dictate what frequencies get tuned, and the CC decoding will in turn continue to tune your dongles to optimize as best as it can the use of the bandwidth that's available to it.

I do seem to recall that SDRTrunk, if you are using more than one RTL dongle, they need different Serial Numbers, but I can't verify that. At the very least, it does allow one to distinguish which one is which.

Additional reading on the matter:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Also, another thing I've realized from your screenshot, it looks like the dongles, or atleast one of them, is configured to use 0.230 Mhz, which really isn't an effecient use of that dongle, especially if you have other potential voice channels, or control channels to tune within 2 Mhz or so of the control channel you want to tune. You are limiting it to a very small bandwidth, so unless you have an underpowered PC or something, I would consider setting those dongles to 2.048 Mhz, you will probably have to stop your playlist first, go over there, and change that setting, and then restart the playlist.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I do seem to recall that SDRTrunk, if you are using more than one RTL dongle, they need different Serial Numbers, but I can't verify that. At the very least, it does allow one to distinguish which one is which.
Yes, exactly. @BCJ2: use rtl_eeprom to set one of them to a different serial number as described in the post linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.