ID scan/ID search ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Since you can't switch to ID search using the database, then can only be used in the custom search. Is this correct? Am reading the easy to read SDS200 for this information.

MStep

Since you can't switch to ID search using the database, then can only be used in the custom search. Is this correct? Am reading the easy to read SDS200 for this information.

That is true. You can't turn on ID SEARCH mode for the entire database, as baker50021 points out. At a basic level, that could defeat the entire purpose of Uniden keeping an updated database.

But I have made several favorites lists which follow sequentially in my scanner. For example, I have NYPD-1, which is the favorites list which utilizes the ID SCAN function. Then I have a duplicate list which follows called NYPD-2, which scans the same systems, but in ID SEARCH mode instead. I can run them sequentially, where one follows the other in my scan sequence, or just have one of the two in operation.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For example, I have NYPD-1, which is the favorites list which utilizes the ID SCAN function. Then I have a duplicate list which follows called NYPD-2, which scans the same systems, but in ID SEARCH mode instead. I can run them sequentially, where one follows the other in my scan sequence, or just have one of the two in operation.

This is another example of why one needs to sit down with the scanner and programming software before playing with all the bells and whistles. I have a similar set up, so this is a good way to program.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Toggle ID Scan or ID Search
While scanning each Trunked System, press Func then E/yes.
Note:
ID Search is not available with the Database.

Ubbe

That is true. You can't turn on ID SEARCH mode for the entire database, as baker50021 points out. At a basic level, that could defeat the entire purpose of Uniden keeping an updated database.
I can't see any problem with having ID search in the database scan. You would still see every known TG's info but if an unknown TG turned up you would see the TG number and the user ID who used it. You could then turn on recording, it would store everything from the buffer up the previous 240 sec, and you could then easily analyze it and report it to RR. Now you have to append that system from the database to a favorite list and then have to deal with updates from the DB that never updates any favorite lists and instead have to be done manually to a favorite list.

To me it seems that if DB id search where allowed it would increase the number of reports to RR for DB updates, as people would immediately be aware of new TG's, if they wanted to know that or wanted to listen to those unknown TG's that could be used just once in blue moon at some special events. If a department are avoided it will also avoid those TG's from the id search process.

/Ubbe

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The way I see it, only in custom scan between frequencies will you find frequencies not in the database. Otherwise, we are just scanning what we already installed from sentinal or proscan. Am I wrong on this?

MStep

The way I see it, only in custom scan between frequencies will you find frequencies not in the database. Otherwise, we are just scanning what we already installed from sentinal or proscan. Am I wrong on this?

Not sure if you are oversimplifying or overcomplicating. I use ID SEARCH to find talkgoups in a trunked system that are not listed in the RR databases. I use ID SCAN when I just want to monitor those talkgroups that have already been identified in the database.

When you mention scanning between frequencies, I don't think it becomes applicable.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Reading over discovery mode, if i am reading this correctly, it will only log new hits not in the database. Is this correct? If it is, I don't think custom search will do this.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Reading over discovery mode, if i am reading this correctly, it will only log new hits not in the database. Is this correct? If it is, I don't think custom search will do this.

Correct. Discovery will log/record hits in a certain range. Think of it like a program, you set it up and it runs. Custom search is more like a live "look in".

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Found out you can't adjust squelch and can't do avoid.

You can in custom search. If it's new frequencies specific to your location you are looking for; FCC licenses by county is a good place to go. MOST of the time they will be licensed. Personally it would be easier to search the FCC licenses, gather the frequencies, then scan only those frequencies. But that is just me and I don't have alot of conventional radio use locally.

So that's three different ways to find frequencies. Experiment!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Discovery mode is supposed to compare to current DB and log only new frequencies. This takes out a step of searching online compared to custom search and looking up allot of logged frequencies. Going to keep with this for now. Thanks.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Guess I’m looking more toward frequencies not recorded in the database vs new talk groups on an active frequency.

Freqs and talk groups are not the same thing.

For finding new tg's not in database, just add the system to a favorite list and scan it that way. Set id search to ON, as that's the only way to use id search. (cant id search using full database). Set all non interest tg's to Avoid. Let it run and review your ProScan recordings and logs.

Reading over discovery mode, if i am reading this correctly, it will only log new hits not in the database. Is this correct?

I believe if Compare to db is set to on, it will only log new. Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual

But if your using proscan, it logs what ever it sees so if you lock out everything your not interested in (in a favorite list), it will log what you are interested in, as well as anything not in the favorites list ie: new talk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.