Flying with a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prowisscan

Greetings, I apologize in advance if this question has been posted before. I will be flying within the states and want to bring a handheld scanner with charger. Is there anything I should know or be repaired for? Is there any advantage to packing it in a carry-on or pack it inside of check-in luggage. Will there be any issues with TSA or local airport authority? Thanks,

Last edited:

a417

Flew with a carry on bag which had overnight stuff and entire moto dash mount radio setup w/ 40 feet of antenna feed line, power cabling, a 1/4 wave and a mic. This was only several years after 9/11...no one cared.

Hit_Factor

Greetings, I apologize in advance if this question has been posted before. I will be flying within the states and want to bring a handheld scanner with charger. Is there anything I should know or be repaired for? Is there any advantage to packing it in a carry-on or pack it inside of check-in luggage. Will there be any issues with TSA or local airport authority? Thanks,
It's just a radio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have flown dozens of times domestically and a little internationally carrying scanners and HT's and never had a single issue. The only problem I ever had was a TSA employee who insisted on x-raying my camera lenses. What? Never mind.

That said, I do have a trusted traveler/Global Entry Card so I bypass the regular TSA lines and customs on international travel. Well worth the cost. Shorter lines. Don't have to take off your shoes, belt etc.

As has been said above, do not operate a radio on the plane under any circumstances. This is an FAA regulation and not the TSA. Besides you're in a giant airborne Faraday cage. You won't hear much anyway. Read a book, watch a movie or listen to music.

By the way, you must not pack lithium ion batteries in checked baggage for fire concerns. They must be in your carry on. Don't put anything of value in checked bags anyway.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Amateurs fly interstate all the time with various radios and antennas. It goes into the X-ray scanner and then gets stowed. Scanners are no different.

Buy a Pelican case or something similar to transport and ship it in, so it doesn't end up as so much electronic junque at your destination.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
I carry a scanner with me to work at the airport on a regular basis (going through security in and out of uniform) it has never been an issue. Go for it!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I brought one on a plane a few years ago. No one said anything. But I don't know if anything has changed since then.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Have carried SDS100 in my backpack, never had any issues thru security. Every airline I have flown on the safety pamphlet states not to use them on the aircraft.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
After 9/11 things were tight. On a flight just a couple months ago, my SDS 100 was stowed on my carry on with the antenna off and in the case. The TSA agent asked if he could go through my bag. I said, “sure no problem!” He said the top of the scanner where The antenna screws into looked “suspicious” or possibly like a sharp object. After he went through everything and he said it was fine, we had a good chuckle and I was on my way!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Simply because of the value, I always bring in my carry-on. I usually remove the batteries from the radio so it can't be "accidentally" turned on. Of course you have to be careful of how you pack the battery/batteries.

ecps92

You may get a Rookie [Virgin - not the airline] TSA agent who has no clue, from time-to-time, but it is rare and generally will have no problem

N4KVE

Just flew to Canada, & back last week. Had 3 DMR radios, extra batteries, & a charger in my carry on bag. No problem going up, but coming back at the TSA X-Ray machine in Canada, they wanted to know why I had a 5.56 round in my bag. Had no idea how it got in there, but they kept it, & I continued on my trip. So no problem with radio equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.