mobile radio recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

policypeddler

I have a new UTV or SXS (side x side). Exact model is a Can-Am Maverick X3.

I want to purchase a radio to use in it. I ride both in the west and in West Virginia and Tennessee.
In the west they use mainly rugged radio or pci type radios UHF (?). In tn & wv TYT VHF radios.

Ideally I would like a radio that will use and scan both frequencies.
Necessary equipment for head set or into a helmet.
Will do intercom to passenger
Music from my cell phone
Possibly voice to go pro 10 someday.

Can I have recommendations on;
Anything I might have forgotten?
Radio and equipment recommendations, while still keeping cost manageable?

Thank you

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Do you and the people you want to talk to have amateur radio licenses?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Do you and the people you want to talk to have amateur radio licenses?
Or GMRS/MURS? The OP did question UHF. It's possible they are using FRS portables in the UHF situation, in which case a mobile would be outside of Part 95 spec.

Or maybe they have actual licensed Part 90 VHF/UHF frequencies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You asked this question in an amateur radio forum. In the amateur radio service in the U.S., all users must have an amateur radio license. However, based on the details of your question, I'm not sure that an amateur radio is what you want.

All two-way radio services in the U.S. require a license. Some services, such as FRS and MURS, operate under the concept of "license by rule" where anyone is licensed provided the radios they use meet FCC rules and other operating rules are followed.

If you want to communicate with other people, then you need to find what radio service they are operating in and find a radio that meets the rules for that service.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You're asking an awful lot for a radio..

Best bet would be to pick up a Bluetooth device similar to those in the links below. They fit on helmets and provide earphones/speakers and microphones. You can pair them with most Bluetooth devices and you can also use them to communicate with other riders that are similarly equipped.

There are VHF/UHF Bluetooth radios that you should be able to pair.. Some of the Chinese models have the capability, but I can't think of any offhand.

I have a Cardo Freecom 4+ that I use with my motorcycle. I use it mostly to stream music from my phone. I also have a Kenwood TH-D74 hand held that is Bluetooth capable. I've never tried to pair them, but it is something I might try some day :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You're asking an awful lot for a radio..

Sort of. The racing/UTV community has products that do exactly this using wired headsets and intercom systems. The intercom systems have interfaces for two way radios as well as a 1/8" trs jack for MP3 players.

The only real challenge here is the licensing and making sure that a properly type accepted radio is used. That's usually where things go astray. The companies that cater to the racing/UTV customers often are selling cheap Chinese radios with no care in the world about FCC rules. Some of these dealers have been smacked down by the FCC in the past, but that doesn't see to have stopped the practice of selling these radios.

So, pretty much comes down to what license the OP holds, and making sure they get a radio that meets all the requirements. Intercom/music part is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.