Frequency counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Saw one for sale on RR a while back. Did a little research. How good are these? Do they record all modes? Did find one that records DMR. Currently trying to use my 436 with close call but not working out very well. Just looking for something that works a bit easier. Thanks.

looking at this one

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Frequency counters like those are good if you are close, close meaning within 6 feet or less (usually much less). They are great if you have a radio in your possession and want to check it.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So these won’t work say sitting in a parking lot next to a fairly large antenna on a building?

Sure they will, if you are literally sitting next to the antenna beams transmitting, but not in a parking lot where the antenna is high above.

If you really want to try one out see if you can find one on Amazon and order from them, that way you have a 30 day return if it doesn't work.

a417

Sure they will, if you are literally sitting next to the antenna beams transmitting, but not in a parking lot where the antenna is high above.

You aren't going to have a lot of selectivity, that's for sure. You're going to get any strong signal it decides to pick up

nd5y

A frequency counter won't work on DMR or other TDMA or short duration signals unless the counter's gate time is less than the length of the times slots or transmissions you are trying to measure.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
A frequency counter won't work on DMR or other TDMA or short duration signals unless the counter's gate time is less than the length of the times slots or transmissions you are trying to measure.

Question on this, there are a few advertised on Amazon as being DMR compatible are you saying those typically don't work (yes, I know how CCR ads go, but just asking here).

a417

Question on this, there are a few advertised on Amazon as being DMR compatible are you saying those typically don't work (yes, I know how CCR ads go, but just asking here).
I wouldn't trust any radio specific information found on amazon for budget stuff. It's all designed to get the salez. @nd5y is right, if the transmission is too short...the counter could miss it.

I would look at the documentation supporting the hardware, not what the sales guys wrote.

tumegpc

I have found that using my Pro-668 Spectrum Sweeper with the WS-1080 upgrade has been the best tool for finding frequencies.
I use a 2-inch stubby antenna and it will capture and record, P25, DMR, FM, and airband.

Uniden has the Close Call feature which pales in comparison to Spectrum Sweeper unless you are wanting FM broadcast.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have found that using my Pro-668 Spectrum Sweeper with the WS-1080 upgrade has been the best tool for finding frequencies.
I use a 2-inch stubby antenna and it will capture and record, P25, DMR, FM, and airband.

Uniden has the Close Call feature which pales in comparison to Spectrum Sweeper unless you are wanting FM broadcast.

That's been my experience as well with my ws-1080 and TRX-1 both

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Think I will order the one I posted above to give it a try. Not that expensive. RaleighGuy had a good idea. Try it for 30 days and return it if it doesn't work out.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

I have an SF401 Plus and it works OK on digital modes.. I would ignore anti-eBay and anti-Amazon responses unless you want some to very accurately measure the frequency and are willing to pay for such. It is more useful for finding the frequency but not good enough for measuring accurately if it is off frequency. Note I would also make sure I have a block for the FM broadcast band and I think you will find the distance it will work is likely to not be as far as you wish. I find a laptop and SDR is the better way to go.

wtp

The frequency meter capable of measuring the parameters of the frequency of the continuous carrier signal walkie-talkies ,

DMR input frequencies are NOT continuous.
you would have to find the repeater.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I use the Close Call on my Uniden 436 and SDS100 at places like racetracks, hotels, retail, transportation, security, etc... and get very good results with them. I get DMR, GMRS, NXDN, Analog among other types of communication information using this setup. As always, YMMV according to signal strength and distance. I've bought the cheaper frequency counters and spectrum analyzers before and got very poor performance. Never tried an expensive one.

RFI-EMI-GUY

At what cost and do they record digital modes like DMR?

There are no swiss army knife solutions. If you drive by a random tower and want to see what transmitters are radiating from there, a frequency counter is not going to be meaningful or reliable. A spectrum analyser will show you what carriers are present and the relative strength.

But if you want to decode DMR with an instrument that has a spectrum analyzer you will need a system analyser (aka service monitor) with DMR option. Some of the higher end communications receivers might work.

Or you could use a cheap RTL SDR dongle and SDR software and accomplish similar results, albeit with potential to chase ghost signals that are not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.