• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 6500 audio issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennedy-r

Feed Provider
Ok here's an odd one I can't figure out thus far. I have a truck with 2 apx 6500 uhf mobiles. The radios both randomly stop playing audio over the external speakers but the radio still can transmit and receive through the handset speaker. Also audio still comes through the control head speakers. The speakers in question are wired to the rear connector. Its BOTH radios at the same time doing this both on non amplified moto speakers (2 sets on each radio) from the rear connector. When the radio is power cycled it all comes back like nothing ever happened. connections all seem solid and correct and nothing between the radios is common not even power at this point,

Tech21

Not really an odd one, the problem is self-induced...

Are these dash mount radios or remote mount radios?

If you disconnect the speakers, does the problem occur?

Since you say you are feeding two external speakers from each radio, that means somebody cut wires and spliced the second speaker in. I would start there. The standard Motorola accessory plug is only designed to support one external 3.2 Ohm speaker.

Last edited:

kennedy-r

Feed Provider
They are remote mounted and I’m going to try that next and just use the 02 head speakers and see what happens. We have always had two off the rear connector across the whole fleet with no issues. But it’s a place to start for sure and an easy thing to test.

Tech21

Is one speaker connected to the control head and one speaker connected the remote mount or did somebody splice the second speaker in?

kennedy-r

Feed Provider
Just took a closer look and two radios two remote heads. Two speakers connected to each control head. I’m going to clip on speaker from each to see if that makes a change

Tech21

It should, you can also plug in one speaker at the control head and one speaker at the transceiver accessory plug. It's just not a good idea to splice in extra speakers because now, you are just introducing an avoidable failure point. You simply may just have a bad splice or somebody got the positive and negative wires flipped. Normally won't cause an issue but sometimes it does.

When you splice in a speaker, you have to be sure that positive goes to positive and negative goes to negative and that the wires don't get crossed. The good thing about remote mounts is you can run two speakers without having to splice anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.