Scanner recommendations.

Katahgii

Feed Provider
So I’m new to police scanning. I listen to the local scanner on my phone but because the multi minute delay and just wanting an actual scanner is pushing me to get a scanner I just don’t know what to get. Idk how to tell from the database if I need a trunk scanner or not I know I need digital but hopefully not a trunk scanner. If anyone knows what type of scanner I need for LaPorte county IN that would be great and any scanner recommendations would be awesome as well.

Reconrider

So I’m new to police scanning. I listen to the local scanner on my phone but because the multi minute delay and just wanting an actual scanner is pushing me to get a scanner I just don’t know what to get. Idk how to tell from the database if I need a trunk scanner or not I know I need digital but hopefully not a trunk scanner. If anyone knows what type of scanner I need for LaPorte county IN that would be great and any scanner recommendations would be awesome as well.
The first question that should have been asked is, are you trying to take this device to listen to the pd/fire/ems out of the house to listen as you go?
If yes, then you 100% need a handheld/portable scanner.
If no, then you can buy a cheap SDR for about 40$ and use free programs or a cheap program to listen to the system.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
My .002 cents. The Unication G5 pager is the “gold star” as far as receiving a simulcast system. While it is not a scanner, it is a great radio. I have the SDS 100 and the pager is a better receiver to my ears!

scannersnstuff

My .002 cents. The Unication G5 pager is the “gold star” as far as receiving a simulcast system. While it is not a scanner, it is a great radio. I have the SDS 100 and the pager is a better receiver to my ears!
But the op's question was "scanner recommendations". Insert smiley emoji here.

Katahgii

Feed Provider
Ok I know it’s almost a year since I asked but what is the difference between a pager and a scanner?

scannersnstuff

The scanner is an all around purpose receiver. The pager,on the other hand is limited to a few band's. The feature's, IE "banks" are not as easily customizable. From a few reliable source's, the Unication actually does simulcast better than the sds100. If I had my choice of only one <actually have my choice of none> I would take the sds100. There is a steep learning curve to the scanner,and the cost of both is astronomical. The Unication also act's like a fire dept.pager. I am not sure if it will do both alerting and scanning at the same time. And yes, while the sds100 can be used as a single channel pager, it is not purpose built for that.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Comparison of Unication Gx pager to a Digital Scanner:

Similarities
  • Excellent P25 Simulcast reception
  • Two-tone paging
  • Color display
  • Compact size/weight
  • Battery lasts a long time
  • Harsh environment design
Differences
  • No "on the fly" programming
  • Can only monitor a single control channel at a time (no multi-site or multiple system scanning)
  • Cannot mix scanning of P25 control channel and conventional frequencies.
  • G4 is only 700/800
  • G5 adds a band but you have to choose which one (VHF, 380, 400, 450) conventional analog or P25 and/or P25 Phase 1&2 Trunking. DMR Conventional is a $25 mail-in upgrade.
  • Doesn't support Motorola Smartnet/SmartZone Analog, EDACS, LTR, NXDN, DMR Trunking
  • Programming software (PPS) design isn't intuitive