Hannibal, Mo on MOSWIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Hannibal, Mo went digital to MOSWIN. Has anyone heard them and know what tower they are using? I'm not hearing anything on the one listed as Hannibal tower unless I can't hear that tower in Quincy but I do hear other nearby towers.

VASCAR2

Hannibal/Marion County would likely be transmitted on the Palmyra 700 MHz site as well as the Hannibal VHF site. It appears Marion County may dispatch for Lewis County and Canton. You might hear Marion County MOSWIN traffic on the Canton 700 MHz site. The only other site you might receive Marion/Hannibal traffic, depending on your location, is the Knox City VHF site. The Knox City site is approximately 35 miles from Quincy. As with all radio signal reception, location and antenna make a big difference. Looking at the sites/towers on google maps it appears MOSWIN uses omni directional antennae and probably has a decent signal strength into Illinois.

I can’t specifically say how MOSWIN trunked system is configured but with some trunked systems certain talk groups are transmitted on certain sites regardless if no mobile is affiliated with the site. It is possible Marion County Missouri TG could be transmitted on MOSWIN sites located in Lewis or Knox County Missouri.

If you look in the RR MOSWIN database in the Wiki section there is a zip file for google earth with the MOSWIN tower locations Mapped in google earth. If you click on the site name like Palmyra in the RR MOSWIN data base you can get the gps coordinates to locate the specific site/tower location.

KA0KDW

The MoSWIN system requires affiliation. the state DPS doesn’t allow talk groups to be static (full-time) on the system. So no affiliation=no traffic.

VASCAR2

Thanks for the info, that does limit the possibilities for receiving Hannibal or Marion County on adjoining MOSWIN sites. I assumed the 700 MHz Palmyra site would carry the same TG traffic as the Hannibal VHF site but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I live to far from Missouri to monitor MOSWIN.

KA0KDW

They’d likely carry the same traffic assuming there’s an affliction and assuming the user has a dual band radio. Many agencies for some reason (outside of cost) are still buying VHF only radio for MoSWIN.

At least for this wanting to go to MoSWIN. The area of Missouri I’m in public safety is a lot of DMR and NXDN.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Hannibal/Marion County would likely be transmitted on the Palmyra 700 MHz site as well as the Hannibal VHF site. It appears Marion County may dispatch for Lewis County and Canton. You might hear Marion County MOSWIN traffic on the Canton 700 MHz site. The only other site you might receive Marion/Hannibal traffic, depending on your location, is the Knox City VHF site. The Knox City site is approximately 35 miles from Quincy. As with all radio signal reception, location and antenna make a big difference. Looking at the sites/towers on google maps it appears MOSWIN uses omni directional antennae and probably has a decent signal strength into Illinois.

I can’t specifically say how MOSWIN trunked system is configured but with some trunked systems certain talk groups are transmitted on certain sites regardless if no mobile is affiliated with the site. It is possible Marion County Missouri TG could be transmitted on MOSWIN sites located in Lewis or Knox County Missouri.

If you look in the RR MOSWIN database in the Wiki section there is a zip file for google earth with the MOSWIN tower locations Mapped in google earth. If you click on the site name like Palmyra in the RR MOSWIN data base you can get the gps coordinates to locate the specific site/tower location.

I found Hannibal PD on Hannibal tower TGID 28618 also hearing Pike CO and Ralls on the same tower. Only thing is can hear the tower in Hannibal, Mo at night on my SDS-200 with a ST-2 up 30ft on my tower. Not hearing Hannibal on my other scanners at all. Now for Knox it's full scale all the time comes in loud and clear. Must be something in the line of sight between the Hannibal tower and my tower.

VASCAR2

I’m curious if your receiving any traffic on the Palmyra 700 MHz site. I assumed MOSWIN was adding 700 MHz sites because of lack of available VHF Hi Frequencies. In rural areas with high power VHF transmitters you generally can cover a larger geographical area. The Hannibal tower on MOSWIN is listed at 200 watts of transmitter power. I felt the 700-800 MHz frequencies worked better in metro areas with shorter distances. I read where Wisconsin WISCOM is migrating from VHF Hi to 700-800 MHz because of available frequencies. Having a smaller foot print with 700-800 MHz requires more tower/sites but makes it easier to reuse frequencies at other sites.

The Radio Reference database does not list the power output for MOSWIN 700 MHz sites but STARCOM sites are 100 watt. Indiana Safe-T trunk 700-800 sites are licensed for 250 watts and get very good coverage. Checking the database shows WISCOM Madison 800 site is 300 watts which has very good coverage.

jayres

Premium Subscriber
The MoSWIN system requires affiliation. the state DPS doesn’t allow talk groups to be static (full-time) on the system. So no affiliation=no traffic.

Not exactly true... There are some TG's that are listed can (and have been) setup in the Zone Controllers as "Critical Resources" which means that talkgroup will pass to designated tower sites; even if no radio is affiliated with that particular site. This is not done regularly; but there are certain circumstances where it is done.

KA0KDW

Not exactly true... There are some TG's that are listed can (and have been) setup in the Zone Controllers as "Critical Resources" which means that talkgroup will pass to designated tower sites; even if no radio is affiliated with that particular site. This is not done regularly; but there are certain circumstances where it is done.
I know it can be down. Under a common situation it is typically not done. Info direct from techs and system admins. They try to avoid sending traffic to sites if there is no affiliations.

Truly evident on a site near me (Buffalo). I had to block it from the scanner because it rarely has any afflictions. Even one of techs said the site seems pointless because it doesn’t fill in a gap.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I’m curious if your receiving any traffic on the Palmyra 700 MHz site. I assumed MOSWIN was adding 700 MHz sites because of lack of available VHF Hi Frequencies. In rural areas with high power VHF transmitters you generally can cover a larger geographical area. The Hannibal tower on MOSWIN is listed at 200 watts of transmitter power. I felt the 700-800 MHz frequencies worked better in metro areas with shorter distances. I read where Wisconsin WISCOM is migrating from VHF Hi to 700-800 MHz because of available frequencies. Having a smaller foot print with 700-800 MHz requires more tower/sites but makes it easier to reuse frequencies at other sites.

The Radio Reference database does not list the power output for MOSWIN 700 MHz sites but STARCOM sites are 100 watt. Indiana Safe-T trunk 700-800 sites are licensed for 250 watts and get very good coverage. Checking the database shows WISCOM Madison 800 site is 300 watts which has very good coverage.

I have not heard anything on Palmyra tower. I been waiting to get some free time and going to take a run over there and see if I hear anything. I have a scanner in the truck and I also want to check out canton. Knox and Medill come in strong!

jayres

Premium Subscriber
I am just west of Rolla and have monitored their sites with one scanner on the vhf tower and the other on the 700 tower and they seem to carry the same traffic *that I can tell*... If your 996P2 was bought new recently (sometime after the first of the year) it possibly has the new hardware that has several of us have discovered has a glitch that will not decode somewhere around 169mhz and up on vhf. But you should be able to monitor them on the 700mhz site ok. Hopefully a firmware update will correct the problem soon. They do still use their legacy analog frequencies for EMS and to some extent fire also. All law enforcement agencies are MOSWIN though.
I know it can be down. Under a common situation it is typically not done. Info direct from techs and system admins. They try to avoid sending traffic to sites if there is no affiliations.

Truly evident on a site near me (Buffalo). I had to block it from the scanner because it rarely has any afflictions. Even one of techs said the site seems pointless because it doesn’t fill in a gap.

You're going to start hearing more traffic on Buffalo in the next couple of weeks; have some agencies lighting up stuff that will be using that site.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have driven by/through the Palmyra site a few times in the past and I have heard traffic on it. Not sure who it was because I was just driving by. I did hear a lot on the Knox site. It seemed busy.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Last few Days I been picking up Site 98 TGID 28618 Hannibal PD So is site 98 Memphis or a trailor?

Status
Not open for further replies.