CLMRN Ct. State Police question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday, the East Farms FD responded to a car fire on I-84, eastbound, east of Exit 37 in Farmington. According to FD dispatch, the call came from the state police. A second call from the state police reported it was fully involved. Years ago I was told there was only one trooper routinely assigned to the stretch of I-84 between Waterbury and Hartford, dispatched from the Hartford barracks. I’m still working under that assumption. My question is why I didn’t hear anything on CLMRN from the state police regarding the car fire. Do I have the correct TG(s) active? I believe so but I am looking for confirmation on this. Could someone please post what settings they use for this stretch of I-84? My guess is that passerbys reported the car fire to the state police who in turn relayed the info to Farmington fire dispatch, and no state police presence occurred. And if my assumption that only one trooper patrols that stretch between Waterbury and Hartford is correct, it’s understandable that I don’t hear any CLMRN activity… the state police could very well be busy elsewhere. But the Southington FD spends a lot of time responding to I-84 and I haven’t heard CLMRN either.

Cheeseburgers

What site(s) are you listening to?

I work in Southington and I have a Pro96 listening to SPD, FD and my Unication listening to CLMRN.. H Simulcast. I've heard instances where Southington provides aid / assistance and you hear H Troopers mention it. Or they'll say that something came in on Hotline.

Direct communication doesn't seem to happen on air... with other Departments already on CLMRN I've seen TGs patched in for mutual aid but obviously Southington is its own P25 system.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I have both New Britain Simulcast and Troop H Simulcast I’m using for sites. Can you list the TGs you use? I use CSP Traffic 1, 2, 3, the Statewide Common 1, 2, 3, Troop H Dispatch and Troop H/BDL Dispatch 1, 2. (I program using the auto download into Sentenel or Butel ARC, and then into my SDS200 scanner. So, there’s no programming errors.)

You write “Direct communications doesn’t seem to happen on air… with other departments already on CLMRN”, I don’t believe this applies to Farmington or Southington FDs which are both conventional analogue, or am I miss-reading your meaning?

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
911 call probably went to the troop, who called farmington either on the phone or over the console. One would think a trooper would have been dispatched around the same time though.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I heard it go over troop h. I don’t know what time it was since I was working but I did hear it referenced
Thank you for that piece of info. Now I know there were comms relating to the incident. Further, I would expect my DND priority may have played a part in my not catching the transmissions between the trooper and dispatch… which causes me to rethink my inquiry. Meaning BEFORE I posted, I first should have dedicated another scanner to Troop H Dispatch. That way I could have proven or disproven my questioning if I have the correct sites and TGs programmed. Sorry for the bother.

Reconrider

Thank you for that piece of info. Now I know there were comms relating to the incident. Further, I would expect my DND priority may have played a part in my not catching the transmissions between the trooper and dispatch… which causes me to rethink my inquiry. Meaning BEFORE I posted, I first should have dedicated another scanner to Troop H Dispatch. That way I could have proven or disproven my questioning if I have the correct sites and TGs programmed. Sorry for the bother.
Ahh got ya. I have a few other things scanning besides troop H Like local towns and other Clmrn groups, I think 12 others. I only picked up a small bit of it. I would have to go back and check. Let me know if you want me to

cg

Premium Subscriber
Call came in, Troop dispatched trooper and Farmington via hotline.
Troop H Dispatcher looked at traffic camera and saw burning car. They have full video, not the still photos w/ 10 second (appx) updates that are on the DOT public site. They updated the Trooper with what they saw on the camera. I believe they updated Farmington at the same time as to exact location and best access.
Trooper arrived and then Farmington soon after.
Troop H is so busy during the day that the patrol areas are covered by others.

If you want to try to tell what you may be missing, go to the Broadcastify Calls for Troop H and listen at the same time as you are scanning.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Ahh got ya. I have a few other things scanning besides troop H Like local towns and other Clmrn groups, I think 12 others. I only picked up a small bit of it. I would have to go back and check. Let me know if you want me to
Thanks but it’s not necessary. Going forward I will “Hold” on CSP and monitor in the background while using my SDS200 to scan. I should hear all. My guess is they notify Farmington via phone when they get someone reporting an accident or fire on I-84. Thanks for the input.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Call came in, Troop dispatched trooper and Farmington via hotline.
Troop H Dispatcher looked at traffic camera and saw burning car. They have full video, not the still photos w/ 10 second (appx) updates that are on the DOT public site. They updated the Trooper with what they saw on the camera. I believe they updated Farmington at the same time as to exact location and best access.
Trooper arrived and then Farmington soon after.
Troop H is so busy during the day that the patrol areas are covered by others.

If you want to try to tell what you may be missing, go to the Broadcastify Calls for Troop H and listen at the same time as you are scanning.
Good idea… although Broadcastify has a heck of a time delay. But for what I’m after, it will work out just fine. Thanks.

cg

Premium Subscriber
45.86 PL for Hartford area is 136.5
TG for Region 3, Hartford Hotline on CLMRN is 5395 but not always active
Region 1 uses 5195 for Fairfield Cty Hotline
Region 2 uses 5295 for New Haven area hotline
Region 4 uses 5495 for Eastern CT hotline (45.86, PL 123.0)

MFCJR

I heard it go over Troop H as well as another call for a possible car fire today around the same area. I often here Troop H respond along I-84 in that area.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Great confirming info MFCJR & cg! Thanks. (I had omitted 45.86 after being told that low-band VHF freq was to be phased out… apparently bad info… it’s been reinstalled.)

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Can you describe the difference between RAFS and the hotline? (Besides the obvious difference of frequencies, I’m asking what the purpose they provide.) When you say RAFS is not a hotline, are you simply discerning the difference of frequencies? Because as far as I can tell, both provide the same service, but on different bands. Is it simply a case of Symantec’s?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
To me, it sounds like RAFS and the hotline frequency serve the same purpose. But I can understand an analogy comparing it to a FD using one tone-out frequency to alert (Hotline) and another frequency for tactical (operational) uses. It’s a weak analogy. You probably have a better one. The Hotline is “VHF Low Band”… a band that doesn’t have the best track record when utilized for non-repeaterized mobile and portable use. The RAFS frequencies are also less susceptible to the band openings that plague the VHF Low Band, raising the noise floor to unacceptable levels which make the VHF Low Band unreliable at times. Hence the reason for the mass migration away from the 30-50 MHz public safety band. (The amateur radio successful experimentation regarding repeaters also helped.)

It seems a logical direction going forward would be to loose the 45.86 MHz hotline frequency altogether and use the RAFS system instead. In fact, I thought I saw something to that effect in some long range planning some years ago? It could have been nothing more than someone’s pipe dream…

Status
Not open for further replies.