Chrome OS or Windows OS and the proper SDR software

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj40

Premium Subscriber
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Im looking to get an RTL-SDR Dongle this weekend and was wondering about a couple of things and if anyone has some opinions, or helpful tips and tricks.
First, im going to be using either Unitrunker or SDRTrunk to scan my local p25 7/800mhz system here in SE Ohio (Ohio MARCS-IP). And yes i know i can do this with the two scanners I already have but im looking to repurpose one for another project and the other stays in my truck for when im out and about :LOL:
Also, in the interest of maybe getting a laptop (dedicated) for all of my programming and scanner stuff, so i can leave my desktop free for other uses, plus if i go out of town, its easier than reprogramming a bunch of stuff into my handheld scanner or trying to lug a desktop computer everywhere o_O with that said, would Window OS be my best option or could i go the lesser expensive, more compact route and get a chromebook with the Chrome OS. Not looking to start a debate or anything, just some knowledge and opinions from people who are a little more experienced than I am.

Happy Scanning and thanks in advance :)
And moderators, please feel free to move this post to the appropriate forum if needed!

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The easy choice is Windows as both apps are supported as well as many other options.

SDRTrunk is a Java application and runs great on multiple platforms. But what about Unitrunker? Is there a Linux version of Unitrunker? I thought it was Windows only.

cj40

Premium Subscriber
The easy choice is Windows as both apps are supported as well as many other options.

SDRTrunk is a Java application and runs great on multiple platforms. But what about Unitrunker? Is there a Linux version of Unitrunker? I thought it was Windows only.

Unitrunker might just be windows only. I was merely thinking chromebook because of the size and easy portability of it but if a windows laptop would work better, then thats what I'll go with. Just trying to weigh my options so i dont end up spending money on something that isn't going to work. I do know, through doing some light reading that the Chrome OS doesn't have java as a default program, but its just a matter of changing a few settings around (from what im reading). If that would work then I think thats the route i'll go. Thanks for the input!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Windows. You can buy a decent refurbished Win10 laptop for a few hundred bucks from Tiger Direct.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a used Dell Latitude I7 7700 for 135 bucks, 8 gigs of memory and a 128 gig M.2 drive. The machine is pristine and has a digital Windows key in the Bios., Works great with DSD Fastlane. If you are only looking for scanner use, Ebay is your friend.

cj40

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a used Dell Latitude I7 7700 for 135 bucks, 8 gigs of memory and a 128 gig M.2 drive. The machine is pristine and has a digital Windows key in the Bios., Works great with DSD Fastlane. If you are only looking for scanner use, Ebay is your friend.

Alright i'll check ebay. Though I prefer to pick it up in person (due to possible damage in shipment) but im not completely against ordering one online. Thanks for the tip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.