Mobile antenna for base use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffighter17

Premium Subscriber
I am wanting to put an outside antenna up, I want very low profile and was thinking about using a mobile antenna with a base mount with ground plane. What are your thoughts? As of right now my area is mainly VHF High P25 I-II, and I am hearing of a 7/800 trunked system coming in the next year or so. I have several scanners I use, SDS100, 996XT, 396XT and a couple others

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I have a similar setup for indoor use:

Laird Connectivity B8065C | 700/800/900 MHz High Gain Antennas (theantennafarm.com)
Laird Connectivity MBC800LBT | Mobile Antenna To Base Convertor Kits | Antenna Farm (theantennafarm.com)

Fed to a triplxer, and then into a LNA. 40' LMR coax to a tv splitter for scanners and various SDR dongles. Have yet to order FM filter which will be placed between the triplexer and LNA

For VHF, I use 2 Meter Slim Jim Antenna - KB9VBR Antennas (jpole-antenna.com), also fed to the triplexer.

For simplicity, you might want to consider a tribander antenna. Somebody else will have to recommend a decent one.
If you go with an 800 Mhz single bander, it will not perform well on VHF, hence my own multiple antenna setup.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I am wanting to put an outside antenna up, I want very low profile and was thinking about using a mobile antenna with a base mount with ground plane. What are your thoughts? As of right now my area is mainly VHF High P25 I-II, and I am hearing of a 7/800 trunked system coming in the next year or so. I have several scanners I use, SDS100, 996XT, 396XT and a couple others

Highly recommended. Works great for me on 700/800, UHF, VHF high, and even some VHF low band. LMR400UF and a Stridsberg multicoupler.

All credit goes to @mmckenna for the recommendation.

Last edited:

cj40

Premium Subscriber
Definitely recommend that Larsen Tri-band. I have one on my truck and its solid! Performs great, handles tree branches, etc.
Far as the base mount with the ground plane, the Laird isnt bad but I'd personally go with the one that has the UHF connector (PL-259 or SO-239)
I feel they hold up better than the N connectors.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I'd personally go with the one that has the UHF connector (PL-259 or SO-239)
I feel they hold up better than the N connectors.
N connectors are much more weather-resistant than are UHF (PL259) connectors. They still need to be properly weather-sealed when used outdoors, but are much less likely to allow moisture/water intrusion.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I use one of the Larsen antennas mentioned above hooked up to my old scanner in my office at work.
Simple and effective, works just fine for what I need. You won't go wrong with one of those. It'll perform well on VHF, UHF and 7-800MHz.

The base mount gives you the necessary ground plane under the antenna as well as the bracket to mount it to a pole or other support.
Key with any antenna is to get it as high up as you safely can. The more it can 'see', the more you'll hear.

And, absolutely on the N connector base. UHF connectors are not ideal for the higher frequencies. N connectors perform better and have some inherent level of waterproofing, but when used outdoors, still require proper sealing.

Use high quality coaxial cable. Exact type will depend on how long your run is.

Consider that National Electric Code also requires proper grounding of the mast and a lightning protector where the coax enters the home.

Done right, this should be a good setup.

W5lz

I won't try to recommend a specific antenna, just one that covers the freqs you want (bunch of different brands, etc.). I can say that antenna height can and does make a difference. The higher the better and stay practical.
(A 1000gpm from an 1 1/2 would be nice but...)

Status
Not open for further replies.