Strange Interference Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDowson

I'm having a strange issue, only at certain times, where I get static on one of my saved frequencies. The frequency is 100% not in use at the moment but the scanner still stops on it. The only fix is to turn up the squelch really high but this then stops me picking up other frequencies.

Does anyone know what could be causing it? It's on 282.625 (UK mil air).

What could I try to fix it?

Video here:

a417

RFI, birdie frequency, local noisy power supply...the list goes on.

RDowson

RFI, birdie frequency, local noisy power supply...the list goes on.
Is there anything that can be done to try and stop it? I don't want to lock out the frequency as it's one that I want to hear when it's in use.

a417

systematically go around the flat and turn off breakers, or unplug devices to try to find the offending device. It could be the very power supply on the monitor you are using. If you're lucky, its in your house and you can identify it. If you're unlucky it's near enough to you to cause interference and not be something you can unplug or fix.

Switch mode power supplies can be frustrating as hell when they spew hashy noise all over your spectrum. Almost everything with a computer chip in it, that runs on mains voltage, will have one.

RDowson

systematically go around the flat and turn off breakers, or unplug devices to try to find the offending device. It could be the very power supply on the monitor you are using. If you're lucky, its in your house and you can identify it. If you're unlucky it's near enough to you to cause interference and not be something you can unplug or fix.

Switch mode power supplies can be frustrating as hell when they spew hashy noise all over your spectrum. Almost everything with a computer chip in it, that runs on mains voltage, will have one.
I could try moving the antenna too if that might help?

ind224

Do you have another receiver that can confirm or deny the issue? 121.5 is an issue for two different pro 2045's I have.

Ubbe

Try the IFX setting. It's a constant carrier that sounds like it is local. If you have a portable scanner you can set that frequency and listen with the squelch open and then walk around the house, or outside, and try and find the source. It's probably a TV or media box or something similar that gets powered on when you receive that carrier.

/Ubbe

RDowson

Turns out the antenna had fallen over. When I moved it back I noticed that the issue came and went depending on how I positioned the cable. I'm assuming there's a problem with the wiring somewhere.
I'm going to get a Diamond D777 and decent cable in the future so hopefully that'll be the permanent fix!

Ubbe

I noticed that the issue came and went depending on how I positioned the cable.
It could be the shielding in the coax that's gone bad and then works as an antenna and picks up interferences along it's way in the house. Or the interference ride on the coax to the receiver or the antenna and needs some RF ferrite chokes to stop that.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.