• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ic f121s - PTT detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesavo

Feed Provider
Is it possible to program an f121s to open or close a relay on PTT?
I want to use power another receiver and turn it off when PTT is closed. I plan to operate with a receiver near the radio and don't want to blow the receiver on transmit.

Would I use the horn output?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Doesn't appear that the circuit is there that you'd need.

the Horn circuit is for driving a horn when a radio call triggers the circuit.
There are radios that will do what you need, but the F121 was kind of a lower tier radio and probably wasn't designed to do this sort of stuff. There might be a place internal to the radio that you could connect to do what you want, but if it's not designed for end user access, the interface might be a challenge.

There are RF controlled relays that will do what you want. They'd go in line with the coax and trigger a relay to power down your RX, or disconnect the antenna.

Might be a good option to upgrade your radio, also.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here's an expensive option:

Personally, for that price, I'd source a used Motorola CDM-750 VHF off e-bay. The 20 pin connector on the rear has programmable function pins that should give you what you need.

thesavo

Feed Provider
If I can get a cdm 750 with programming included, it may be worth the price.
Thanks for the name of the TR switch.
The next question would be, are there special considerations for connecting a voice keyer to a cdm750 ?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Where are your antenna's and what receiver are you using ? I run 4 radios in my F150 along with a scanner and never had an issue other than minimal desence of the scanner while transmitting.

thesavo

Feed Provider
I have a quarter wave mag mount a few feet away. The radio can transmitted 50 watts. I wanted to use with another radio listening on other frequencies.
I am concerned about blowing the front end on the other receiver.

thesavo

Feed Provider
Yeah, you'll desense the receiver at minimum, risk blowing the front end.

You need separation between the antennas, unless your goal is to break something.
So should I forgo the switch and just have a different antenna a few wavelengths away.

12dbsinad

If the antenna's are 24+ inches apart you probably won't blow out the front end, but will certainly render the other radio useless during transmit from severe desense. Do you need to run the radio at full output power? if you can cut it back to 25w it certainly won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.