Uniden Remote Head Project

ra7850

I tried to order one of these, as it said, "NOW SHIPPING!"...

View attachment 123273

... but it then came up with...

View attachment 123274

... kind of confusing. I guess I'm on a list, but have no idea where I am on that list or or how long it'll be before my time arrives.

I will update the website to reflect the current supply chain status. There are NO Raspberry Pi 4's available to be purchased anywhere.

Robert

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried pairing a Connect Systems BFG (Big Freakin Display) to the SDS100/200’s?
I too suffer from sunlight “bleaching” out the display on my ‘200 in my truck. I am also a ham and purchased one to pair up with Connect System’s CS800D, a DMR/VHF/UHF transceiver. It works great! The BFD is an open source display that allows for single, two or quad screens, allowing you to display more than one radio’s display at a time. It’s also fully functional as a remote head, where the radio can be tucked away.

My application was to use it to show both the ham radio and the scanner simultaneously. But software has only been written for Connect Systems offerings and one other ham radio… to date, no interest to include any scanner has been offered. Connect Systems didn’t show any interest in developing software that includes my scanner… hoping there would be enough interest on the scanner side to explore the possibilities, it would only require half the effort due to a scanner remote not needing transmitter controls.

vanhalo

I use mine everyday. I like being able to configure the scan lists now on my center console while I am on vacation.
I am quite pleased with it. It has a few quirks but its better than managing it under my seat.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
This is the Raspberry Pi equivalent of some guy standing in the parking lot outside the concert venue offering to sell you $30 seats for $150.

Pi's are VERY scarce right now, but when authorized retailers DO have any they sell them at the same prices as they did before the shortage started. But there are people (or companies) that buy them at that price and turn around and sell them for 4 or 5 times more. Some would call that "free market"; others prefer "scalping".

Another thing to consider is that the authorized retailers have taken steps to limit purchases to ONE Raspberry Pi per customer, which leads one to wonder how someone has "a bunch" to sell ....

Your best bet is to visit the websites of the various authorized retailers and get on the "back in stock" notification emails. The PiHut had some 2 gig Pi 4s available Friday afternoon (EDT) and I was lucky enough to be sitting at my computer when I got the email so I was able to place an order for one.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I'll be honest, I haven't been following this thread as much as I should and this question could be buried in there somewhere. I've been playing with my P25RX-II and the WIO Terminal. Are the communications protocols similar enough that a program for display/basic hold/scan functions only could be written for the SDS?

ra7850

I'll be honest, I haven't been following this thread as much as I should and this question could be buried in there somewhere. I've been playing with my P25RX-II and the WIO Terminal. Are the communications protocols similar enough that a program for display/basic hold/scan functions only could be written for the SDS?

My partner, mancow is his username on here, wrote the code for the device we were selling. I'm sure he will chime in when he sees this post.

Robert

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
You know, even if the prices rise a little due to the higher cost of the RPi 4's, it still worth it because it's not just a remote head, it's also has a built-in GPS unit.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I have a question for those you who have have purchased one of those super cool and fancy remote heads for an SDS scanner. My state does NOT allow windshield mounts, so what method did you use to get it up high enough for the GPS to work and to also be visible while driving without having to look down? I'm thinking possibly a vent mount out there?

garys

Premium Subscriber
That might depend on what vehicle you are putting it in.

I have a question for those you who have have purchased one of those super cool and fancy remote heads for an SDS scanner. My state does NOT allow windshield mounts, so what method did you use to get it up high enough for the GPS to work and to also be visible while driving without having to look down? I'm thinking possibly a vent mount out there?

mancow

Database Admin
I have never looked at the P25RX protocol so I can't say. I am going to guess the answer is no. The Uniden requires specific commands to spit back a long string of comma delimited data that contains display data and special use characters. Once chopped up and placed on the display the process is repeated over and over as fast as possible to create a sort of movie film frame by frame like image.

mancow

Database Admin
I've had decent GPS reception down lower inside the vehicle as well but then again I drive a Jeep so the fiberglass top likely helps a lot in that regard. GPS performance would be greatly enhanced by separating the GPS from the display more but there is only so much room inside. I will look into gps antenna leads with SMA ends in the future so a higher gain external antenna could be used.

mancow

Database Admin
Has anyone tried pairing a Connect Systems BFG (Big Freakin Display) to the SDS100/200’s?
I too suffer from sunlight “bleaching” out the display on my ‘200 in my truck. I am also a ham and purchased one to pair up with Connect System’s CS800D, a DMR/VHF/UHF transceiver. It works great! The BFD is an open source display that allows for single, two or quad screens, allowing you to display more than one radio’s display at a time. It’s also fully functional as a remote head, where the radio can be tucked away.

My application was to use it to show both the ham radio and the scanner simultaneously. But software has only been written for Connect Systems offerings and one other ham radio… to date, no interest to include any scanner has been offered. Connect Systems didn’t show any interest in developing software that includes my scanner… hoping there would be enough interest on the scanner side to explore the possibilities, it would only require half the effort due to a scanner remote not needing transmitter controls.

I looked over the BFG source code a few months ago. It's an entirely different animal and would be a completely new project with all new code since it's STM32 based. I don't have time to head down that road, unforunately.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Most states have restrictions regarding blocking the visibility when looking out thru your windshield. It includes items attached to your windshield and dash. But it’s mostly boilerplate, something the feds ask to be included, just like cell phone (electronic devices) usage. They suggest inclusion of such restrictions under threat the state runs the risk of loosing federal highway safety funding should they ignore inclusion in their state statutes. But it’s a moot point. Dash cams are usually attached to the windshield without objection, and while the remote display you refer to is a bit bigger than a dash cam, and should be mounted to the dash instead of the windshield, you won’t run into any problems with the authorities if it’s not mounted as a blatant disregard for visibility. (I was recently involved in a minor accident where I didn’t see an approaching car coming from my left, at an intersection where I was making a right hand turn. I didn’t see the car coming. While the cop said I had the right-of-way, the person who last could avoid an accident would also bear part of the blame. The reason I didn’t see the approaching car?… the left “A” post of my vehicle blocked out my view of the approaching car. So, do the feds enact a law that eliminates “A” post blind spots because they block visibility? We know that’s not happening anytime soon. “A” posts have become bigger over the years due to crash worthiness issues that require stronger roofs which don’t collapse down into the passenger compartment during rollovers. So the feds allow for “A” post blind spots. It’s basically a trade off where one rule contradicts another.) Go ahead and mount your device anywhere you like, but take into consideration it should be as less obtrusive as possible. The worst you should expect if cited for this is a requirement for inspection by your state motor vehicle dept., in which case you remove the unit before the inspection. Tell the inspector why you got the citation and ask if they can suggest an acceptable location for the device, where it doesn’t add to driver distraction, meaning a location that doesn’t require you to take your eyes off the road for more than a glance. Afterwards, you can remount your device as per instructed. But it’s highly unlikely you will ever be cited to begin with (unless you pissed off some local yokel cop who has it in for you and is watching every move you make!).

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Take a look at www.ProClipsUSA.com and www.rammount.com. I've cobbled parts from both to mount my SDS100, and others on here have done the same with a variety of radios.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Hello to the group,

I have skimmed through the pages of this project and find it quite interesting. I would like to try out the system with my SDS200. I am not clear on one thing, and I apologize for upfront because I have not read every post and might have missed it. But, am I able to download the RPI image and build this system up myself without going through the website that the designer(s) created? Or is ordering a system through the website the only way to obtain this particular display system?

I would greatly appreciate any responses.

Regards,