Rio Rancho - scanner questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cd1229

Premium Subscriber
Now that Rio Rancho Police and Fire have gone mostly digital, I will need to upgrade my scanner. I currently have a BC125AT, which is all I ever needed until now. Two questions:

1. Apparently, some scanners don't work well with Simulcast. Can someone tell me if there have been Simulcast issues when listening, since they've gone digital?

2. Also, any suggestions on a good scanner that will work with the digital system?

Thank you!

kq5m

Feed Provider
If you are looking for an actual scanner the Uniden SDS line will do it for you, keep in mind you will also need to purchase the ProVoice Upgrade Key.

The other alternative is to use something like Unitrunker or SDRTrunk and RTL-SDR dongles, you'll need a computer to leave operating to go this route.

There are pluses and minus to with each of those. Some say the UniTrunker/SDRTrunk-RTL-SDR route will save you money, but you need a PC which is an additional cost and certainly not as portable as an SDS100 since you are using a handheld scanner now.

I'm currently using a pair of Uniden BCD536HPs running the latest firmware and I've not had issues with simulcast.

I've not purchased an Uniden SDS scanner yet as encryption is something I think will be an issue over the longer term. As we've seen with the APD talkgroups they can go silent at a movements notice. So if you have a spare PC around you may want to give the UniTrunker/SDRTrunk-RTL-SDR route a go.

73 es Dave

cd1229

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for an actual scanner the Uniden SDS line will do it for you, keep in mind you will also need to purchase the ProVoice Upgrade Key.

The other alternative is to use something like Unitrunker or SDRTrunk and RTL-SDR dongles, you'll need a computer to leave operating to go this route.

There are pluses and minus to with each of those. Some say the UniTrunker/SDRTrunk-RTL-SDR route will save you money, but you need a PC which is an additional cost and certainly not as portable as an SDS100 since you are using a handheld scanner now.

I'm currently using a pair of Uniden BCD536HPs running the latest firmware and I've not had issues with simulcast.

I've not purchased an Uniden SDS scanner yet as encryption is something I think will be an issue over the longer term. As we've seen with the APD talkgroups they can go silent at a movements notice. So if you have a spare PC around you may want to give the UniTrunker/SDRTrunk-RTL-SDR route a go.

73 es Dave
I have an old chromebook, wonder if that would work? also an even older laptop. I take it I would need a dedicated computer for the Unitrunker or SDRTrunk and RTL-SDR dongles. I'll likely stay clear of the SDS line for the same reasons you mentioned.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Just advice.

Sds200/series or,

If you're serious unication g5 pager then have premium sub on rr. Import the system. You'll like it.

kq5m

Feed Provider
Why do you need the ProVoice upgrade. It appears that Rio Rancho is on the NM DTRS P25 system. The only EDACS systems shown in NM are analog only.
Correct. ProVoice upgrade not needed to listen to the P25 systems.

My suggestion is if you are going to get a SGS scanner to get the keys along with it.

73 es Dave

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I believe the only remaining use of edacs that way is basic city services if any at all anymore. The old may be there in event of a failure but highly unlikely as they switched everyone over to motorola hardware.

Las cruces would be last dinosaur on edacs with analog use and 2 on encrypted plus pro voice which would be useless as those 2 talkgroups are encrypted anyway. Eventually they will be phase 2 down road as they have their own system and won't be joining state they are slowly upgrading to support phase 2 harris.

Hobbs that system is long deprecated in terms on LE any LE use minus some using the old portables in simplex for training or not relevant things.

joebu

I've not purchased an Uniden SDS scanner yet as encryption is something I think will be an issue over the longer term. As we've seen with the APD talkgroups they can go silent at a movements notice.

Hi Dave, in reference to your comment about APD going silent, does that happen often? I just got an SDS100 and have been listening for a week or so now, and today i havent heard anything on the APD channel. I was starting to think I messed up the programming. When this happens are they switching to encrypted channels for their dispatch?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I've not purchased an Uniden SDS scanner yet as encryption is something I think will be an issue over the longer term. As we've seen with the APD talkgroups they can go silent at a movements notice.

Hi Dave, in reference to your comment about APD going silent, does that happen often? I just got an SDS100 and have been listening for a week or so now, and today i havent heard anything on the APD channel. I was starting to think I messed up the programming. When this happens are they switching to encrypted channels for their dispatch?

They are currently on respective tac channels that are essentially to public tac but in reality secure dispatch channels per division. Some in know may throw a bone of why at times other times it's made clear why on their own official end.

It is also possible with current events occurring this is why it is being secured up north. Which is expected due to crime increase during certain events temporarily or could be permanent.

Infact there was some concerned while back with some youtube heroes stalking law enforcement showing up to calls or fresh traffic stops heckling LE or the people stopped.

I have good word NM plans to throw a law in similar to AZ on distance on must be and recording first responders. AZ it is ten feet and only applies to LE. NM talks are in works to address all public servsnts in a future law. Aside from that some have seen a solution for the issue who have ability or want to.

kq5m

Feed Provider

APD had moved to their encrypted division dispatch TGs twice since they moved to the NM DTRS system. The first time was shortly after they fully moved to the system and it lasted two weeks if my memory serves me correctly. This time it may or may no be permanent...

Status
Not open for further replies.