Allegheny County P25 System Application

jlinko

Premium Subscriber
This past week, Allegheny County Dept. of Emergency Services applied to the FCC to license a 6-site P25 Phase II system, using T-Band frequencies.
Link to the application on FCC ULS is here.

ffemt134

Looks like it might be a system for Pittsburgh....all of the sites are within the city itself or in places that would cover the neighborhoods that are on the very outskirts.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
So, the rumor a friend told me, whose dad is a local fire chief, said, they had a meeting a month or so ago with several chiefs, EMS chiefs, police chiefs and other officials about what to do with the interference on certain frequencies. What was happening is there was on several occasions, music, circus music, etc. being transmitted on fire ops channels. Therefore, causing malicious interference to fire dept operations. The county's new radio guy is tired of unauthorized radios being on the county's frequencies. So, he wants the whole county to go P25 digital phase 2 to prevent unauthorized transmissions on the system. The rumor is PD will be encrypted. Not sure what is going to happen to the self-dispatched areas or even the city itself. The radio guy wants the county to be on the new digital system within 2 years. Guess we will have to wait and see what happens between now and then. I did see on the FCC ULS that the license request was returned, not sure as to why.

jlinko

Premium Subscriber
There were meetings last November, held in person and online, where the county touched on their future plans for system development as well as radio purchases for public safety agencies using American Rescue Plan funds. The county released a video of these meetings that is available at

I don't remember any specific concerns about interference except about the Quaker Valley area getting co-channel interference on their 490 MHz channels from TV stations in the Midwest, and possibly looking for some 470 freqs to move them to.

I can tell you that in the digital age it's a pretty sad state of affairs when emergency operations can be interfered with using no more than a $50 Baofeng portable. The migration to P25, and interfacing with the rest of the region via ICORRS, is long overdue, and today's scanners and SDR hobbyist equipment are up to the task to monitor it.

The real battle will be to assure that as much as possible, without causing undue threat to public safety responders, the bulk of the radio traffic remains unencrypted. Accountability and the public interest demands it.

daine1619

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it might be a system for Pittsburgh....all of the sites are within the city itself or in places that would cover the neighborhoods that are on the very outskirts.
I was thinking the same thing but both have the FCC ID: WQKI226 is affected but the frequencies listed on that call sign are County Tactical Ops, County Wide Public Saftey 3, and East Police 3.

jlinko

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking the same thing but both have the FCC ID: WQKI226 is affected but the frequencies listed on that call sign are County Tactical Ops, County Wide Public Saftey 3, and East Police 3.
That call sign is for one site, the tower in North Braddock. One of the new proposed sites is in Wilkinsburg near the Parkway exit, so that seemed redundant. That's one thing I'm wondering about too - what does the associated license have to do with the proposed system if it's at a different site?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I’ve heard rumors that the city would switch to p25 conventional, guessing that ship has sailed?.
They had already started with Ops, admin and some t/a channels.

Honestly just going p25 conventional countywide would shut down the punks with their baofengs with no id blasting music on fire channels. Keep an existing channel for analog paging and ops are p25. Plus turn off the repeater on paging channels.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I'll keep an ear on those freqs and check regularly (more and more as times goes on) to see when the site may go online.

ffemt134

Aside from the obvious cost involved being an issue, I see it as a good thing overall if it happens. There's been a need for more ops channels for quite some time, and the response was always that there are no more frequencies available in this area to do so. Plus, then you wouldn't have idiots blasting circus music over certain fire department's calls with unidentified radios.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
The whole reason they are looking at this system is to stop the people with cheap baofeng radios and basement programmers just programming radios on their channels.