• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is ANYBODY making Saber-R batteries these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've come across a few Astro Saber Rs and they're good working radios. I can't stand the thought that they just need batteries to be usable.

I can't believe NOBODY is making Saber R batteries...not that I can find.

Even if I just had some shells, I could refit them with some Li-Ion cells and a regulator circuit. That's more work but it's possible to do.

I think there's room in the housing for three 16550 cells. Or it's close.

Does anybody know of a source for Saber R batteries, new or used, or shells?

N4KVE

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but I too was in your boat. I simply removed the radio from the R shell, & popped it into a regular shell so I could use normal Saber batteries.

mbnv992

I have a bunch of Saber R radios. There’s a seller on eBay who sells Saber R batteries freshly refurbished with new cells but he wants a fortune for them ( $185 if I remember right ).
Here’s just some of my Saber R collection -

D168447A-D397-4BF4-BB57-CA773518F4C4.jpeg

mbnv992

Oh and as far as a company making brand new R batteries - they don’t exist anymore. I’ve looked absolutely everywhere. Last company ( aftermarket ) that made them was Alexander Technologies and this was back in the early 2000’s ( maybe 2004 ? ) they they discontinued them.
That would be absolutely amazing if a battery company would start making these again but I VERU highly doubt it.

prcguy

25 years ago I would have printed out this picture and held it up with one hand......

I have a bunch of Saber R radios. There’s a seller on eBay who sells Saber R batteries freshly refurbished with new cells but he wants a fortune for them ( $185 if I remember right ).
Here’s just some of my Saber R collection -

View attachment 125734

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have repacked several standard Saber batteries with Lithium Ion. Also you can buy standard LiIon SABER batteries and wall wart charger on ebay from HK seller RadioShoppe (?). You can buy the charger alone. Two Lithium Ion cells with BMS (series 7.2-8.4V) will power the radio just fine. You will need a 2 cell wall wart charger from ebay. I recommend one with a coaxial DC connector and mating jack at the base of the battery to recharge. You will end up with a battery 6 oz lighter and 3 times as powerful.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I'd be willing to reach out to a company that had the molds and tooling for R batteries and try to make a deal for that equipment, or get them to do a final run and sell me the parts and let me deal with loading the cells into them myself. If the cost of entry wasn't great, it might be modestly profitable or at least pay for itself.

I've done that sort of thing a couple times, with varying degrees of success. One of my side hustles is providing very high quality reproduction front and rear faceplates for vintage (60s and 70s) era Marshall guitar amplifiers. That's been a pretty solid little side hustle.

One thing I wish Motorola had done was make the Astro Saber R in a III version. But only I and II versions were ever made.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I'd be willing to reach out to a company that had the molds and tooling for R batteries and try to make a deal for that equipment, or get them to do a final run and sell me the parts and let me deal with loading the cells into them myself. If the cost of entry wasn't great, it might be modestly profitable or at least pay for itself.

I've done that sort of thing a couple times, with varying degrees of success. One of my side hustles is providing very high quality reproduction front and rear faceplates for vintage (60s and 70s) era Marshall guitar amplifiers. That's been a pretty solid little side hustle.

One thing I wish Motorola had done was make the Astro Saber R in a III version. But only I and II versions were ever made.

A DIY kit of fresh Saber and Saber R battery shells in short/medium/long might be an attractive product for sale on E Bay. The effort to cut apart old batteries is a PITA. Let the buyer install whatever cells they wish.

Also a 3D printed spacer for CR123A primary batteries in series and parallel arrangement might be attractive for disposable power. AA batteries won't supply enough power. I think it may take 6 CR123A batteries, though I have not tried it.

1660090356584.png

1660090462732.png

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I THINK that two 18550 li-ion cells is quite sufficient. They can be had as large as 3400 mAH or more and two at full charge will deliver 7.4 volts. With a decent buck-boost converter that's 7.5 volts until it's too dead to run anything.
I'll know once I crack a battery open (a regular Saber battery is sufficient of course) and test fit various cells to it.

If I can make a decent run at this, opening the existing battery will be handled by a local machine shop using a fixture and a miling machine that will precisely cut out the bottom lid. For reassembly I'd recommend silicone to put the lid back on, which would make the battery serviceable for future cell replacements if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.