• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto Replacing RM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANE_KI6OAA

Closet Nerd
Premium Subscriber
An unverified rumor is that Motorola will be phasing out RM and replacing it with Radio Central (Motorola Hosted - Annual Subscription).

Which they are calling Codeplugs "Configurations" instead of "Templates" LoL

Can anyone else verify this rumor?

IMPRES2

An unverified rumor is that Motorola will be phasing out RM and replacing it with Radio Central (Motorola Hosted - Annual Subscription).
Not totally right, and not completely wrong.
RM is not going away anytime soon. The product just recently underwent the first of several “customer feedback enhancements” where the RM product team met with users for several days to see how it’s being used in production environments, as both private and commercial.
Radio Central is Motorola’s Gen3 programming product. It is “currently” only cloud based and is a monthly recurring cost (or annually recurring) for end users, not partners/dealers. Radio Central cannot program radios via cable right now; only via LTE. Which natively means it’s only current use is for LTE capable (Gen3 devices). There are plans to add ability for Gen2 devices by Q2-2023, but I’m not holding my breath.

Which they are calling Codeplugs "Configurations" instead of "Templates" LoL
“Codeplugs” in RM have been called Confugurations since CPS 2.0 first debuted many years ago. Templates haven’t been “supported” in the last three years.

crazyboy

This was their plan a couple years ago, they changed their mind after hearing feedback. I wouldn’t be surprised to see additional fees for self hosted RM in the future though.

jthorpe

You can program a NXT through a cable now so there's that. I run RM and RC, and I HATE RC. Especially pooling talkgroups in the system. I am not sure why they tried to fix what wasn't broken and leave all of the TG info in the personality, with the zone pointing to it, and the personality pointing to the system.

redrock2002

RM is not going away anytime soon. The product just recently underwent the first of several “customer feedback enhancements” where the RM product team met with users for several days to see how it’s being used in production environments, as both private and commercial.
I would like to know what enhancements are in the works!!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You can program a NXT through a cable now so there's that. I run RM and RC, and I HATE RC. Especially pooling talkgroups in the system. I am not sure why they tried to fix what wasn't broken and leave all of the TG info in the personality, with the zone pointing to it, and the personality pointing to the system.
Did they ever resolve the bug in RC that truncates data sets every time you save a configuration resulting in invalid fields that made jobs fail? Honestly once we provisioned our NEXTs we don't bother with the technical abortion known as RC and wire program them with standalone CPS.

RC is trash. Help files? Tutorials? Ha ha. Jokes on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.